My Puppy's A Delinquent

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 15, 2009.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 15, 2009

So I had professionals to the house to come help Ruby. She does typical puppy stuff which doesn't concern me so much as a terrible biting issue. It's not aggressive, she's not growling or fear biting--it's more nipping, but it hurts and I have bruises not to mention a few times she's drawn blood. I really want to socialize her but I'm afraid for her to get near people (she probably senses that).

Their diagnosis... she's a juvenile delinquent :blush:. They said it was much more challenging than they have encountered before, she's got a very dominant personality. My GT coordinator told me she thinks Ruby's just gifted and talented and misunderstood (I like that thought better). So the techniques they showed me aren't working and I have to wait until next Tuesday for them to come back :(. Luckily it's a lifetime guarantee-they have to help her until I don't need them anymore. They may be sorry about that!

She meets my mom's 2 boxer puppies (9 months) this weekend-I'm curious to see how she acts-maybe they will put her in her place. My mom bought a little solid plastic pool for them to play in. Should be interesting! :) Anyway, thought I'd update.

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

I'll talk to my DeeOhGee about it she tells me a lot of things

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 15, 2009

What do you do when she nips at you? You are supposed to take her by the scruff of the neck and give her a good shake - might take two hands if she is strong. This is doggy mama talk for "Knock it off or else!" Or, pin her down by holding onto the scruff of the neck - make her show you her belly and submit.

Do you watch Dog Whisperer?

What a cutie though! My pug/poodle gave me some bruises too when she was little, but we worked hard with her. Now we can "play" rough, she will put her mouth on my hand and growl ferociously, but "no bite!"

5. jab87

jab87 Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I had to laugh because my dog goes to doggie day care and got in-school suspension today. He tried to get in a fight with another dog but they intervened so nobody was hurt. He is usually the sweetest dog. I guess everyone has a bad day.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 15, 2009

Sometimes there are things going on with dogs that aren't real noticeable to people, just the one starting the fight, just like kids. Poor baby.

7. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 15, 2009

Please research several methods of dealing with "mouthing" before resorting to physical tactics - especially the alpha roll described here, which is a controversial and outdated method. Mouthing is certainly not always a dominance issue, and by treating it as one you are not only not addressing the problem - you could be creating new ones.

I hope the trainers were helpful, and that they are experience with GSD breed.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 15, 2009

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

DeeOhGee said that the pup will grow out of it
    [​IMG]

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2009

This made me laugh!! :lol:

11. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Most dog behavior issues are dominance issues. The dog needs to know who's in charge, and your pup might still be trying to battle for that top spot. I LOVE the dog whisperer, and his DVD's may help a lot. The most important thing is that you don't give in when its doing something bad. Stick to your guns and make the dog stop - alpha roll included. It's not a rough physical thing and it actually makes for a healthier, happier dog when they know what to expect from you. I remember puppy biting and its no fun! Good luck!

12. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 15, 2009

Buster had that a couple times. When I came to pick him up he was so embarrassed! However, he was known as the good-natured dog too. The "wranglers" used him as an example of how to get a dog into their kennel for nap time for new hires.

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 15, 2009

I hope you get that issue taken care of. I adopted the sweetest 1.5 year old dog two years ago. (Right now she is sound asleep right next to me:wub:) She is truly sweet but nips in a similar way. It has gotten better. She listens to "no" very well which has helped. I also make my hand go limp if she is nipping at my hand to play. I heard something to the effect that they nip to get a reaction and if you go limp instead they see nipping doesnt get them what they wanted. It has decreased my dogs nipping and her intensity. She used to REALLY hurt too.

14. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 15, 2009

I also heard the same thing.

15. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 16, 2009

A dog can know what to expect from you without being flipped over.

Again, this is an old and controversial method - which MOST reputable dog trainers do not use anymore. Cesar Milan is not the only dog trainer in the world, and like most of the stuff on TV, I think its crap.

Furthermore, a true alpha leader can express their dominant position without resorting to forced physical tactics. Do you hold your kid down on the floor everytime he/she tests you?

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 16, 2009

I have a feeling I'm going to need this thread soon... Mine is nipping, but at 8 weeks, she really responds to us barking a kind of "No" sound and pulling our hand away.

My vet said to not dangle your fingers, either, when you say no. Curl your hands or feet into "fists" because it's harder to bite them that way.

17. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

Believe me, I'm not saying to abuse your dog. I think some people do the 'alpha roll' in a very violent way, but it is not always the case. I'm a dog lover and would never want anyone to hurt a dog! I perhaps have a skewed vision of training as my husband is a K9 police officer, and their training tactics are by all means pretty harsh. I don't train my lab the same way, but have seen the benefits of being the 'alpha dog' with my own pet. I've never had to alpha roll him, but there are certainly subtle ways to show your dominance, like always making the dog wait behind you to walk through a door, or always walking the dog on your left. Some dogs are very dominant minded and need a little more than a clicker and treats. :)

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 16, 2009

Kalli - I completely agree with you there. One of the reasons I chose the trainers I did was because they don't use physical response! And I know you are very knowledgeable in the area so I'm glad you second that. I am constantly thinking about your previous advice - Kalli said her dog went through something similar and is fine now :).

We changed her food to one with more natural products-no corn (turns to sugar, can add to hyperactivity). And I'm trying to wear her out playing outside as much as possible-although it's soooo hot. I have commands to use and am just being consistent. I don't have a problem staying calm - I'm just so used to saying "no" and didn't realize until the trainers pointed it out --I point with my finger when correcting her (I wonder if I do that subconsciously with the kids)-I've had to condition myself.

I certainly didn't mean to start a controversy here- just kind of venting about my little brat (said with affection). I complain about parents of unruly children at school so maybe this is karmic justice - I have my own little juvi!

Irishdave: that dog sure has the life! Thanks for asking her for Ruby!

Jab87- don't worry - my mom's called me once after her dogs were in Puppy Preschool for a week and said "is it bad if their teachers are sending notes home" and I said "are they happy faces or sad faces?" They were more uh-oh faces.

Tasha - thanks for the links - I will definitely check that out.

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

My son's dog is a JD too he eats stuff: insurance letters, photo albums, sidewalk chalk. he has tried to chew up DeeOhGee but she bites back

20. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I will be PMing you but it sounds like you are doing all the right things! Believe me, 99.9% of GSD puppies are maniacs!

21. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

Today I took my JD along with my other dog to get pedicures (nails trimmed). As I opened the door to the vet, JD pulled back swiggled out of her collar and ran into the parking lot. I screamed her name. The vet tech came running out and grabbed the other dog and my purse. I screamed, "Bella, sit!". Believe or not she sat!!!! (She is a puppy school drop out). I grabbed her and took her inside. JD also tried to bite the vet tech when they were trimming her nails....Not a good day.

I was so lucky the parking lot is busy. I usually put my dogs in harnesses when I walk them, but thought I didn't need them for the short walk from the car to the vet's office.

I went to a doctor's appointment after the vet visit both numbers on my blood pressure reading were over 110. :eek:hmy:

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 16, 2009

I really hope everything turns out positively! I can't relate because my dog never had behavioral problems.

23. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 17, 2009

Puppies will nip, and they absolutely need something appropriate to chew on. But I have to disagree - also not to start a controversy - but the techniques Cesar Milan uses are very firm but extremely gentle. Dogs aren't kids, so of course you don't treat a dog like your child or your child like your dog. haha!

Gently but firmly placing your dog in the position of submission tells him in dog language "I am the boss." I also would never physically hurt a dog, so that is why I like Dog Whisperer's techniques. He has such patience with dogs that I would have given up on long ago!

Anyway, I am with everyone else - hope the trainers find what will work for your puppy. They really are intent on dominating us and we have to stand up to them. But, puppies need lots of things to chew on because of their puppy teeth, and later, because that is what they just love to do! Our puppy chewed our brand new kitchen cabinets :( and then moved on to chewing our brand new siding! I thought her life was going to be a short one, as DH was NOT amused. I ran to the vet begging for help, and they sold me some BitterApple, which ended the problem. puppies need to chew approved items, but leaving bruises on Master, well, that just would not fly in the real dog world - it is a bad habit. Don't mean to sound lecturing - my main point is hurray for you having a new puppy and getting good training!

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 17, 2009

I've told my dog (black lab/chow, think chow temperment) that I am the Alpha. She's great with us, but horrible with anyone else. She's a big baby!

25. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 17, 2009

It's funny you should mention that. I went back on my blood pressure meds too. I figure it's the same stress a new mom probably goes through.

26. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

...but so worth it. :wub:

27. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 18, 2009

Very true! I love watching her grow. I need to post new pics she was about 13 pounds in the pic on my avatar-she's up to 22 now. I won't be able to even pick her up soon.