My Principal's So Cool

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Feb 27, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 27, 2010

How cool :cool: is this? Last time my class did an art project, my P said next time you do one, invite me to make one too-so the kids can see it doesn't have to be perfect. Well on Friday we were making a banner-the kids were all sprawled out on the floor coloring and he came in-dressed to the 9's and got down on the floor to color with them. They corrected him, which I thought was funny (I usually don't give much direction in art but since we had to read the letters on the sign, I told them to outline it with one color and color it in with another). Apparently he wasn't doing it that way.

I told the kids-I've never seen a P do that before and they were very special. I think he's such a great P. Anyone else have admin do something cool like that?

3. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 27, 2010

never. but that is totally great!! what a great principal you must have!

4. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Feb 27, 2010

Wow - this is truly special. My principal is also amazing. She comes into my classroom daily and just walks around talking to kids or helping them with assignments. It is awesome!

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 27, 2010

That's a fantastic story, thanks for sharing it!

My P took my class during Valentine's Day so I could go to my daughter's class party. I thought that was amazingly cool.

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Feb 27, 2010

Cool! One of my former principals used to do jump roping with the kids in the morning. He even wore sneakers (dressed in slacks, dress shirt and tie) to do a jump roping contest with the kids.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2010

Your principal does sound cool and fantastic!! So far, I haven't had any super outstanding Ps like yours (in fact, two of my P's I've worked for have been fired!!!! One is barely making it :(). This year, I do really like my P, but this is her first year and it's a year of trial and error for her. But she is trying! :) I hope we can have her next year again because I'm sure things will start to run more smoothly and she can get more involved. :)

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2010

Several years ago, the principal I had at the time allowed the students to "duct-tape" her to the gym wall after they met the goal of reading a certain number of books in a month. Our current P will sign up for a turn in the dunk-tank at our Spring Fun Fair.

9. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Feb 28, 2010

My P rocks! But then again, she taught for over 20 years before she went into admin.

*she takes our class for about 30 min. twice a year to read a story and sing songs with them

*she writes the teachers encouraging notes

*we invited her to come sing and dance "The Tooty Ta" with our class, and she came! :)

*she hosts "The Teacher's Academy Awards" at the end of each year to brag on us for a kid that we've helped

*she knows all of the kids by name

*she runs study hall at lunch every day and tutors kids during that time

*she genuinely cares about all of the kids and finds little ways to show them that

*she has a HEART and inspires me :)

okay, end of love fest! ;)

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 28, 2010

That is really cool! I haven't ever worked with a P. that has done that, but there is always hope, right? It is wonderful when a P. doesn't forget what it is like to be a classroom teacher!

11. Jungle

Jungle Companion

Feb 28, 2010

My principal/superintendent (yes, she does both!!) is the best! She comes in to our rooms on a day to day basis and is so supportive of everyone! She knows all the children by name and is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure everyone is doing their best. She taught for many years before becoming an administrator and her heart is still in the classroom. She is retiring this year and I am going to miss her so much!!

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 28, 2010

My former P was the best. He really made an effort to know all of the students, he frequently went on the playground during recess. My mom teaches preschool at my school. When he went into her room they were on the carpet so down he went suit and all. He took a group as a reward to a Baseball game (minors). When We made our API growth (and them some) he let me spray his hair Dodgers colors (He's an Angels fan) and students shaved his head. One time when he came in for an informal observation, we were taking a math test. I gave him a copy of the test (habit of handing him what we work on if he sits down instead of walking through). The kids "Oooooooed" me for giving it to him, so he grabbed scratch paper and got right to work. LOL

13. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Feb 28, 2010

Our principal is wonderful too! For Read Across America Day this Tuesday, she'll be coming around to each class to read Dr. Seuss books.....dressed in a full Cat in the Hat costume! Fun!

14. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Feb 28, 2010

What awesome principals and administration everyone has. We have morning program and it is a yearly tradition that all three administrators from each building and our superintendent come and dance the tooty-ta with the k-2 students. Also, my principal will be coming in my room for an hour to man a center on Tuesday during our Dr. Seuss centers.