My principal is stressing me out! (long)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tiredteacher29, Aug 14, 2007.

1. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

So school hasn't even started and I'm already wanting to kill my new principal.

1. Training is next Monday, Thursday, and Friday. I haven't been able to get into my classroom yet b/c the carpets are all torn out and will be in by Sunday. I will have four days (including the weekend) to move all my stuff into my classroom and get it set up. There are 12 other new teahcers on staff as well.

2. I found out this morning that my job assignment is changing as well as my teaching partner. Part of the reason I agreed to this job was to work with this person.

3. I worked in this district for five years and then somewhere else for the last two years. I've also lived in this town all my life. My principal is making me go to the new teacher training, the bus tour through town, and the setting up your classroom spiel.

AAAHHHHH!! :help:

3. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 15, 2007

OUch! I will pray for you! ~SK

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2007

Yikes!

5. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 15, 2007

oh man that bites. can't you just take an opt out test? ;)

6. k5justme

k5justme Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Now what you mean...

Been there done that! :woot: Anyway, things are tough now but there is little that you can do to change things unless your prinicpal has some sort of epiphany that he/she really isn't being fair and that seems unlikely. Unfortunately, when we sign a contract we are only guarenteed a teaching position... The where and what grade we teach is always up for revision. Sometimes circumstances like low student numbers is a factor. Sometimes student teacher ratios play a factor. And sometimes your principal decides to do something that you feel is totally wrong. I have had principal's that said they were wrong after moving people into positions that they did not want... I have had principal's move everyone back after a few years. Teachers usually know where they belong and where they can do their best teaching. But sometimes administrators see something in a person that they don't recognize in themselves. And I will say that in every instance where a person changed grade levels, they ended up learning something about themselves that they did not know. It usually is such a change that it forces the teacher to think outside the box. And even when that teacher goes back to a position where he/she feels more comfortable, they still take with them that experience. Ultimately we all become better teachers, even when faced with a difficult situation like you are describing. It does not sound like your situation will change this school year, so SMILE and do your time and put in for a transfer if it really is not what you want to do at the end of the school year. Keep in your mind that we really are here for the kids, and that the reason we do this is for them. I know it is hard now... but you will learn and grow and learn something new about yourself. Maybe YOU were put there to mentor someone new. You never know what kind of opportunity this could end up being. I hope so!!! You are in my thoughts. Like I said, I have been there! It's not fun... but make the most of it for just this year.

7. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Wow that is insulting! I would definitely not want to do the new teacher stuff. Can you get out of it? Can you gently remind him that you are not new and have lived there your whole life and that you could really use the time to prepare your room instead?

The changing of assignments sounds pretty typical though. Annoying, but can be expected.

Sorry and good luck!

8. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I hope they're at least paying you for the training. (Probably not though)

The other things sound like things that can't really be helped. There are about 20 cafeteria tables and a couple cans of paint in my room.

9. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Honestly it isn't the actual change that is the problem. I agreed with him and was actually surprised he waited this long to move me to that position. I am very highly qualified for the position. I think it is everything else combined with having to work with a person that was voted the #1 bully in the school by the kids and still allowed to keep his job, even though he was on probation. :unsure:

10. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

Unfortunately, you are probably going to have to jump through the hoops.

Be prepared and be proactive! Plan your time wisely so that you have a legal pad to plan your thoughts for the new year, a manilla folder full of reading material, or a good teacher book to help yourself professionally!

You could also take this time to mentor these other "new teachers." Since you really do know the ropes already, help those around you. Your positive attitude towards this will be the motivator to have a great year! Otherwise, getting down and having a sucky attitude will make you grumpy to begin with, and thats no fun!!!

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2007

Been there done that own the T-shirt
    Just sit back and sing.

You had a bad day

Where is the moment we needed the most
    You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
    You tell me your blue skies fade to grey
    You tell me your passion's gone away
    And I don't need no carryin' on

You stand in the line just to hit a new low
    You're faking a smile with the coffee to go
    You tell me your life's been way off line
    You're falling to pieces everytime

Cause you had a bad day
    You're taking one down
    You sing a sad song just to turn it around
    You say you don't know
    You tell me don't lie
    You work at a smile and you go for a ride
    You had a bad day
    The camera don't lie
    You're coming back down and you really don't mind
    You had a bad day
    You had a bad day

Well you need a blue sky holiday
    The point is they laugh at what you say

You had a bad day
    You're taking one down
    You say you don't know
    You tell me don't lie
    You had a bad day
    The camera don't lie
    You're coming back down and you really don't mind
    You had a bad day

(Oh.. Holiday..)

Sometimes the system goes on the blink
    And the whole thing turns out wrong
    You might not make it back and you know
    That you could be well oh that strong
    And I'm not wrong (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeeeah)

So where is the passion when you need it the most
    Oh you and I
    You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost

Cause you had a bad day
    You're taking one down
    You say you don't know
    You tell me don't lie
    You had a bad day
    You've seen what you like
    And how does it feel for one more time
    You had a bad day
    You had a bad day

(Oh, yeah, yeaaah, yeah)
    Had a bad day
    (Oh, had a bad day)
    Had a bad day
    (Oh, yeah, yeah, yeeeeah)
    Had a bad day
    (Oh, had a bad day)
    Had a bad day...
    Had a bad day...​

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2007

Put on your big girl (or boy) panties and suck it up...Maybe by going to the new teacher training you will meet the other 'new' teachers and form a bond with them. I know the teachers I came in with will always be my friends because of the shared experiences we had. Same thing with the room set up- there are 12 of you in the same boat- make it fun. Bring in your ipod and speakers, order pizza, bring in some cold sodas and HELP EACH OTHER. Your principal is not trying to drive you crazy. You have a choice about how to handle this frustration- how about approaching it with as much enthusiasm as you can. You will certainly face bigger obstacles than this in your year of teaching. :whistle:

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 15, 2007

I agree with all this good advice - maybe approach the principal, ask if, since you did work there before, you could use the new teacher spiel time to work in the classroom. If not, then just smile and enjoy getting to know the people you will be working with, have your notepad handy for planning, etc.

As far as the bully, all I can say is, think ahead, practice assertive statements to deal with things that might come up, go in with a friendly but assertive attitude, be willing to do your fair share (I am sure you are), and try to find something good about this guy. I have worked with a bully and I really grew from the experience, but it was not fun at the time. I have also worked with people that everyone else disliked, but I was able to do it because I went in with the attitude that I judge people according to the first hand experience I have with them, not on what I have heard about them. I have met lots of interesting and not so bad people this way.

It is alarming when so much is thrown at us all of a sudden right before school starts, but if you can change the thing around and try to find the positives you will do yourself a big favor. Good luck! let us know how things progress.

14. k5justme

k5justme Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

DOn't worry... You will do fine. You already have a head's up on the "bully" so, just document, smile, and close your classroom door. The best way to deal with a tough situation is to keep your chin up, document throughout the year, and if things are difficult like you are assuming then, ask for a transfer the following year. You will have the documentation to show that you deserve a change and you are a real team player. Remember that the kids are your #1 concernright now and look to them for love and laughter to enhance your days.

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2007

Unless you want more problems, I'd say you have to suck it up. Sure, it may be a waste of time for you.... but it may be a lot worse if you don't go. You don't want to start the year off with a bad impression.

I say make friends and give the person you are working with the benefit of the doubt.

Think positive. Things will work out.

16. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Aug 16, 2007

As for the tour of the town...this happened to me with my first teaching job that was in my hometown. It was a little silly to have to do, but it is part of the bonding process with the other new teachers. Also you can add to the tour by including some of the lesser know sites like where to get the best coffee, sandwiches, etc.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2007

You're on the "new teacher" whirlwind of pre-planning useless meetings because you taught somewhere else for the past two years. The curriculum, procedures might have been changed.

But me, I wouldn't "suck it up" and go on a tour of the town or the setting up your classroom spiel. It's not pertinent information I need, and time is far too precious during preplanning. I'll make friends as the new teachers come in the building. I'll help them set up, take them to lunch at my "special place", etc. when we need to take a break. Make me sit through meetings or go on tours at the beginning of the year? Forget it. Plan it for some time when I'm not trying to get organized. Speak up. Ask him if anything has changed regarding room set-ups, then get started figuring out a way to deal with this bully, and what you're going to do to make learning happen in your area. I don't see why we have to put on our "big boy panties" over something as non-sensical as that.
    If I've explained my case, and I have to do it anyway, well, then, I'll enjoy myself and not whine.

18. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 24, 2007

I'm sorry but I think that is just SO offensive! I cannot stand when people say that! How rude!

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2007

The message or the panties?
    big girl panties---an expression that is used to say "Grow Up, Move On and Be An Adult"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=big+girl+panties

20. miscue

miscue Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

What is your union/contract support speak to regarding this new teacher repeat stuff? We just got a real disrespectful DEMAND from our principal and it starts your year poorly. But often the demands are against your contract. If so, simply don't go. There will be no way for any legit reprimand. Can you get advice from a district union officer?
    Also, you reminded me of a time 15 years ago (yikes) when I left my former middle school to teach 4th grade. It was in a new portable. I sat the whole week before school started in the teacher lounge and did what I could because NO ONE COULD SET FOOT IN MY PORTABLE UNTIL THE FINAL INSPECTION BY THE CITY--THEY KEPT DELAYING. Finally, the day before school starts, permission is given for people to enter. All of the staff is directed to carry out one desk and chair. There was NO teacher furniture or storage area. 5 minutes after all the desks were set inside the pipe broke(there was a bathroom) and water went gushing through the portable and thankfully mostly out the door. Jump ahead 5 hours and I am putting posters on the wall at 11pm the night before school started. My teacher desk until Jan. was 2 student desks. Hang in there.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

Thanks, Dave. Who knew I was so hip?

Truly I wasn't meaning to offend but was reacting to the whining. There are many unemployed teachers on the boards who would give their teeth to be in these 'overwhelmed' positions that other teachers are complaining about. Professionals are proactive about their work conditions. If they have a question about a requirement or a request, they seek more information. Administrators are not trying to drive anyone crazy (for the most part). So when I say put on your big girl panties I mean DEAL WITH IT like a PROFESSIONAL.

AND if you'll notice, Sitting in a Tree, my post put a positive spin on what the OP was complaining about. Sometimes it's a matter of attitude. Be positive, smile, make it fun and you might actually enjoy yourself.

22. princi"pal"

princi"pal" New Member

Aug 28, 2007

Hang in there!

O.K....here's some advice from a principal. First, many of the things you mention are sometimes decisions that are made out of the principal's jurisdiction...for example..the condition of the room. There are many times I am waiting for maintenance to come to the building to finish an unfinished job, only to hear that another building had a larger problem than my own...then, unfortunately, the teacher has to deal with the results of that unfortunate circumstance. You mention your job assignment isn't what you expected. Often, a bigger picture is at work. Principals need to shuffle people in other buildings which then has a domino effect throughout the district. You also mention that you taught in the district for five years, left for two and are now returning. In the last two years, there have been many changes in policies, procedures and even expectations for our teachers since 2014 is rapidly approaching. Your principal, once again, may have no choice in sending you to the induction training. In my district, all "new" teachers need to go to induction (whether you've been here or not, or have been in the classroom for 8 years in a neighboring district) just to hear the latest expectations in classroom set up, management, technology, etc. Also, the LAST thing you should do is to go to your union representative. First, approach your principal using the words..."Help me understand why...." and then fill in the blank. Unintentionally, your principal did something you are not happy about. You have to let him know this. Often, we (principals) are living on the "blue stripe on the beach ball", while teachers are living on the "red stripe on the beach ball"...and we (administrators) don't even realize it until it is too late!!!! I love when teachers "let me in" (respectfully) on the fact that I did something that they totally didn't understand!!!! If you don't get satisfaction and the principal violated your contract, then, of course go to the union. You have to decide... do you want to solve the problem? If so, go to the principal. You also mention that the principal is "new" and a "bully". Give the guy a bit of grace! Sometimes new leaders feel the only way they can get "control" is through bullying or being a bit of a dictator. I would hate to hear how my teachers perceived my new leadership skills when I became a principal 15 years ago!!! Yikes! You will do your principal a favor by "shaping" his behavior in how you approach this conflict. You may need to model for him an approach that looks more like a "courting dance" as opposed to a "march and conquer". Good Luck!...maybe you'll even get some new carpet in your room!

23. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

use these three days as a chance to network with the other new teachers. I had to do something very similar - had subbed for years in a local school and still had to go to the new staff days. I found that the other new staff and I formed a real bond on that day, we still catch each other and ask about stuff.

Use it as an opportunity to get to know people.

Don't stress about the small stuff, like setting up. Displays and other things can happen over time, just get the tables and chairs set up and get excited about this new start! (Sory to sound like Carol Brady!)