my principal is a micromanager-please help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by taurusmag, Aug 29, 2006.

1. taurusmag

taurusmag Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

Hi everyone! I posted over the weekend about this same topic, but I have had yet another bad day and I don't know how to cope with this situation. I have a new principal (first time ever principal) who nitpicks everything I do, grades my lesson plans in red ink, and sits in my classroom for 20 minutes at least once a week, if not more. After such visits, he leaves me detailed notes about all of the picayune things I need to fix. Today, he came in for such a visit, and instructed me to use the overhead for my lesson rather than having children come to the board to practice handwriting. I sent him a detailed email explaining how I had done it that way last year unsuccessfully, but am having much better results with what I am doing now. He sent me an email back saying that I must go back to the old way and use the overhead, even though it is ineffective, because the kids were getting "antsy." First graders get antsy after awhile, which is why I have them get up and move around a lot. This boss has never taught, or for that matter even observed a first grade class other than my own. The only grade he has ever taught is fifth grade, yet he feels qualified to come in and rake me over the coals. Why such piddly little things - I mean does it really make a difference? Aren't there many ways to teach the same thing correctly? We all have to find what works best for us. This may or may not work in another classroom. I am sorry this is so long, but I just don't know how to handle this. He is seriously interfering with the needs of my kids because he can't trust me to do my job. He is also sucking the life out of me - and this is just the beginning of the year! BTW, my test scores from last year were excellent and everyone was reading above grade level at the end of the year. I have given him no reason not to trust me. What should I do to get through the year? Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Taurus :)

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2006

You need to sit down with him and a union rep ASAP .

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 29, 2006

I am definitely not fond of what you are sharing. I agree with the post above. You need to go to a union representative and speak with him as well. I cannot believe that a seemingly qualified professional is acting in this manner... however, I know things will improve if you persist and continue to try your very best.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2006

Do other teachers feel the same way you do?? Maybe if a few of you approach him together (with a union rep.), it will make him think twice...

6. millie

millie New Member

Aug 30, 2006

I would check with your union representatives. If you are not on a formal improvement plan he probably doesn't have the right to be harassing you. He needs to be following a procedure. I'd ask to get his plan in writing. If possible, ask for a different direct supervisor. Are you his only target?

7. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Aug 30, 2006

If you are the only one he does this for,
    I am quite uncomfortable with this.
    My union would want to be all over this...
    You cannot teach with constant worry what he'll say next or circle in RED!

8. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Aug 30, 2006

I think there is a whole crop of principals writing their dissertations on how they can screw with their faculty.

Not that that is any help for you or the rest of us - but I find it amazing how many incompetant, ego-inflated, micromanaging principals there are.

9. latybug

latybug Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

I moved schools over a principal like this one. Definately get a union rep involved ASAP! Don't try to go this alone. Be careful what you say to others in your building. If your building was like the one I left then your principal has spies amoung your fauclty. Seek outside help. Good Luck!:angel:

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 2, 2006

I don't know what to say! I have a friend going through something similar and I just feel for you guys! My thinking is, if they thought you were good enough to hire, they should back off and let you do your job! We actually did have a kinda crazy principal last year - the whole staff was so stressed out that several left at mid year. Thankfully, he did too and now we have an angel!

Is it the kind of thing where you can just smile and keep doing your thing? He can't be there all the time. Can you do your thing, have an emergency backup plan for when he appears, then go back to your way when he leaves? little kids are going to get a lot more antsy sitting looking at an overhead and a teacher droning on than getting up and going to the blackboard - one of their most favorite activities!!!!!

Do you have a sense of self-confidence or is his ridiculous behavior tearing down your confidence? If you have the confidence, be strong and keep doing what you believe is best for your kids. Hey, you could always drop the projector bulb -"Oh the bulb is out!" They cost a lot too! I don't know anything about union reps. Do y'all think that is the way to go or could it make things worse?

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Sep 2, 2006

buy him a couple leadership books asap. gag...I hate leaders who don't know know how lead...take the advice of a union rep. sorry you're dealing with that!

12. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Sep 2, 2006

Wow. All I can say is how sorry I am. That just flat out sucks. No better way to put it. You poor thing.

13. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Sep 2, 2006

I don't know anything about union reps either, but I will tell you this... do what you need as soon as possible and keep a diary for what has happend so that you can refer to it when and if it might get worse. Sorry for what you are going through :(!

14. taurusmag

taurusmag Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

Thank you everyone for your posts. It helps so much to vent and then for people to be sympathetic to your circumstances. I don't really feel comfortable talking to people at school about it for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, I work in private school, so there is no union. The benefit of staying here is that they are paying for my graduate school. I have made the decision to do what is best for kids regardless of what I am told to do; however, I never know when he is coming to visit and tear me down. It is definitely affecting my emotional stability. I am torn most days because I don't want to get a negative evaluation from these folks and be stuck there forever! I just wish I knew how to handle him and get through the year. Other than the micromanaging, he is a pretty nice guy. He's just inexperienced. I've considered talking to him about this, but I'm not sure what to say that won't offend him and make things worse for myself and for my kids. Any suggestions?

15. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Sep 3, 2006

I know that it is tough to be in a situation like this... and you definitely have my sympathies. Here is just a thought... since you say that he is a nice guy otherwise. Try to act a little bit like you do value his ideas... and ask him for more. Like maybe if he says to use the overhead projector... tell him that you tried that before and it didn't seem to work. "Do you have any other ideas?" or " you know, I think this (writing penmanship on the board instead of using the overhead) is starting to work as it becomes more of a routine, I would like to give it a little more time. What do you think... how long do you suggest trying something before just giving up on the idea? In other words, create a diversion question without actually acknowledging that you totally disagree with what he is telling you.

16. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Sep 3, 2006

My suggestion would be....
    Definitely do things exactly the way he suggests when he is in the room....to the letter, and let him see that it does not work!!
    The rest of the time do things the way you know is best!