My poor little ADHD/ODD girl

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lemonhead, Apr 3, 2009.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 3, 2009

So today I had to send this first grader to the office. She was being so disruptive I was having a hard time teaching but the main reason I sent her was more disturbing to me.

On Monday, she had a small scratch on her arm. Tuesday it was pretty much gone but then she picked the little scab. We were sitting on the carpet for writer's workshop and all the kids started telling me she was bleeding. I told her to get a tissue and I put a bandaid on it.

Wednesday, the bandaid was gone and it looked a little better. Then she did the same thing again but this time much worse. Also at the carpet during the same time as the day before. The kids were all reacting of course. I told her mom that she was picking at it and that I had to put another bandaid on it. Yesterday it was about the same-she didn't pick. Today, she was scratching her name in the seat of the chair. I stopped her, of course. Shortly after, I saw a tissue on the floor with blood on it and I assumed it was hers, and she said it was. I asked her to pick it up and (on about the 4th request) she did. I gave her another bandaid. I talked to her again about keeping the wound clean and covered and why she shouldn't pick at it. She went to lunch and recess.

I don't know what the heck she did at recess, I was not on duty, but the former scratch in her arm was now the size of dime or nickel and it was deep and bloody.

Even though she tested practically off the charts on the ADHD-mostly impulsive and inattentive, I am thinking she has other issues. I know there is oppositional defiance as well but is trying to get attention part of it? Is she hurting herself because of other reasons?

Of course we conferenced mom by phone and she told us she already has an appointment with the neurologist in 3 weeks. She was just ID'd as ADHD/ODD and this appointment is to see about medication.

I am worried about her. Also, even though she is in her ADHD mode most of the time, about 5% of the time she shuts down, totally. Her head is down and she isn't talking to anyone.

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 3, 2009

I swear you are describing a girl that I work with in grade one.... if I didn't know better, I'd have thought you're her teacher!

All I can say is if you find a solution, let me know... both the classroom teacher and I are at our wit's end with the poor girl.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 3, 2009

Are you serious? I really don't even know what to do anymore. I just feel sick for the mom every time I have to tell her about her daughter's behavior.

Does your little girl shut down too? She did that the other day and I thought she was crying. She wasn't. Then afterschool she was fine and wanting me to see her dog in the car. I talked to her mom and told her how she just shut down on me and she told me she does it at home, too. Is your student medicated?

5. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Apr 3, 2009

What you're describing could easily fit into ADHD. It's the impulsivity that drives a lot of the behavior. You really didn't mention any extreme behavior so I'm not sure about ODD. If she continually picks at it, it seems more like OCD to me. Yes, she could be doing this to get attention but it seems like she's a little young for this. (Yes, it happens and this might be the case. However, I've seen a lot of little kiddos that you would think this is the reason for the behavior and it's actually something else.) What else is going on with her?

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 3, 2009

My two ODD/ADHD children would have picked at the wound angrily trying to "force" it to go away. The idea being if I pick at it it will get all gone. The it is getting bigger part doesn't occur to them.

Yes, the two children I am referring to shut down all the time. They are boys so 50% of the time we shut down when cornered and 50% of the time we hit/swing things.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 3, 2009

She actually is ODD. There just wasn't a lot of that behavior today. You know we aren't really sure what else is going on. She is a middle child, she is jealous of the older one, and the younger one. Mom says she is even more defiant at home than she is at school according to her tests (moms answers vs. my answers). She is mean to her friends and she can't keep friends. A few moms in my class have asked that she not play with their daughter. She is also not allowed to play with 2 other girls in two different classes. Mom thinks she is a follower but she is a sneaky leader- in the bully sense. She has stolen some things in my classroom. She doesn't finish her work. She is smart and a good reader. I believe she does things by choice. I'm not quite buying the whole ADHD as an excuse as I see more the impulsive type in her. Usually the impulsive ones do their work. She does it when she wants to.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 3, 2009

The girl I work with doesn't shut down. She is just extremely defiant, and the attention seeking behaviors are there big time. I don't know how to classify the mother other than the fact that she seems clueless as to how a parent should act, and even abusive. I would venture to guess that this particular girl is somewhere on the Fetal Alcohol Spectrum, along with a possible diagnosis of Attachment Disorder. I don't know if that fits your student or not...

I'm at the stage where I put in an unofficial emergency referral to the District Behaviour Consultant (one of my advisors) to try and get some solutions for this girl.

I actually requested that we have a surprise fire drill earlier this week because this girl would NOT put on her shoes when she was asked. Of course, the ONE time she happened to have her shoes on was during the freaking fire drill!

Finally, to answer your question regarding medication... no, she's not medicated, as she has no official diagnosis. A TA has been assigned to her classroom... we justified it because there is another boy with autism in the class, but really this little girl is a major safety concern.

Sorry to hijack your thread... Carry on!

9. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 4, 2009

I had a student in 8th grade who would do the same thing with his skin, and the doctors said it was actually related to him having autism.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 9, 2009

Hey,

Well she doesn't have autism but guess what? She is moving.

However, she is finishing out the year.

She is still picking at that sore. It is smaller but it was wide open and bleeding today. I sent her to the nurse. She bandaged it up and I shot the mom an email.

I also sent her to the office today for pushing a child several times who was "near" her desk.

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 24, 2009

You may be right in my case, too. She went to the doc and there is a lot going on. They haven't ruled out HFA, Aspergers, or bi-polar.