My poor bird has to stay overnight at the vet due to......

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2008

I took my bird to the vet today when I noticed that her bowel movements were completely watery. That is very abnormal. Turns out that when they took x-rays, she had metal deposits in her gizzard??? I believe that's where they were.

The vet thinks it's lead poisoning. I am so freaked out right now. I have no clue where the lead is coming from.

Ack! Can anything else go wrong? I'm so sad though. It feels odd not having my baby home. :(

First it was my rabbit, which her lovely $500 some bill for her pneumonia and to remove 21 bot worms, and now this......

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 25, 2008

I'm sorry about your bird! I hope things start to look up for you soon!

4. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Mar 26, 2008

Oh, I'm sorry. What kind of bird is it? (I have parakeets....)

Anyway, just a thought. Are you giving your bird tap water? It may have trace amounts of lead in it. Does your bird have any painted toys in the cage, or treated bars on the cage? When the bird gnaws on these, maybe the paint used could have lead in it.

Does anyone else have access to your bird, (kids?) that maybe put something in the cage without your knowledge?

This is strange. Keep us updated!

Good luck to you.

5. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Mar 26, 2008

I am so sorry! What a good pet mommy you are to take care of them as you are-they are lucky!!!!!:love:

I agree with Turtle-the water, toys or bars could be the problem.

I know a woman who rescues birds-she is an expert. I will email her and see if she can give you an idea. If she can't she should know someone who will know.

My dog is having issues now, as well, so I know how you feel. I just had to order her special leggings and cream because she has OCD and is chewing her feet raw.:(

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008

Please let us know how your bird is doing - I really hope she's okay.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Mar 26, 2008

Peachy- I hope things turn around for your bird. I know how scary it is when a pet is not well. What type and how old is she? Please keep us updated.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2008

Thanks everyone!

She has a cage this is an open cage, no bars. It has a stainless steel plate on the bottom, stainles steel bars that go up, like in a U, and a wooden perch that connects the U on the top. She doesn't have any toys, as she is not interested in those, but I am concerned about the water and food dish, that's part of her cage. It MAY have lead paint. I have no clue. Also, she does love to eat the paint off our walls and she loves to chew on the fireplace. And even though we always shoo her from those two places, every now and then, she does begin chewing on them.

What's interesting is that I had a small parakeet that I rescued about 2 years ago. She suddenly died several months ago. Her legs became parazlyzed and she kept craning her neck backwards. We put her on a soft pillow in a basket and I waited by her side to pass away. Next morning, she was still alive. I called the vet and told her the symptons and her history. Vet said that she was probably very old (I have no clue what her age was) and that they probably will just euthanize her. I ended up not taking her to the vet and just waiting it out. She did get better and was able to sit up on her legs, so we thought that whatever was ailing her was going away. And then, about a week later, she just passed away. It was horrible, but the symptons she had seems to match some of the symptons of lead poisoning. When we first got this bird, she was very shy. Then, we got this bird, the sick one in the vet, and she quickly bonded with the bird and followed her around. Whatever this bird did, my parakeet did. So, I'm thinking that because she was older and smaller, the lead that they were somehow getting, got to her first.

Sigh.... anyways, I called the vet and they want to keep her until five. It's driving me crazy!! They said she is doing fine and eating, but that they are still waiting for the blood work to come back from the lab. I miss my bird. She's just a bird, but I don't even think of her as a bird. I think of her as my companion, my baby.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2008

I hope your bird is okay, Peachy