My plate is overflowing....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SCTeachInTX, Sep 28, 2012.

1. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 28, 2012

Sometimes... We all get overwhelmed. Staying positive and keeping students as our focus helps to reevaluate a tough situation!

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 28, 2012

No, it isn't just your school. You do have more on your plate than I do at this moment, but there have been times in the past couple of years that I felt the way you do.

Sometimes things just CAN'T be done. Part of the stress I felt was worrying about getting done. Once I realized I was given an impossible task, a lot of that stress melted away.

4. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Sep 28, 2012

I'm feeling the same way. It's Friday night, and I'm mental drained from being overwhelmed, but I still feel like I should keep working on things. I have so many assessments and meeting going on, it's crazy. I have a meeting every morning before school and most of the time after school. Plus today I got asked to lead a commitee, so now it's one more thing I didn't need.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 28, 2012

I had to talk myself out of doing work tonight. I think I've done something for school every night since I started back on August 16th. I have also gone to school on every weekend except for 2...

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

I could have written your post. I'm in a similar position and feeling the same way. If you find a solution, let me know. In the mean time, we need to find a way to just keep swimming. :)

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

This is happening everywhere! It's crazy to think about everything we have going on and all the extras that are being put on us.

I suggest teaching only four days a week and using day 5 as a prep day! Now if only admin would get on board.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2012

I feel the same way.

Today I was so tired that I took a sick day and slept until 2!

50% of my class has an IEP. I love working with the lower kids, and I know that's one of my strengths, but it adds soooo many more meetings to my plate!

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2012

IT'S TIME FOR A PARTY!
    I feel for you guys. Can y'all have a Saturday when
    you can all come in and do catch up? It would be with
    pay, so y'all won't be complaining that you are not getting
    paid.
    Rebel1

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 28, 2012

I only have 4.5 teaching days until I will have 2 whole weeks off for Fall Break. I'll be able to catch up then ... along with attending a PD (that I will pay for out of pocket).

11. Boopers

Boopers Rookie

Sep 28, 2012

I know exactly how you feel! For a second there I thought you must be another teacher from my school! We are BURNT out and it's only 5 weeks into school! On top of it all my PDAS (yearly observation) window opens this upcoming week!! STRESSED!

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 28, 2012

Things have piled up for me as well. Is this a pattern for this time of year? I don't remember being this stressed about work, grading, and administrative duties during my internship (but then again I had bigger issues on my plate like classroom rebellion).

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2012

Nope, not just your school. I was in the guidance counselor's office earlier in the week venting. I took a sick day on Thursday and went into school to get some assessments done. And now I am swamped with papers to grade. :tired:

14. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 29, 2012

I feel the same way. I get to school about 35 - 40 minutes early, work through lunch, use my planning wisely, and stay about 45 minutes after school and still feel behind. I give my nephew a ride home most days, so I take him home and then go back because I know the poor kid is ready to get out of there. I have brought things home every weekend and gone back to school every weekend. I stayed until 6:00 tonight. Not enough hours in the day. :(

Beth

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 29, 2012

The thing is, most schools will not make AYP either this year or next when we have to have one hundred percent passing on grade level so the paperwork and extra trainings are just going to explode.

Sigh.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2012

I think this is pretty common across the country.

Here on the boards, the veteran teachers are always telling first year teaching that it gets easier down the road. This is my 7th year, and it's only getting harder. I have more students, more meetings, more paper work, new curriculum, new standards every. single. year. I fell asleep on the couch around 7 last night and slept through til 5 this morning.

Though we got a nice directive yesterday pointing out that the district can force us to stay past contract hours as often and for as long as they want as long as they offer comp time :| I foresee even more crap popping up in my future.

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 29, 2012

Is there a way to schedule things? I try to schedule two things that I have to do- on top of my normal teacher duties (grading, catching up on emails, updating my sites, etc)- to help space it out.

Lab days- I grade that grade's notebook (every day a different grade I teach has a lab day)
    Level meeting days- I update my notes on students
    Every Monday and Friday- I update my lesson plans (I'm trying to get myself to do this on my curriculum maps too... eventually)

If its not my day to do something I just do DO NOT push myself to do even more. It helps to keep me swimming at least.

(It really just sounds like you have way too much though :( )

18. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 29, 2012

I hate the word "data". I cringe when I hear it. I never used to feel that way, but I do now.
    I am as overwhelmed as you are. I take it day by day, and I do what I can. In my mind, the data cannot, and will not, replace the teaching that I do. That is what is FOR THE KIDS. Yesterday, I had a walkthrough immediately after lunch. Literally, my kids just sat down and I had just started my read aloud. I could tell he was upset that I was not "teaching", but my read alouds are important to me-I use that opportunity to discuss skills and strategies. Ugh. Why don't they get it?

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 29, 2012

Read aloud is crucial in helping students with any and all reading objectives. At least you have tons of .... Data.... to back you up on that.:thumb:

20. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 29, 2012

I am in the same position with the IEP 's! It seems very unfair when the other grade level teachers have none!

I went to get a massage yesterday because I am so stressed and overwhelmed. I really struggled to not think about work! I was even dreaming about work last night.:woot:

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 29, 2012

Thanks, I needed that. I just wish you could have seen his face...and the kids saw it too. :mad:

22. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 29, 2012

I'm sorry. :( I use read alouds for strategies as well. I like them because the kids like being read to, most anyway, lol. When we finished our first book, I had lots of kids ask if I was going to read another book to them. Dorky reason, I know. But, hey, you take what you can get, lol.

Beth

23. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 29, 2012

I feel like my class is going well, but I too come in 45 minutes early, work hard during planning, and stay over an hour after school every day and still have a ton of stuff to do. Some things are starting to ease up, my plans are falling into a better rhythm and my daily schedule is going well, there is just so much to do!

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 29, 2012

SCTeachInTX, it's funny you started this thread. Now there's been times in my life when I've been busy before, but NEVER in as short a time as THIS month! First, at work, I've had 8 IEP meetings this month, so I had to do whichever IEPs & speech & language reports for them. I've had to rip & run between 2 different schools within the same day many times this month to be ready for those meetings. Plus, it was parent-conf week at one of my schools, so I had to have the progress reports done. I'm also meeting with my 2 mentors throughout the weeks. Every Wed., I'm being observed by one as I work w/ groups.

I'm also in grad school & had a LOTS of reading & tests to take every week, plus listen/watch 2-hr course lecture webinars every week. I had 2 little homework assignments for 1 class. I had to work on a 10-page final project paper due last night for the other class. Plus my next grad class startetd on 9/24. We also had to start getting the ball rolling to call facilities & get these requirements done to find an adult externship facility for next summer.

I've been put through the wringer THIS month!!! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

25. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 29, 2012

:hugs:I think that we are all feeling the crunch. I was venting. I have had a wonderful day with my family. I was able to do some cool shopping for a bulletin board that I have been wanting to do with the company of my fam... Killing two birds with one stone. I am feeling the familiar happy feeling about making a difference one child at a time. I like that much better than the whiny me.:):):)

26. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 29, 2012

No problem with venting! :) I was at school until 8pm 3 nights last week. It felt like last year all over again...and I get there at 6:20am! I'm trying my darndest to have balance and not make this a routine but there's so much work! Like, why do I have a form to fill out about my classroom phone? :dizzy:

27. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 30, 2012

It is insane the amount of paperwork that teachers are expected to do. I am just going to wade through it as I normally do, and keep my spirits up with positive conversations with my teams to uplift instead of falling into the Poor Me Pit of Despair. It serves no purpose.

Next week will be good. I can feel it! The kids have the following Monday off and it is a FULL teacher work day which should get me back on track for being AHEAD of the game.

28. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2012

You know what I've been doing lately? When it's nap time for the kids in my neighborhood, I go down to the pool, swim a little, and grade papers while I'm drying in the sun. Makes that part of the job a little bit easier to handle :)

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2012

:love: sometimes it just takes a good family day to put all the other stuff in perspective. Sounds like you're rejuvenated for the week ahead! Enjoy today!

30. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2012

Chicago Teachers Union member here!! :thumb: One of the big gains we won in our new contract was the reduction of paperwork. It is clearly stated that our admin CANNOT give us additional paperwork without clear reduction of existing paperwork in exchange!! YAY!! This is such a big problem for ALL teachers everywhere. We are actually being left alone to TEACH since the strike! Go Figure!! :wub:

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 30, 2012

I feel incredibly lucky that I do not have as much on my plate as most of you. However, sometimes it seems the day, week, month, etc. will never end. Some days I wish I didn't have to fill out this data sheet or work on these reports or go to some meeting. It takes the fun out of working with the kids. I have a pretty good system now where I try to get to work half an hour early so that I can leave on time. I do not get prep or lunch periods so I just have to "suck it up" and work efficiently at school and sometimes at home (my hubby hates that I use so much colored ink at home!!). That said, when all the "junk" is done I still like going to work every day. When I despise going to work every day then I will either have to change the way I do things or get the heck out!