My Phone Rang During An Observation!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 14, 2011

So...here's the story:

Due to my school being a PI (Program Improvement) school, we are observed on a regular basis by district personnel (administrators, teachers, and other "head honchos").

Anyway, during this morning's observation (I knew they team was coming today but I wasn't sure what time they'd arrive at my classroom) I was in the middle of a great lesson! All was going well until my cell phone rang (my mom was calling me)! :eek:

Don't ask me why I didn't put my phone on vibrate. I think I was so nervous this morning that I'd completely forgotten to silence my phone!

Thankfully, my kids pretended that they couldn't hear my phone and I acted as though nothing happened. Imagine if someone would've said, "Mr. A, your phone is ringing!" :blush:

So glad the observation is over! :clap:

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 14, 2011

Moms! :) It sounds like you sailed through.

Sometimes I can hear mine ring in my bag in the closet and one of the kids will say "your phone's ringing" and I always say "do I talk on the phone during class?"-because I really don't and you never know who is listening. But then one of my smartypants will bring up the time I had to call so-and-so's mom or I used it for our mystery guest reader to call and let us know they were at the building so we could go get them-so I don't think I'd say anything in front of others either.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 14, 2011

Really it is quite a simple problem. Ignore it. If a kid says something, thank them and then go put it on vibrate and say you forgot to do that (if you must) then go back to teaching. I you don't act shook up (which can be hard to not be nervous when you are being observed) then it is fine.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 14, 2011

Really it is quite a simple problem. Ignore it. If a kid says something, thank them and then go put it on vibrate and say you forgot to do that (if you must) then go back to teaching. I you don't act shook up (which can be hard to not be nervous when you are being observed) then it is fine.

6. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Mar 14, 2011

My phone is always on vibrate, but it vibrates pretty loud, so depending on where it is my kids can sometimes hear it. It never fails that one of my boys go, "Ms. N, your phone is ringing!" (Like I don't hear it.) Then they look at me like they honestly expect me to pick it up and I have to explain that I'm not going to answer it in the middle of our lesson because that is rude.

I hope everything else went well though and you rocked out the observation!

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2011

Once a few years ago when I was subbing, I was in a Self Contained class (so many other adults- 1 on 1, ta, etc.) and my phone that is always on vibrate was going off in my bag. I couldn't even hear it, but one of the students was like your phone is ringing, your phone is ringing, it was very distracting to him! It went off like 3 more times...no one else could hear it but him...and I didn't want to go over to the bag and stop the lesson!

Turned out it was the sub service director calling to ask me to go to another building after lunch! I guess I should've looked! He did eventually call the school.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 15, 2011

I have the times that my students get their medication programmed into my phone, so I can't put mine on vibrate. I got a call from a 1-800 number during gym class today. I just turned it off and kept on teaching.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2011

It's okay...I'm sure they were not too phased by it.

I keep my phone on vibrate as well per husband's request, which I gladly honor, and it sometimes sounds exactly like a cow moo-ing depending upon what it's vibrating against. :)

10. bondo

bondo Cohort

Mar 16, 2011

Sounds like you made it through. I set my phone to vibrate, but if I here it wring more twice or more in a row then I check it. If something happened I want to know regardless of where I am at with a lesson. Anyone who would have to call me if something happened know I teach and that they will have to try a few times before they can reach me.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 16, 2011

I actually wouldn't have ignored it. I probably would have said "Oops, Mrs. kcjo made a mistake this morning, and forgot to turn off my phone. I'll do that now so it doesn't go off again." Then went and turned it off.

I just think it would be more awkward to pretend like it wasn't going off. Obviously it is, kinda the big elephant in the room. Yes, it interrupted the lesson for me to do that, but then again, the lesson is already interrupted, no? And if mom calls back again, then it's another interruption...

12. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 16, 2011

We aren't supposed to use our phones while working with kids. We can use them during our planning period, etc. Practically no one ever calls me but my husband and he knows not to call during school hours. I had my phone in my desk on vibrate and it went off. It was bouncing all over the desk drawer, so of course the kids heard it. It was actually an automated call from the school district to announce we were releasing early due to the blizzard.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 16, 2011

No one ever calls me, and I almost always have it on silent or vibrate... but one day, I apparently had accidentally switched the ringer on...

At the time, I was teaching in the mornings, and subbing in the afternoons... I was subbing for our Math mentor, and so I was co-teaching with a grade three teacher (who was also a friend, thank goodness) and suddenly, my ringtone started (Got a Feeling, by the Black Eyed Peas)... I reached in my pocket and turned the ringer off, and apologized...

Then I noticed it started to vibrate again... which had me worried... so I stepped out for a second to check who it was... I had had a scare previously with my mother falling down, so wanted to make sure that it wasn't an emergency.

It turned out to be the office!

14. ally06

ally06 Companion

Mar 16, 2011

Mine is in my bag in the cupboard so I never hear it ring during class. One day I had been using my phone at lunchtime and had left it out in my desk. Of course it rang loudly after lunch when I had a couple of parent helpers in the room - we just laughed about it though :)
    Back when I was doing student teaching my phone rang during a lesson - I just mentioned to the kids what it was and moved on but my supervising teacher asked me if I wanted to answer it! It was my mum calling me as well - accidentally!

Anyway, I don't think it is a big deal, I just acknowledge it and move right along.

15. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Mar 16, 2011

I accidentally left mine on the other day, the kids weren't really phased by it..but then my kids with issues was at the dentist..it happened .to one of my co-workers during his observation..

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2011

I accidentally left mine on one day (no one ever calls me, either) and my brother happened to call one day just as we were getting ready to say the pledge of allegiance (so it was really quiet). My kids thought it was really funny... ;)