My Personal Space in Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms_chandler, Aug 2, 2008.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

My classroom is very bright and decorative. I get compliments all of the time. Last year, a Title I teacher came in and said, "You're the first teacher who doesn't have photos on your desk! But I love your classroom!" Because I'm not married and don't have kids, I don't have any photos. I like having my desk clear anyway, except for office supplies, because I'd probably knock down picture frames... lol

But I do want to personalize my personal space in my classroom (desk area). I love the rest of my classroom, but besides little teacher knick knacks from Target, Hobby Lobby, and gifts from students, the space doesn't scream me!

How do you personalize your personal space
    ?

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

I have a picture of each of my dogs and will have a picture of my husband and me on our cruise next year. I actually put them where the kids can see them because they are always fascinated with my life outside of school (once they know I have one) and I use my dogs and husband when I model writing.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2008

I have pictures of my kids (in magnetic frames) stuck on the front drawer of my desk and some of my favourite quotes on the bulletin board above it.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

Above my desk I have a little bulletin board with just my stuff. I don't actually have any photos!! I should bring some in.

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

I don't have anything personal in my room, either. I don't have a desk, so there really isn't a place to display framed photos. I do have some things framed and hung on a wall right as you enter the door (especially nice thank you notes, a couple of "teacher" pictures and plaques, etc.).
    Kim

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

I have pictures of my dog on my file cabinet. I also have some magnets that remind me to be strong and persevere. I have taped cut-outs of some of my favorite educational-related things on my table - 100 Ways to Praise a Child, etc.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

I have alot of adorable school related things; but no pictures of my kids or hubby. I had a cute one of my kids in one of those "snow globes", but I put it back in the cabinet because my kids are older now; I guess I could replace the pictures. :blush:

9. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I like the idea about the quotes. I'm really into quotes and lyrics!

10. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

I have photos of my children and husband on my desk. I have some teacher plaques and cross stitch on the wall between my upper and lower cabinets. I also have a large quilted school wall hanging behind my desk. (just waiting for the fire marshall to comment on that). I have a teacher afghan and matching throw pillow on my office chair. These things were gifts so I like to keep them on display.

11. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2008

I'm not married and no kids. I have this little teacher wire picture holder, that I had pictures of my cousins in at one point. I also had this picture of my friends and I at Disneyland, up until one of my first graders said "Miss Kirby's friends are HOT!" All I have right now is a picture of my dog on my file cabinet, and our class pictures on the wall. I want to gave frame so I can hang my diploma. Maybe I'll get around to it next year when I have my diploma for my masters!

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

I'm a huge picture person. I have a picture frame that says "Live, Laugh, Love" and above each word there is a space for a pic. I have a pic of my parents, brother and me; a pic of one of my best friends and me; and a pic of my bf and me. I have a picture frame with my dog when he was a puppy. I also have a double picture frame with 2 pics of my bf and I from when we went to Alaska. I also have a small picture of my best friend that passed away a year ago and I on my desk. It sounds like a lot but it doesn't take up that much space.

I'm a die hard IU fan since that is where I went to school. So I have some IU memorabilia behind my desk as well. (A giant bear with an IU shirt on, an IU foam finger, an IU little basketball, a tiny IU bear, IU pennant).

I also have an Irish flag behind my desk because I student taught there last year.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2008

My desk takes up the front far corner of my room. That's sort of my area and it has a lot of "me things" in it.

I have a picture of me and my husband in a frame on my desk.

I also have copies of my college diplomas in frames on the wall in my corner--I think it's a nice visual for the kids since we're really pushing the idea of college.

I have a few trophies I earned as a Latin student in high school. Frankly, I don't have anywhere else to put them. =)

On the wall behind my desk are some magazine cut-outs and posters of my favorite singer--Morrissey. In one of the pictures, he looks a little like Elvis or Johnny Cash (weird, I know), and a lot of kids ask about it. It's a great conversation starter at the beginning of the year and lets me ease into asking kids questions about themselves... "Well, that's my favorite singer. What's your favorite band?" It's a little thing to ask a kid about what music he likes, but that sort of thing really seems to matter to the kids.

14. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

I have pictures of my children, pictures of myself and some of the other teachers on the seventh grade team, a team photo (we've started taking one every year), a miniature Eiffel Tower and some other travel-related knick-knacks. On my bulletin board, I have a Bradley banner, and pictures that my daughters and students have drawn for me. Sometimes my colleagues and I get silly with our school picture 5x7's, and sign them and hide them in each others' classrooms. I think it is important to have some sense of me in my classroom, as I spend so much of my day in it. The kids are also very curious about who I am, and since I expect them to open up to me through their writing, I try to show them who I am.

15. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

I'm not married nor have children either.
    I have pictures up of the sunset that I took while in Key West. I'm an Ohio State Fan-small 'welcome' mat underneath my desk for my toes to rub on (its so soft!); two teddy bears sitting on top of my bookcase dressed in OSU clothes, a large pottery ..well pot with OSU on it that I fill with potpurri. Plants, again, when I go buy them. Two baskets, one that the school was selling, a Longaberger one (a famous OHio company) with the school name on a little plaque on the front and one that is green (school colors). I have a small pencil basket that one of my good friends got me. A ceramic pottery 'mug' that I will probably fill with potpurri too (i'm obsessive about my room smelling good) various teacher plaques (did I say that already?). Um, i know there is something else but I'm tired from a day of church events...

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2008

I have a picture of my dog in a cute dog-themed frame. I put pictures of flowers and landmarks on my fridge & cabinets in magnetic frames. I take lots of photos. I've also had pictures of me with my parents, DH's band, and me with DH. Oh, I'll also throw in a picture of me with whatever celebrity I've most recently met.

I don't keep any right on my desk, but on the shelf beside my desk. I like my desk area pretty clear.

This year I added a skirt around my desk and a huge fake plant to disguise all the cords from my computer equipment.

17. purple skittles

purple skittles New Member

Aug 2, 2008

I want my students to see that I am a real person and that I have interests. I am a huge Texas Ranger fan and have pictures of the team behind my desk.

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

I have my university stuff (pendant, street sign, yard flag ... it sparks great discussions from students/coworkers that are fans of rival schools). Photo of my gpa when he was in the Navy in WWII. Photo of me, my mom, auntie and cousin. Photo of my puppers. This year I get to add a photo of my husband (I got married this summer).

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

I had a cow-print background on the board behind my desk, and it said Miss Mooooore's Board. I still used it even after I became Mrs. Uppman. I put all my memos from the office here, but I also had nice cards I had gotten, a picture of my parents, etc. Mostly nice cards-quote ones from graduation, pretty pictures, silly ones, etc. They looked professional, but still showed my personality. I had a bunch of tiny Simpson bobble heads on my printer. They would bobble when I printed. I had a pirate kermit on my file cabinet, along with a vase of silk flowers.

20. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I am married and w/children BUT I do not display pictures of them. I'm not sure why BUT.....

I do display inspirational quotes and one word words of encouragement.

21. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

I use plants all around the room, but I want to put one on my desk this year. I also decorate the front of my desk and use a "desk valance" (folded piece of fabric that is the same width as my desk. It lays on the front edge of my desk so I can see a little bit of color and hangs over the front so the kids can see it. If you collect anything you could put a few of those on the corner of your desk or on a shelf near your desk. A rug can be nice, too. You're there 8+ hours a day, so I believe in surrounding myself with things I love.

22. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

When I was married I didnt have photos...

I might put up one of my bf now. I like to show my personality but not my life if that makes sense.

I was thinking of putting another vision board (make it) if anyone is familiar with those. I have them at home and would like one in my classroom. That will share a lot about me. I want my students to think bigger about their lifelong goals etc. so that would be a good model anyway.

I usually put up a poster or several pics that are just personal taste--artwork or pictures that have nothing to do with school or math.

I also have a vase of silk flowers (yellow daisies) which make me smile.

I want to add a bit more this year...I acquired a 3 tier shelf that allows for more decorating.

23. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I use poster putty to stick pictures of my babies to the wall around my computer.
    All of the teacher desks in our building have a plastic cover over them so that important information can be placed on our desks without worrying that it might be thrown out or have something spill on it. Under this cover, I have my emergency procedures outlined and I have pictures I take of all my students on the first day they are in school (students first names are written on the bottom of the picture. This way, the students all get to see that I want to show off their pictures, but it also keeps them from playing games with a sub and pretending they are someone else. An added bonus is that since so many things are displayed under the cover, I can't let my desktop get too cluttered or I risk covering something important.

24. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I have a small teacher bulletin board behind my desk where I post schedules. I have a WWII picture of my father and uncle and aunt, a group picture of our team at the wedding of one of our coworkers, a good friend's baby picture, and my son. That's about it. I don't like it too cluttered and the room is decorated to my taste anyway.

I did post a set of reminders to myself about how to be a good co-worker. It's somewhat hidden from the kids so that I can see it when I sit, but they don't see it unless they go behind my desk. I've already used it when I found my patience evaporating during pre-planning.

25. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

Behind my desk, I have a huge arrangement of soft-silk, pink roses on my filing cabinet along with a white Greek looking column that's about a foot high. Pictures of my family are on a shelf behind me and I have a picture of my feet with a Pacific Ocean background. On the wall above & behind my desk is a bulletin board with an autographed picture of Bill Cosby, pictures of me and Flat Stanleys in front of the Eiffel Tower and a Homoa Beach in Hawaii, also front page newspaper articles of when my students won the district chess tournament, and other miscellaneous stuff. It's my "little" space.

26. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 3, 2008

I didn't have any personal photos either - I'm not married and have no kids - and I didn't think my parents, etc would want to have their pictures up! LOL

27. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I use the end of the whiteboard behind my desk and the bit of wall next to it as "my" areas. I have DD's grad picture, a UConn national basketball championship pennant (both men and women in the same year,) a UConn Husky flag pinned up high on the wall, an appreciation certificate from UC Santa Barbara because a former student named me their most influential teacher, a small gargoyle figure of Sloth that I bought at Oxford University, an amazing piece of charcoal art my DD the art major did and had made into a non-smeary digital poster for me for Mother's Day, and a small calendar. On the white board I have my collection of refrigerator magnets that I've collected in my travels. My desk has the usual desk stuff, plus a little tin tea tray from London that I use for my mug, and a small vase with blue and orange silk flowers - school colors. I must add pictures of hubby and the kitties this year. I spend a lot of time in my room, and I like to personalize my space. :)

28. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

I have a small book case that i have photos of my family and me involved with geocaching, camping, canoeing, etc.. and my dad, sisters etc.. I also have classroom pets, plants, candles, etc, things kids have given me in the past.

29. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 3, 2008

I have a corkboard that I put a fun border around that I post our principal's week in a glance, school roster, important memos, etc. One of my students gave me an awesome memo board that I have a few pictures of my family, a couple of friends, and random pictures of my favorite places. I have my previous class pictures framed on the wall as well. I LOVE Ohio State and so I have a couple OSU wall stickers up, and an Ohio State Mr. Potato Head by my computer. I need to update my pictures as they are now two years old, and I'd like to put more recent ones...like from my 5ks, etc. And since I've met my future husband, David Cook, a picture of him as well. hehe.. ;)

The best though....is a picture of my class from last year doing the O-h-i-o cheer signed by OSU's football coach. :)

30. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I am married--no human kids, but there are a bunch of pictures of my 4-legged daughter. Then I have one with my mom, with dad, with little sister, one of my wedding day, one of what I did over summer and one of my husband and I when he won an award for work and I had to miss a day in Sept last year (it was almost like "See guys? I was gone for a good reason!) I'm a picture freak. I'll add to it by putting one of my 07/08 kids for this year.

31. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

The filing cabinet beside my desk is my display area. I hae a few trinkets / figures sitting on top of it. The side serves as a big bulletin board for pictures - either personal pics or pics that the kids have brought me of themselves or that I've taken of groups of students.

32. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I will have pictures of my husband and I. This is my first classroom, I really want to be real with the kids and just want them to know who I am and my family

33. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I don't have any photos in my room, either. Although there is a photo of my dog, Simba, up on top of my cubbies with gifts that I've received throughout the years from students.

34. lysithea88

lysithea88 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

personal desk space

I have pictures of family and close friends. I'm also really into penguins, so I have a stuffed penguin whose belly opens up into a CD holder...that's where I keep all my education CDs and DVDs. I also have a penguin pez key chain that holds my file cabinet key...it hangs on the cabinet during the day. I also have little mementos from previous places that I have lived.

35. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

I don't have a personal space. I keep my plans and all that jazz in a storage system. I don't like to have stuff out. I haven't had a desk in years.

I never thought about it before, but people probably think my room is quite boring. I don't enjoy all the teacher chotchkies.

My room is all about function.

Kelly :)

36. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

It's 100% absolutely NECESSARY to personalize your space. You are going to be spending a ton of time there so it needs to be comfortable and reflect who you are. I have picture frames with my boyfriend and I at WDW in them and personal knick knacks I love like snowglobes, figurines, etc. on my desk.