My Parent Letter - Comments or suggestions???

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by bluebutterfly, Aug 15, 2009.

1. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Aug 15, 2009

I do not know how to attach, so I will copy and paste!

Dear Parent,

I’m excited to have your child in my class this year. This is my 5th year in education. I have spent three of those years teaching 3rd grade. Third grade is my favorite grade level. I plan on having a fantastic year with your child.

Third grade is a big step in your child’s education. Some things your child will be working very hard on this year include learning multiplication facts, writing in cursive, and reading more chapter books. This is the first year your child will be copying work from a math book and adding a science textbook as well. There will be lots of “big kid” stuff in the transition from second grade.

Here are some things you may want to know about my class:

Website – You can find information as well as helpful websites on the school website – www.usd493.com. I will post information, class news, class pictures, etc. throughout the school year.

Going Home - Your child will be sent home the same way every day UNLESS you call the school or send a note. If you email me to let me know they will be going home a different way, make sure I acknowledge your email or I may not have gotten the message.

Take-Home Folders – My students will be required to bring this home every evening. Please check to see if your child has any notes for you. This is also where you child should keep homework and any work that is not finished at school. Please take the time to review your child’s completed papers with him/her as well.

Homework – I will send home a homework sheet each week. Each day will consist of reading and another activity such as studying math facts, vocabulary words, or spelling words. Homework will also consist of any work your child did not finish at school. Any work sent home should be completed so your child is prepared for school the next day and is progressing throughout the school year as necessary. Any student that is 3 days behind in a subject will go to ALC to catch up. Establish a routine for completing assignments, studying and reading, and plan a place where backpacks, library books, sack lunches, etc. are kept so everything makes it back to school.

Homeworkopoly – I do not reward good behavior, it is expected not rewarded. However, I will reward hard work. Every student that completes his homework (including work not finished at school) and has there homework signed for a whole week will get to play Homeworkopoly. There are numerous prizes to be won by playing. These include but are not limited to: sitting in the teacher’s chair for the day, 15 minutes of computer time, free homework pass, cool pencils, bubbles, Beanie Babies…

AR – Students must read 5 books at their level and pass the AR tests every nine weeks. Some of those books must be chapter books as opposed to picture books. However, I hope that and will encourage the students to read a lot more. There are school-wide rewards at 10-point intervals until 100 points, and then every 25 points will be rewarded. I will be recognizing the top three readers in our classroom throughout the year.

Timed Math Tests – Almost every day we will be taking a timed math test. It will consist of 20 questions that must be completed in one minute. We will start with addition and work through subtraction, multiplication and division. When we get to the multiplication, we will be working toward our end-of-year ice cream sundaes. Your child should know what level they are on and should work on memorizing the facts. This is listed on the homework sheet but depending on your child he/she may need to study more than is required.

Discipline – Students will start each day with green cards. They will have to pull cards for misbehavior. The following consequences will result:
    Green – Good Job
    Yellow – 5 minutes off recess
    Red – Loss of entire recess and note home to parent
    Black – Sent to ALC the next day with parent notification

Please feel free to call or email me with any comments, questions, or concerns. The best time to call me is during my plan time which is from 8:30 – 9:30 or after 3:15. I hope that you and I can work together to make this an exceptional year in your child’s life.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2009

I teach math, not grammar, so take these with a grain of salt.

4. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Aug 15, 2009

Great info! I'll be "borrowing" some if you don't mind! ;)

5. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

Aliceacc - Thanks.

As far as the hard work being expected...Here is where I was going with that. In real life you are expected to BE good or you have to answer to the law (consequence) but you are not rewarded for being good. On the other hand, if you "work" you get rewarded by getting paid. Does that make sense?

Now I am not sure whether to just delete that part or reword it????

6. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

Thanks for posting this! It really helped me, being a first year teacher! :)

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 18, 2009

I would say "dear families" instead of parents.... you just never know the situation for the child at home.

8. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

Good point MissFroggy! I already have them ready for this year but will change that next year.