my own "skip counting" invention

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TryingMyBest, Aug 17, 2010.

1. TryingMyBest

TryingMyBest Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

I had this idea in my head of how to teach little ones to Skip-count. I couldnt find it already made. So i put it together myself. And if the child very familiar with numbers then this method i made will work form almost first time. I tryed on my 4 year old and it did awesome results. He now can count by 2s, 5s and 10s.

Here it is:
    What you need - 10 or more Unifix blocks of same light color (the ones that are clipping on only one side.) and also a black sharpie marker.

Direction: make a long stick (with 10 or more) and on each block write its number like 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 and so on.

Do the same with 5s and 10s - just use different color of stick if you want

Now you are done.

1. Invite a student and let him/her read all the numbers from the stick. Repeat several times.
    2. Break the cubes apart and mix them up.
    3. Ask the child if he/she remembers the very first number she saw. The child will find the very first nmber from the mix.
    4. Let the child finish the stick how she/he things it needs to go.
    5. Then if that is correct turn the stick numbers down. Let the child say what she/he remembers.

Sometimes mistakes happen and its ok. They learn by thinking!
    My 4 year old mastered counting by 2s like that from the FIRST TIME he tryed. Counting by 5s took him only TWO TIMES but it was fast learning

3. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Aug 17, 2010

Neat method! I might have to give that a try!