My New Years resolution

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2008

(Well, aside from getting past all these health issues, and tap dancing at Times Square at midnight to bid this awful year goodbye)

As I've been proctoring exams the past 2 days, I've had lots of time to think... as I stare and stare and stare at the kids in front of me.

I think that my New Years Resolution is that I want to connect with some of the quiet kids I haven't really gotten to know yet.

Today I got a lovely Christmas gift from one of the kids in my homeroom. And aside from her "Merry Christmas Mrs A." I'm not sure I've ever heard her voice before.

I'm not sure just how I'm going to do it, but it's time to get to know some of those kids I see every day but don't really know yet.

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

Alice please, please do this. As a mom of a very shy, quiet kid I would have loved it if a teacher took an interest in him!

4. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 19, 2008

My most favorite teacher ever was my 5th grade teacher because she took an interest in all of us (or so it seemed at the time). She was very soft-spoken herself but I had a very close connection with her. I even remember going to McDonald's for lunch one day when I won a contest. I remember hugging her on the last day of school and both of us were crying. Though I liked my other elementary teachers, there was no other teacher I bonded with the way I did with her. In fact, I had math teacher later on that blamed my poor grades on the fact that I was quiet.

So, great resolution, I say! :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2008

The trick, of course, is figuring out how to do it.

I have 41 kids in my homeroom.

My 4 Algebra classes range from 25 to 37 kids apiece. And I don't give them a lot of dead time-- we work from bell to bell. I also don't like to call on kids whose hand isn't raised.. I hate to put kids on the spot if they aren't confident that they know the answer.

And then, there are my SAT classes. The sub who covered my classes in September has had them all along, while I worked one on one with a new teacher, observing her classes and helping her a bit. As of January, those 3 Junior classes (meeting once per 6 day cycle) are back to me.

Those kids are all strangers to me at the moment.
    I'll find a way, though I'm not sure just how.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

During home room can you all spend some time doing group activities or cooperative learning games, etc. how much time do you have?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2008

Well, there's silence for morning prayer and announcements. The announcements can leave us anywhere from 0-10 minutes.

And the kids all know each other. I just need a way to connect with the quiet ones. Most of the kids use the spare time to either hang out with friends and chat or to do homewok.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

I think because you are aware of wanting to connect with these kids, you will find ways to do it. I always find that when I resolve to do something, ways appear to help me. Good luck with it - I think I'll do the same!
    My resolution this school year was to pay more attention to students who are doing the right things and I am failing dismally! It's been a hard year so far.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

I have a "favorite kid of the day" where I make sure I do some connecting with him/her. If I didn't do this, I'd never know anything personal at all about them.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 19, 2008

My resolution is to have more patience with my students--- I can get a little mean to them. Especially to those who refuse to do any work in my class, even after they're parents have spoken to them. :)

We'll see how long that lasts...

11. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

What a great resolution! I work in a very small private school and have only 10 kids in my class, so I don't have the same problem as you! I do, however, try to get to know ALL of the kids in the school, which is only about 90 strong, but I am proud to say I know every child's name in our school and always try to greet them by name when I see them! Good luck with your resolution...it could make a huge difference in a kid's life and you might not ever find out about it!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2008

That's an idea.

For Christmas, I got each of them a magnet which says "I'm Mrs. A's favorite student... just don't tell the other kids."

Maybe I'll find a way to use that.

13. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

Alice where did you get that magnet?

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

That is a good resolution - I have a school-related one I was thinking about on the way home today too.

My Junior year one of my teachers actually asked me to stay after class for a minute - well, I was mortified because I wasn't the type to get in trouble. It was an Honors English class and I wasn't very confident on top of my normal look down at your paper when you get called on. She talked to me about how the way people get to know each other is by sharing ideas - especially in college. You answer a question in class and people have a starting point to talk to you based on that opinion, etc. Probably wouldn't work in math, but I can still remember that conversation many years later and I appreciated her intention.

Maybe when going over a problem make it so you are using something from their lives - (I don't know how specifcially that it would work in Algebra) but 40 ... Julie what's your favorite animal ... were grazing - Robert where did you last go on vacation? You'd be calling on them randomly, but it would be easy questions for them to answer.

15. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

I hope you do connect with the quiet ones. In my classes of 3-year olds there are always those quiet, good mannered, always do everything right children. I suggest to their parents to keep an eye on them in the future so that they don't get overlooked in their school years.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2008

I ordered it from Vistaprint.com

They frequently run freebies, and I order them all the time. I also make stickers from their return address labels when they're free.

You do pay shipping and handling, but it's still do-able.

But be careful about taking advantage of any of their "special bonus offers" after checkout. People here have reported lots of problems as a result of those special offers.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 22, 2008

Alice....love the magnet. I may steal that idea for next Christmas.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2008

When I tuaght a lot of these same kids as 7th graders, I got them all magnets for Christmas: picture of a comet (or was it a star???) with the caption: "Mrs. A. thinks I'm a star!!"

It was a big hit. Some of them still have them on their lockers.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 22, 2008

Stickers work with ALL ages, and so do goofy appreciations (mine's the Seal of Approval, and yes, of course I bark and flap flippers): they work solely because they show that somebody noticed.

It's a truism of momhood that when you're sore, tired, and sorely tried, it's really hard to notice what's right... but sometimes that's the most valuable investment you can make.