My new room...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 13, 2014

I've been in there for about three days going through the previous two, TWO, TWO, teachers' crap. Taking their crap off the walls, throwing away posters that are dated from the 80s, finding a big pile of student information from 2008, cleaning out assessment binders I'll need for next year, etc. I've filled up three huge trash cans - the ones on wheels. I'm tired. :|

3. reneeinms

reneeinms Rookie

Jun 13, 2014

I have a similar situation in my room. My building is getting a new roof so I'm not allowed in for a few weeks.

I hope you get to the fun decorating and organizing part soon!!

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 14, 2014

How obnoxious! My first year teaching I was assigned to a room where the teacher before me left A TON of crap behind. It was mostly outdated junk. She actually still worked in the bldg (different grade level) so I tried to give all of it back to her and she kept saying "you can use it for your class this year".

At my current school when I moved in, the room was completely bare. Stripped from top to bottom. I looked up the previous teacher and emailed her a thank you because it really makes things so much easier.

Hang in there!

5. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 14, 2014

This is my biggest fear!

I was told months ago I'm getting the 3rd grade room next year, so since I'm close with the current teacher we started to look through everything of her 20 years in that room to see what I wanted to keep and what we could toss. We made a lot of progress, and then were told my room might switch. So we started to box up everything that I already had in her room in case I'm not there.

The room I might be moving into now is a disaster. That grade level is moving to another room, so everything in that room needs to be moved. The teacher is retiring & has no plans to pack up for the move since she says it's not her job.

So I'm getting nervous that if I end up in this room, not only will I have to move all of my boxes from my current room and the first room I thought I was getting into this room, but also box up that room and move it their new room.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

That´s a bit inconsiderate of the last teacher. Yes, sometimes some things left behind can be treasures...however, the teacher who left should have thrown out the paperwork and gargabe, as well as have taken the things down the walls.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 14, 2014

It's awful. I remember getting my room 75% done, then being told I had to move to the next building. I got there and found a smaller room where the previous teacher had retired and left everything. She was a wonderful person so I can only think she thought she was being generous. Ugh!!!

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

Since we are an international school and have more teachers coming and going than most schools, our P makes a huge deal about being considerate and taking everything down, organizing, and completing work orders so incoming teachers don´t have to worry about equipment and things that don´t work or need to be changed last minute.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2014

I have had to move 8 times in my career - mostly due to school renovations, my program moving, etc.

The very best one was moving into a brand new, empty school with NOTHING in the room. What a treat compared to all the previous moves with everyone's junk.

I have been in the room 14 years and have so much stuff (treasures, of course!)! I may have to move in June and have been thinking about what I am going to do with it all.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2014

I've moved several times over the years; my move into my room this year and my move into another room for next year will be the only times I've moved into a room that no one has been in before. I've never encountered anything other than an empty space. I can't imagine someone leaving their rooms full when they move classrooms or leave the building.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 14, 2014

My first classroom that I took over from a teacher who retired (and she's such a wonderfully lady) I found papers dated from the year I was born :)

On one side, I had to spend a tremendous amount of time and energy clearing out the classroom (it took me 2 school years before it was perfectly organized- which is when I left the school and I didn't want to leave it a mess for the next teacher).

On the flip side, it was a blessing to find various lessons, manipulatives to use in lab activities, and lots of great stuff to hang up in the classroom. :)

Have fun taking your time to make it your own! It's one of the wonderful parts of teaching: creating your own learning environment.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 14, 2014

I always get the retirees' rooms. I've never moved into a room that wasn't totally trashed.

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2014

When I moved to my school 6 years ago my first room was stripped. Nothing left, not even things that were supposed to be in the room so I spent 4 years getting stuff. New principal, new grade level, new room. Last year when I got moved to a new grade level the room I got had so much crap in it. It had stuff from at least 4 different teachers. I spent most of the summer going through stuff and getting rid of it and there is still stuff. I have made vow that I am not working this summer until August so the stuff might just have to stay hidden the closet one more year.

14. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 17, 2014

I am so frustrated!!! I almost had a bawling meltdown over the whole thing today. I realized if I didn't have to clean up, trash, take down, pull thousands (it seriously feels like it) of staples out of walls and bulletin boards I'd be pretty darn close to being done with my room. I've filled up three huge rolling trash cans, put two huge give away piles in the hall, and a huge pile of misc. trash that couldn't fit in the trash can, and there is still crap left!!!!! I just want to get done so that I can enjoy the rest of my summer without it following me around like a dark cloud. :(

And...this room has a lot more wall space and bulletin board space than any of my other rooms. So, I've bought and made some stuff, but it's not going to be the way I would like. I can't/don't want to spend anymore money than I've already spent and anymore time on Pinterest and the internet in general getting ideas of things to make from scratch. I've bought some things off TPT, but I've had to buy a color printer cartridge = $30, and it's almost out of ink.

Gosh, I'm a whine bag today. :blush:

15. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 18, 2014

When I moved into my first classroom at my most recent school, it was the dumping ground for not one but TWO science teachers who had retired the previous year. I think I spent a solid week (along with my department head) going through things and trashing most of it. I'm changing schools this year and thankfully the new room I'm moving into was unoccupied last year so it is a blank slate. Thank goodness!

At least it will feel really good when you get it all cleaned out and decorated to your liking! :hugs:

16. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 18, 2014

Lucky!!! :p

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

When I moved into my first room, I found National Geographic TV specials recorded on VHS tapes off TV. From 1992. This was 2005.

Not much else had been thrown away since 1992 either!

My best advice-make it look good, and don't worry about everything else. Cram stuff into cabinets if you have to. I chose one cabinet per month during the school year and cleaned it out. At the end of the year, anything I hadn't used at all went into the trash. You'll have a much more critical eye next summer.

But I know, it makes you crazy to see all that stuff-just don't kill yourself, it's not worth it.

18. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 18, 2014

I found posters, like the motivational ones, from the 80s. They had big poofy hair and even poofier bang, acid washed jeans, bright colored nylon windsuits with elastic at the bottom, and high top Reeboks with scrunched tube socks. :lol:

I'm taking today off. I'm even staying away from Pinterest and TPT, lol.

Beth

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2014

Min my first room, I found the retiree had left her paddle!! Fresh-faced, enthusiastic 22 year old me almost fainted. Last year, I changed classrooms and took everything but textbooks and rudimentary supplies since the new teacher was coming from another building and couldn't bring supplies along. I worked hard on my room and listened to her whine about all this junk in her room (as she threw it all- including textbooks) out. All year long, she would complain at team meetings about not having this and that. I finally couldn't stop myself from telling her that I'd left it all in the room for her!

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 18, 2014

When I left my school, I posted it on here and a teacher from the west coast of Florida drove over with her husband (also a teacher) and a truck and they filled it up completely. I forget who it was. She took things for several grades and said she would be sharing it with other teachers at her school - she was going to have a party.

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 18, 2014

I took over my room from a friend. She knew what I had and that I was coming from a room with a HUGE amount of storage (a wall of huge closets and another wall of cabinets). I came to a room with one cabinet and no shelves. She left a TON of stuff. I think she got her feelings hurt that I wasn't excited to keep anything. Tote after tote, bag after bag....tons of stuff went out the door. I spent a small fortune on shelves to put above the lockers and spent all year slowly making the room mine. (I will admit, it helped when our principal declared that an empty room would become a science lab the next year. I became addicted to grants and had a lot of science equipment to share.)

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

Some teachers in my school still have those hanging up. Sometimes I wonder if they've even noticed that they're out-of-date.

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

Mary-I found a baseball bat behind a cabinet into which someone had etched "Elementary Educator Persuader".

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2014

I've done a lot of moving over the years. One year I moved into a room where the teacher had unexpectedly passed away over the summer, and the family (understandably) didn't want to clean out the room. It was completely and totally FULL.

I had to move rooms this year. The teacher moving into my old room is straight-out-of-college, so I took one cabinet, scoured the retiree piles, and filled it with office supplies for her.

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 19, 2014

That was really sweet of you, chebrutta!

26. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 19, 2014

It's crazy the only thing I can't seem to find are office supplies!!! I had to go scrounging around for staples this afternoon.

27. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 19, 2014

That would never be ok at my school! We are expected to clear ALL of our own stuff out when we leave! I am in that process right now...it's not very fun, but I would never want to leave a bunch of my junk for the teacher moving in! :(

Good luck, Bella! I'm sorry this is happening to you! So frustrating!

28. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 21, 2014

I have to switch rooms this year. I am dreading it! I'm not sure which is mine yet, but I'm down to 2 potential rooms and they are both filled with crap. I need a tube in my window that's connected to a dumpster. :eek:

29. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 21, 2014

I"m sorry you're in the same boat as I am. :( I'm up to four rolling trash cans full of crap. I FINALLY got all the staples out of the walls!!! Major accomplishment. I'm starting to put stuff on the walls. It's been kind of hard because I have 4ish wall to ceiling bulletin boards. The first and fourth are continuous, but the middle two are kind of chopped up because of the SmartBoard.

So, I'm trying to find things to fill the first and fourth because they are huge. On one I'm putting my word wall, and on the other one I'm posting my rules and putting my calendar beneath my rules. The middle two that are kind of chopped up I'm putting a class creed the kids are going to make together. Then I'm going to have to find room for my chore chart, focus wall, b-day chart, anchor charts, schedule chart, daily assignments, and clip chart. :|

All the other walls are chopped up with a door, a closet, cabinets, and a window. I'm short, really, really, really short and have to basically have to get a step ladder to do anything. That's why I'm wanting to keep things on the tall bulletin boards that I won't have to mess with (except for the word wall), lol.

Anyway, I've resolved to get it done this next week. I've decided that it will be what it will be, and the world won't end if it's not perfect. I'm tired of being up there and ready to spend the rest of the summer with lots of uninterrupted time with DS. :wub: