My "new" classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kcjo13, Jul 18, 2011.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 18, 2011

I am still in the same room for next year, but I am making some big changes.

First of all, instead of only 6th graders all day, I will have 6th, 7th, and 8th graders in and out. I used to have student desks, one for each 6th grader, but I have realized that is not going to work.

I really didn't want to deal with kids having to sit in other kids' desks, potentially missing items, etc. Plus, my big 8th graders simply won't fit in a small 6th grader's desk.

SOOO, I requested to change from student desks to tables. I got them. Now I'm freaking out a little! The 6th graders will be in the room for 4-5 periods a day, and it is their "home base". What do I have them do with their stuff? They are all required to keep a binder, with a binder pouch for writing utensils, but they do have other supplies such as markers. I have thought of plastic storage bins, but I don't know exactly what I want. Anyone have suggestions?

Also, I'm struggling with how to arrange the tables. They are long and narrow, with room for 2 students side by side. I am trying to decide what my goal is-do I want more collaboration (in which case I would group 2 tables together, facing each other), or more whole-class interaction (in which case I would do some sort of U-shape, which is my favorite arrangement). Does anyone have experience?

3. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 18, 2011

How about chair pockets? They won't hold textbooks, but will hold a binder and pencil box.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

Do your sixth graders have lockers?

If you can fit the horseshoe and it is your favorite, then why not try.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 19, 2011

No we don't have lockers. I should have asked for them. I would only need 12, and the high school just got new ones. I wonder if the old ones are still around somewhere...

I just looked at Wal-Mart for some kind of modular storage. I am just cheap, and don't want to spend too much money. I thought I would just have them stack their text books and get them as needed, but I don't want to be constantly going after books. Hmm...

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 19, 2011

Do you have anywhere you could stack the plastic storage bins? Dollar Tree has plastic shoeboxes you could stack and they could get them as needed.

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 19, 2011

I used crates for my students to store their books when I taught 4th. You can get them at Big Lots, Target, Walmart. You could also use those open cubes they sell. (They're made of wood and a little more pricey.)

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2011

Do you know what textbooks you will use at the beginning of the day? Can you have the students grab all their textbooks and store them under their table until needed?

Then they can put them back in the stack when the other students use the classroom.

9. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 20, 2011

Is there a place to hand their bookbags? If so, I would have students keep the stuff they don't need there. We have hooks in our room where student can hang their bookbags.

I also have used crates. I once got a business to donate a lot of them. I had to wash them but they were very sturdy and worked great.

I see how it can be hard to do a U shape with those tables.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 20, 2011

That's what I'm thinking about doing. They would get their math supplies out, then go to PE and reading, then come back and put all that stuff away and get out science and social studies for the afternoon.

We'll work it out, somehow!

11. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 20, 2011

How could use some sort ofr storage box/crate and have you for each class. At the begining of class have one person that is in charge (I rotate my person weekly) of passing out supplies. I call the the room director; they like having a title. I do this for bellwork folders but if you have multiple items you could give them each a gallon ziploc bag with their name and everything goes in the bag so when supplies are passed out that person is only passing out 1 set of items instead of multiple sets which will take longer. Then at the end of class have someone collect and put the supplies away.

12. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Jul 20, 2011

I have the same tables and I really like them. I didn't at first because the previous teacher had them in 3 long rows and I couldn't walk around easily and it made the classroom very small. So I divided them into groups of two tables, side-by-side, and made did three diagonals one side and three diagonals on the other that made it look like V's with an opening at the bottom. So when I'm standing at the front I'm at the top of the V and there is space to get through all of the rows. Now I can get through easily, it opened up the classroom a lot and they are still in groups of four for easy grouping. Just an idea as I did not have the space for a horseshoe.