My most embarrassing teaching moment

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs. R., Sep 16, 2009.

1. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2009

happened today. I was teaching my afternoon LA class while being observed by about 8 of my colleagues. I turned back to the class after pulling down my projector screen, twisted my ankle and landed on my fanny!
    I was mortified, but I just kept on teaching! The other adults asked if I was okay (I sent one for an ice pack), but the kids just kept right on as if nothing happened.

So.... my ankle is sore, but my pride is bruised more!

Any one else a major klutz?

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009

wow; I hope you're better:(

I know I've done embarrasing things too in class...but for the life of me, I can't think of anything!

4. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Sep 16, 2009

... I taught for a good five minutes with my fly unzipped. This was during student teaching, but I will never, ever, ever... forget that.

... I only noticed because I finally figured out what all the giggling was about. Stupid me.........

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 16, 2009

Not exactly while teaching but all the teachers were doing a team building session at the bowling alley. I went to roll the ball and also fell right on my behind. I stood up and took a bow and said "I meant to do that" a la Pee Wee Herman but it was mortifying.:blush:

6. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Sep 16, 2009

Oh no! At least your students were nice enough to pretend nothing happened. I'm pretty sure mine would have busted out laughing. Of course, I probably would have been laughing at myself!

Hope your ankle (and your pride!) feels better! :)

7. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Sep 16, 2009

my kindergarteners probably would have laughed. they have been laughing at everything this week that isn't supposed to be funny (like people's names) I am sure your pride is more damaged than your ankle, but it'll be alright.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 16, 2009

OH NO! Hope your ankle is ok.

I was knocked down by a fifth grader one time, he was as embarrassed too.

9. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 16, 2009

I feel in the cafeteria the other day. Stood up and said, "Kids- don't try that at home :)" and everyone laughed it off! I was in so much pain!

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009

I was explaining all the centers one day and didn't realize a baby a parent volunteer had brought in was crawling behind me. When I stepped back I realized I was going to squish him so I purposely fell the other way, landing first against the side of the table and then on the floor. I sat on the floor sucking air like a fish and couldn't catch my breath - kids just staring at me wondering what I was going to do next. When I could talk again I just went on like nothing was wrong and taught another 3 hours with 3 broken ribs! Ouch! Did I mention I was wearing a dress?!

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 16, 2009

:eek:

12. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 16, 2009

scmom- Thats amazing! I would be crying with 3 broken ribs. You are tough!

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2009

I was laughing the whole time. For a while I just taught from the floor until I thought I could get up without hurting my ankle more. The other teachers in the room said it looked like I was falling in slow motion!

14. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2009

ok, scmom, yours is MUCH worse than mine! OUCH!

15. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

I was caught with my fly open, underwear showing and all!!! I was wondering why the students became so quiet in the middle of my lesson until one brave student pointed it out to me. I quickly spun around, up with the zipper at lightening speed, and turned around and continued the lesson. They just laughed and whooo and awwed.:eek: talk about embarrassment!!!:blush:

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 17, 2009

On the first day of school a couple of years ago, I fell while walking outside and landed face first in the middle of a four-square game!

17. blessedteacher

blessedteacher Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

Oh you all have some horror stories. Keep them coming. lol It is brightening my week.

18. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

Well mine is not a klutz moment but more of an embarassing female moment. My monthly friend visited while I was wearing BEIGE pants and it soaked through! I noticed this and did my best to cover it with my shirt. I also spent time walking backward in some form all through class time and prayed none of my little angels would notice. If they did, my plan was to say "oh no I sat in something nasty! I guess it's juice!"

I can't imagine breaking 3 ribs and continuing teaching. You all are better than me. I'd have a hard time NOT crying. Not only due to my injuries but pride.

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 18, 2009

I fell in the cafeteria last year on a pea and broke my ankle. The funny part is that the teachers all claim that if you need anything, go to my room to get it. When I fell a teacher came running and asked if I needed anything. I looked at her and said please go to my room and get me an airbrace. She thought I was joking, but I wasn't. I has broke my ankle previously and had a brace. One of our aides was playing soccer and twisted her ankle, so I brought her the brace to wear. She had brought it back to me the day before. There really was a brace in my room. The secretary called my husband and he came and got me. The doctor in the emergency room said I was his only patient that showed up with their leg in a cast before he determined it was broken.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 18, 2009

Ouch, ouch, ouch!

My worst moment that I can remember (I'm sure there are others), was when I was going to the bathroom in a private teacher bathroom and somehow forgot to lock the door. One of only THREE male teachers in the whole school walked in on me. Not a student moment, but mortifying none the less.

My worst student moment came when I reached up for a book on a shelf, forgetting I had put my coffee mug up there for storage. It fell RIGHT on my head, and shattered. Ahh-it hurt so badly! The kicker is that happened again about 2 months later to a student-I had a fabric tablecloth on my front table, and she was sitting on the floor with her back to the table, and pulled on the tablecloth when she leaned forward-my mug fell right on her head as well. My students were great in both cases-an equal balance of sympathy and good behavior while I cried it out.

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2009

Once I was playing softball or kickball with my kids and running full tilt I tried to stop. The clay from the infield had made it slick and I fell right on my butt VERY hard. It hurt so bad I could not talk and barely breathe. I looked up, surrounded by about 20 eight year olds. It was funny but lord it hurt. But my first and worst was my very first teaching job in 1978. I had a small math class of slow six graders, I think all black children. I was fussing at one little guy one day and he fell to the floor and begin hollering, "please dont beat me massa, please dont beat me" This was right after the great mini series "Roots" (which I watched in its entirety and loved). I was like GET UP GET UP.......................He had me good.

22. traveler

traveler Comrade

Sep 18, 2009

I had had surgery on my knee and was in a fill leg brace teaching 8th graders about a week later when the rolling chair I was siting on wheeled right out from under me. I was really embarrassed but they were very nice about it. Actually, they looked scared.

That same year I was pitching in the faculty/student softball game and one of kids hit a line drive to my shin. I fell over and couldn't walk for a bit. It gave me a softball sized goose egg on my shin. It hurt so badly.

23. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2009

Was the ice pack for your ankle or fanny? (that is such a strange word to post for a Brit)!

24. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2009

My most embarrasing monet was a few years back. We had a whole school assembly in the main hall with a guest speaker. The pupils filed in and sat down and the staff stood round the sides of the hall. A table had been left out at the side and so I decided to sit on the corner of it> The table had been left out by the caretaker prior to being thrown out as the top was not attched to the legs! With a huge crash the table collapsed and I ended up sitting on the floor surronded by the remains of the table. It certainly brought the assembly to a halt!

25. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Sep 19, 2009

I was standing under the clock pointing out to the students that it was NOT time to go yet when the clock fell off the wall and hit me on the head. It really hurt! It was a good example of irony!