My most embarrassing moment

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sweetlatina23, Jun 29, 2012.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 29, 2012

I feel so humiliated! My husband came out for dinner to celebrate that we bought a new car. It's a used car that will help us save gas. Anyway, all our personal items our in our other vehicle, including our debit card. We didn't realize this until it was time to pay. I had $24 out of the $30 plus tip we owed. After trying to transfer online to our pay pal account and having no luck my husband had to go ALL the way back home. I had to stay and wait. I am beyond embarrassed. :eek::eek:

I'm sure one day this will be hilarious. Maybe a story for the first day of school.

The waiter just came by and offered me some tea. I feel so bad. There are getting ready to close. :unsure:

What is your most embarrassing moment?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2012

Oh man, that sucks. But you know what? I am sure you were not the first. It's okay. :) I assume they didn't have to stay later waiting for your husband's return, right?

When I was a teenager I didn't have my money with me (I forget why) and I had already filled up on gas. Thankfully, in a small town you can sometimes get away with coming back later or the nest day when these things happen. Well, maybe not now since everything is electronic/instant...they might have to have the money before closing the registers for the evening. Anyhow...

I'll have to think of my most embarrassing moment and come back to share.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 29, 2012

Thank God he showed up in time. Our waiter thought it was funny.

Thanks for the story, it calmed me down.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 29, 2012

I once locked my keys in my car--while it was parked in the fire lane. When the security officer came by, I burst into tears. He didn't give me a ticket and told me it would be fine. I was 17, and it was my first time living away from home. I had parked illegally to unload my stuff, and I accidentally locked the car. I had to call my parents and my dad brought the other key. Luckily it was only only a 30 minute drive.

Funny later. Not so much at the time.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2012

I once went to dinner with a friend (this was in high school). I only had enough for my share and she had left her wallet at home. The line for dinner was starting to pile up and the waitress was increasingly desperate to get rid of us, so we kept ordering desserts until her sister got there.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2012

Once we went to look at a treadmill at someone's house. It was from Craigslist, so we didn't know the person. Our keys got locked in our car while it was in their driveway-and it was still running and our dogs were inside (one of the dogs stepped on the lock button). We had to call a locksmith and wait for them. (We didn't buy the treadmill either.) I was really embarrassed.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 30, 2012

I recently was so engrossed in my conversation with a friend that we got up and literally left without paying! It was not intentional. We live in a foreign country and are conscious of our reputation as Americans. How did we discover our mistake? The Japanese speaking owner had to chase us in the parking lot to tell us.

We have since then been regulars to the place and they know our drink orders when we walk in. My husband is planning to make them some ribs this week and take it to them as a gesture of friendship. The wife made my youngest an origami shrimp out of a straw. Nice couple but boy did we make an interesting first impression.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 30, 2012

I use a different bag for work and then on the weekends transfer wallet/phone, etc. to a purse. I went to the grocery store last weekend-cart about 1/2 full of groceries, they started to ring them up and I realized....I didn't put my wallet in the purse! :blush: They were going to have to reshelve everything. I shop there regularly and think it will be awhile before I go back to that store. :whistle:

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 30, 2012

Last weekend I took my kids to the children's museum and put my ID, credit card, and cash in the wallet part of their diaper bag so I wouldn't have to keep up with my purse. On Monday morning I went to stop at McDonalds and realized I had no money, so embarrassing to tell them to cancel my order, but it happens. I usually keep a 5 dollar bill and some change in my console, but DH had used it to buy a soft drink.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 30, 2012

I've done this before! The clerk was nice enough to set my bags aside while I zipped home (5 minutes) to get my wallet!

12. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jun 30, 2012

The night before my wedding we were at the church for the rehearsal. My fiancee' (at the time) drove in a separate vehicle. I was so flustered and stressed because I was late that I got out of my car and left the keys in the ignition AND left it running! We were in the church for 2 hours. I panicked that I couldn't find my keys when it was time to go so my sister suggested I check my car. That's when I realized (along with EVERYONE else who was helping me to search) what I'd done.

I was so embarrassed, yet thankful that no one stole my car! My family still hasn't let me live that down!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 30, 2012

When I worked at a grocery store this older couple (who shopped there regularly) came through my line and had about $100 worth of groceries. I kept seeing them whisper to eachother as I rang them up but I didn't really pay too much attention. When i was done I told them their total and they said, "we will be right back. we have to drive home to get our money". I just held their cart on the side and waited for them to come back. They were back in about 15 minutes so I guess they lived close by!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2012

When I was in college, my hubs (bf at the time) and I had gotten hungry after the cafeteria had already closed for the night. All we had was a change can full of pennies, nickles, dimes, and some quarters. We sat and counted all that change, wrote the amount down. I drove to taco bell and ordered some food. It came out to about $2 less than what we had counted so I just gave them the can and said, this has $4.32 in it. They made me pull around and count out the correct amount.

When we were on vacation last weekend we were checking out of the hotel and I could not find my keys anywhere. We looked throughout the room, through the suitcases that were already down in the lobby with the bellman. I finally went out to my car, and there they were, car unlocked, keys in the ignition. I am so thankful that the car wasn't stolen!!

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

I was dropping some books off at the library on a Friday evening after they had closed. They have a drive-thru lane for the book drop. I couldn't reach the chute, so I had to get out of my car. The door, ever so gently, closed behind me, just enough for the lock to latch (don't ask me how, since the driver's door normally doesn't lock with the keys in the ignition). So, there my car sat--locked and running, with my purse inside. The only phone numbers I know by heart are my family members who live 500 miles away. Luckily, there was a janitor inside who heard me pounding on the service door, and he was able to find me a phone book. I had to beg a group of teenage boys hanging out in the parking lot to let me use a cell phone, and then proceeded to try about 10 different numbers. No one was answering. The last person I could think to call had an unlisted number, so I actually called her sister-in-law (who I had never met) and asked for her cell phone number. Thankfully she answered, but I had to wait about 20 minutes for her to get there. In the meantime, several cars pulled up behind me to use the drive-thru, and I had to explain that I wouldn't be moving anytime soon. Someone offered to stop by a garage nearby and find out if they opened locks. The guy came a little bit after my friend, got it open in about 5 seconds, and only charged me 10 bucks. I was absolutely mortified!

16. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

Most embarrassing moment?

Hmm.

Well, my wife and I were planning a trip to Japan, and she said she didn't want to have to drive all the way early in the morning and park at the airport for two weeks. So... she wanted to spend the night in the city and get to the airport by public transit.

She's very thrifty -- especially back then when we were both making a lot less. So she suggested we just lay out a blanket on the carpet at her workplace and sleep there, and get up early in the morning before anyone arrived. So we did that. I usually just sleep in my underwear and a t-shirt, and after all... no one was around.

I woke at about 6 am and needed to go to the bathroom. So, I asked my dear wife if I should get dressed and she said, "No, don't worry -- no one's going to come for hours, just walk down the hall and go."

So I went, in my underwear and a t-shirt and slippers, down the hall, opening the door to the hall where the bathroom was. When I opened it, there was the (female) head of accounting coming in to work. I yelped, tried to cover myself with my hands, and ran the other way back to my wife.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

There was a bar near my old apartment that we went to all the time. We went so much that the bartenders knew us and would start us a tab without our credit cards. One night I guess I had a couple too many drinks and I just left without paying my tab and I didn't even realize it until I went back the next week and the bartender was like um... Do you know you didn't pay your tab last time? I guess he paid it to avoid getting in trouble for not taking my card for the tab. I felt like an idiot. That night when I paid, I ended up leaving him the tip for that night, the tip for the previous night, the amount for the bill he paid, and some extra because he was so cool about it. I just can't believe I just walked out without paying. It's funny now but I felt like a complete idiot.

18. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 30, 2012

I guess we all have had our share. Thanks for sharing.