"My mom says we don't have the money"

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by mrsd81, Feb 21, 2006.

1. mrsd81

mrsd81 New Member

Feb 21, 2006

I would like to have my students do some special projects like posters, but almost all the children get free or reduced price meals. Many can't even buy paper and pencils. I can't ask that they buy poster board! I don't have unlimited funds to buy extra supplies. I did buy a big box of pencils and a pack of paper. By this time of year, the supplies at school are getting low. I guess I'm not asking for a solution, but how do you deal with kids who can't even afford basic supplies?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2006

Make do with what you have- sad, but teachers in all districts do it. We are all facing budget cutbacks, tightening of the belts so to say. Maybe you could get some paper donated from a printing company or the local newpaper might have newsprint they could give you. My husband works for a printing company and brings me the ends of the big rolls of paper. (They unload the rolls before they run out so they don't run out during a printing job) My kids love the rolls of paper for recess time. You can search for websites where teachers can get free stuff. (sometimes these great deals are discussed here on the forums and we all jump on the bandwagon!!)

4. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Feb 21, 2006

Ebay is a great place to find interesting/different/unique items - but it's catch-as-catch-can - you never know what you'll find and watch the SHIPPING. Sometimes that's where you can end up paying a whole long more than you should when you add in shipping.

I've also hit up my own family & friends for some resources.

Good luck!

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 21, 2006

Dollar Stores are cheap. Our local bank and telephone company help our school and donate when we ask for certain items. I think I read some place if you ask Office Max will donate. Make a list and take with you when you ask. Paper copy paper and number of reams, Pencils and number maybe two a student and a couple for you. Glue, Scotch tape, computer ink, and whatever else you need.

6. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Feb 22, 2006

Let everyone you know that you are willing to take donations. I am amazed at how many reams of paper that I end up with because buisnesses change printers/ suppliers, etc.
    I also keep my eyes open in the end of August. Walmart, Office Depot, etc all seem to discount their school supplies to get families in. Folders are 10c, binder paper 15c, packs of crayons 25c, markers 50c, etc.
    Once you are out of college and have your teaching jon. remember that teachers get a tax break for up to $500 worth of supplies that they purchase for their classroom each year.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 22, 2006

Google the site freecycle.com
    It is a forum where local members give away free stuff. There could be one in your area. They are nationwide.

8. wig

wig Devotee

Feb 22, 2006

I had a friend in a similar situation who went to her local Walmart when she was running low on basic supplies. She talked to the manager and got an unbelievable amount of supplies free for her class.

9. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Feb 26, 2006

Ask for donations. A grocery store, bank, or even a WalMart (like Wig said) will give donations. just make sure the kids write a sweet thank you note and sign all of their names. Companies love to show they give to the community.

10. thom3674

thom3674 New Member

Feb 26, 2006

Instead of posterboard try blank newspaper. Home-owned, or local newspapers usually will donate scrape rolls or defects.

11. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Feb 27, 2006

This may sound funny, but it's something that I've been doing, and I find it really works: Go around to local private schools, private day cares, and pre-schools, even UPKs and ask them to save their scraps, used bulletin board backing, and anything else they may have. I just left a substituting job in a private preschool with 3 inch wide peices of purple mettalic posterboard, and it's not the only thing I've gotten from them-almost new crayons, 1/2 sheets of craft foam, used bulletin board borders...it works both ways-you save them garbage disposal costs, nothing goes to waste, and your students get everything they could possibly need:D