My mom hired a man with Cerebral Palsy.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ecteach, Dec 30, 2013.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Dec 30, 2013

My mom is a director at her job. I don't want to give too much information online about the person who she hired, or what she does for a living. She said he has some pretty severe mobility issues. He's not in a wheelchair, but uses a walker. He can't work the normal job, but she asked me to come up with some special jobs that he can do. These are things that would have been completed anyway, just by many different people all throughout the building.

She's already had to call the maintenance people because the doors were not accessible. They had automatic doors, but they only stayed open for 2 seconds. She said her eyes have already been open to how non-accessible her place of employment was. Proud of my mom.

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 30, 2013

My sister is handicapped. She is in a wheelchair. She has been since she was four. She works for a major cell phone carrier. She just started at their main office. She is so excited about her new job because they have asked what she needed to help her do her job better. The last job she had was in a major car rental place's main office. They made her feel guilty when she needed accommodations. She has to go out of state for training. They are worried about her getting around at the other city and no one from the office can go with her, so they are sending my brother in law to drive for her.

My suggestions is ask him. What works for her might not work for him.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 30, 2013

Thank you to your Mom! She is good people.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 30, 2013

I hired a friend with CP as a special needs educational assistant years ago. She used 2 canes to assist her with walking. I placed her with a kindergarten student who was a runner one year. It was so funny to watch him run from her as he would run to a corner, wait for her to catch up and then run to the next corner and wait.:lol:

6. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

Is this in a school? I assume the new employee only has mobility issues, and not cognitive delays? Can he tutor students? It's hard to say what he can do when we don't have information on the job for which he was hired. I would suggest that his cognitive function be respected. In other words, don't give him work that is far below his ability just because he uses a walker.

7. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Jan 3, 2014

Agree wholeheartedly. He is unable to do a lot of the reaching and shelving of materials due to his mobility issues. He is able to work behind the desk. No cognitive delays. He's actually in college.