My mentor teacher is the best!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MikeTeachesMath, Mar 30, 2012.

1. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 30, 2012

So around a month ago, in passing, I mentioned to my mentor teacher that I was in my college's theatre department's talent show. He's a huge Broadway fan (his wife got him into it), so he had me give him the time and place and he said he was going to show up with his wife.

So the talent show was tonight, and indeed he showed up. With around 50 of our students. Apparently he mentioned it to his classes and encouraged them to come support me. No extra credit, no incentives, nothing: just pure support. I didn't even know they were there until I got on stage with my friends and introduced our skit. My reaction was somewhere along the lines of :eek:.

It's times like this where I realize how lucky I am to be placed with such an amazing teacher and to have such amazing support and cooperation from the students. Sorry, gushy teacher moment! :blush: I've been having a crappy week so this really perked me up.

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2012

That is so sweet of him! What a great mentor teacher!
    And it also shows how much the students must appreciate you if they were willing to come see you.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2012

Wow. That just makes me smile all over myself! :)

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 30, 2012

As a fellow performer, I agree that there is nothing as wonderful as a friendly audience. What a supportive teacher to assure that you had just that!

6. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Mar 30, 2012

Yea that's great it's good to have support like this. I hope the performance went well!

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 30, 2012

The performance was fantastic. Every time the talent show comes around, a few of the groups participate in what's called Miscast, which is a larger benefit that even Broadway stars get involved in. Basically, you pick a Broadway piece that you would love to sing, but because of some restriction (gender, voice type, etc.), you could never be cast for (hence "miscast"). It's really a ton of fun. One of my good friends was a female Sweeney Todd; another friend did a lesbian version of Jane Eyre. My friends and I did the infamous ending tap number from Anything Goes with me as Reno. Hardest thing I've ever done in my life! Took us months to get the choreography down.

So, yes, it went well!

8. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Mar 31, 2012

Wow, that's awesome!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 31, 2012

Wow, I love the Miscast idea! I was in Anything Goes in high school and was told not to put taps on my shoes, so I'm jealous that you could manage that routine.

10. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 31, 2012

Performing Anything Goes without taps is criminal. :lol: "Manage" is a good word to describe how well we rehearsed. We kept messing up at the dress rehearsal immediately before the performance so I was terrified of performing it, but it went off without a hitch. :) I was no Sutton Foster but I so rocked Reno. :lol:

We can't take any credit for the Miscast idea; it's a larger benefit. "Funds raised from Miscast help MCC Theater produce some of the most talked-about new
    work Off-Broadway and support our Youth Company and in-school partnerships that serve New York City public high school students, as well as our literary development work with emerging playwrights."

11. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 1, 2012

Wow, that is so sweet!