My medical drama

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kpa1b2, May 31, 2015.

1. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 31, 2015

Nothing compared to bros.

Last October I had my annual physical. Had elevated liver enzymes. My primary care sent me to have an ultrasound done on my liver, everything came back fine.

Fast forward to this month. Had my yearly appointment with my gastro. He noted the bloodwork from October. He wanted to investigate it more. Not a problem, only more bloodwork to be done. As he was coming from the hospital & late he didn't have his prescription pad. He's at this office only a couple of times a week.

Waited a couple of days, the script didn't arrive in the mail. Called the office. They don't know what he wanted done, call his main office. The main office tells me that my file is at the other office. (duh). Call them. I call the first office back, thankfully, by now it's 2 weeks later & he will be there. Finally get the script.

Yesterday I go to pick up the script and have my blood drawn. The lab is right there. The lady at the lab says she can't do it, as one of the tests call for my blood to be frozen and she doesn't have a freezer. They send me to a different lab. They can't read the script & don't think anything has to be frozen. Being Saturday my dr. isn't in. So now I have to wait some more. The good news is that none of the scripts call for me fasting so I'll be able to do it after school one day this week.

3. bros

bros Phenom

May 31, 2015

I had elevated liver enzymes too. They're still elevated, too. Which is a good and a bad thing. Good, because it probably means I can take liver-filtered seizure meds in the filter. Bad, because they are still elevated.

I hate when people can't read prescriptions - my oncologist's phlebotomists had an issue the other day when they could not read the prescription from a fertility preservation clinic - as the clinic worked with labcorp, and labcorp has their own special codes, that no other lab company uses. That could be the issue with your blood tests. So if your doc works with labcorp, and you are going to a non-LabCorp place, that could be the problem. Just my thoughts - and i've had 25 blood draws or so since March 7th.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 31, 2015

This was just really poor handwriting.

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 31, 2015

That must be so frustrating! I hate when a doctor notes something that is possible concerning and then the follow-up stalls for some stupid reason, like a poorly written prescription. I hope it works out soon.

I have been on IV antibiotics for six weeks(!) and the pharmacist just called to asked if my doctor has contacted me. Apparently my white blood count is very high. My doctor didn't even notice, or even look at my blood results. All it means is that I'm very sick, which is obvious, but it would be nice if my doctor cared. Why order blood if you aren't even going to look at it? I guess you are lucky your doctor noticed your liver levels, mine wouldn't. But I hope it's nothing and you get answers soon!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 31, 2015

My mom's was high due to some kind of meds or something else she was taking!