My math block

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Elcsmith, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Dec 3, 2007

I need to pick some brains for fresh ideas. During my math block I am required to teach a 15-20 minute whole group lesson. (second grade) Then the kiddos do a page from their work book and as they finish they go into math centers for 45 minutes. During math centers I am supposed to pull 4 small groups and either challenge or help them depending on their needs. I use this same model for reading and it works wonderfully .....but I have an assistant to help the kiddos so I can do my small groups. During math there is no assistant and I did have parent help but she's leaving. So I need some ideas. Here is a list of the problems I'm currently having. I have a couple of ideas for some of them but I need some feedback! Thanks!

1. Many students still need help after the whole group lesson to complete the practice page but for the model to work I have to pull small groups AS SOON AS I finish whole group. If I stop to help students I don't get to all the small groups.

Possible solution: groups of 3....help each other- you are not allowed to go into your center until you've made sure everyone in your group is done - problem....i need a system for students who need more than just that extra push

2. Interruptions to my small groups from students - I need a system for this

I'll leave it at this for now...but again - - please share your thoughts!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 3, 2007

Teach your students some routines so they know not to interrupt you. There are many options, such as ask 3 before me, skip the ones you're stuck on, etc. What if you left 5 minutes at the end of small group time to go back and help the ones who need extra help?

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 3, 2007

If they "help each other" you may find some very similar papers getting turned in. Sometimes kids this age are not so great about "helping"

Can you have an answer sheet for the worksheet and have one of the centers a correction center? They trade with a partner, correct, and go back and fix?

Maybe the lower kids who can't do the workbooks independently should be your first group and you can work through the skills again with them in a small group. This is essentially "reteaching" the lesson you just taught. Spend 10 minutes or so on that, then practice with another skill they need reteaching in. For their centers, have them play games together at their level.

For the kids who need a challenge, they really should be able to do the worksheet independently, then work on their own on something else for a bit. In fact, I would meet with them second, but only BRIEFLY, like 10 minutes and give them an enrichment task they can do in a group or on their own. This gives you an extra 10 minutes with the kids who really need it. The other two groups can still be 20 minutes.

If you are giving the stronger students really good at level work to do independently, they will be fine. I find my kids who are great in math, really need very little explanation, and in a couple minutes are ready to work on their own.

5. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Dec 4, 2007

oooh I like the idea of a correction center. I know the papers turn out the same when they help each other but I was hoping if I was reviewing the same skill in small group by the time they were done with me they'd have it. But a correction center sounds better! I typically only have about 10 minutes per group....I wish I had twenty! You gave me some useful suggestions! This is why I love this site!