My Major Frustration This Year: MATH!!!!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Teachingtots, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Mar 25, 2013

Hi everyone,

I just need to vent for a minute! I am feeling so frustrated with my math block, the first block of the day, and it ruins my morning! My district uses Everyday Math, which I loathe. My brain simply does not work in a "spiral" as Everyday Math does! I want to stick with one thing and dig deep before moving on, rather than skimming a topic every few weeks.

Luckily, teachers in my district have a lot of autonomy regarding how we want to teach. So I don't have to follow Everyday Math precisely. But, I really don't want to spend all my free time planning new math units!

For my math block, I start with a mini-lesson and then the kids work at independent centers, while I pull small groups. This set-up is working pretty well, but I just feel all over the place with my mini-lessons. I can't believe our district (a top district in the nation) does not have a pacing guide out for math instruction. I keep hearing that it is coming out next year, but what about this year!?

Is anyone else feeling frustrated with the lack of guidance and heavy load that teachers have? Maybe it was just a bad day...but, ahhh! :dizzy:

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2013

Yes! Math has been one of my greatest struggles this year too! In sped, we have no guidance. I can teach literally anything I want to my math group. There is nothing to go by, and I am not even given the same materials that grade-level teachers. I have IEP goals to guide me, of course, but I don't have any sort of scope and sequence to lead me to meeting those goals. I find myself going all over the place trying to figure out how to best get these kids to meet their goals, and I feel like I'm probably just confusing them more. :-(

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2013

I used Everyday Math before. I supplemented a lot as the program has its problems. I think it will be a program that might phase out as schools implement more Common Core. My opinion is that it doesn't match up well with Common Core.

There is so much free math online with worksheets, games, activities, lesson plans etc. I find it is the easiest subject to go elsewhere when I need more resources.

5. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Apr 18, 2013

I feel you. I teach Everyday Math as well, we have to skip so much due to Common Core. We will begin unit 10 next week and have 8more weeks of school. HELP:dizzy: