My laundry plan

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ku_alum, Jun 1, 2009.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 1, 2009

Okay, I admitted here once that laundry is my secret shame. I can get it into the wash and out of the dryer, but I have a hard time getting it on a hanger and in the closet.

I have a giant pile of clean clothes.

I have a giant pile of hangers.

I have a half dozen Law & Orders tivo'd.

Clothes on hangers, in front of Law & Order, until I'm finished.

Wish me luck!

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2009

Goooooooooooooooood :)
    :angel: Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
    Rebel1

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2009

Good Luck--I DO NOT fold clothes and my family knows that. We have 2 very large walk in closets in my bedroom so instead of his and hers closets, we have a shared his/hers closet and a closet for the clothes that are just in there piled up.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2009

Here's a clothes folding tip.

As I pull them out of the basket, I throw them into piles based on what they are - dress shirts, socks, boxers, t-shirts, athletic (bike) clothing, etc. Then I fold one pile of the time. The folding seems to go a lot faster when I'm only folding one type of thing.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 1, 2009

You sound JUST like me. I put it off forever and then pop in a Gilmore Girls DVD.

GOOD LUCK!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 1, 2009

Good luck, ku. I sympathize completely.

I have made a pact with myself regarding laundry. At our last place, we had a stackable washer/dryer in a closet. I would put a HUGE load in, wash it and then forget about. For a few days. It would smell TERRIBLE! I would wash it again and again and again, often forgetting about several more times in the process, and the smell would never really leave. Then I would dry, and throw the clothes in a huge pile. It was a horrible cycle. The breaking point was the day I picked dh up from work and could smell the mildew on his clothes. I was so ashamed, and vowed to do better.

I bought my fantastic geranium laundry detergent, and have made friends with my new stackable washer/dryer in a closet. I only wash one small load, and then dry it immediately. I do not allow myself to do loads overnight, as I know I will forget about them. I then fold them as soon as I take them out of the dryer. It seems to be working. I'm never caught up, as dh wears SO many outfits every day (he's such a girl... :rolleyes:), but at least our clothes smell and look great when they ARE washed.

Now if I could just get a routine down with the dishes-they are out of CONTROL at this new place. I think our counter is smaller.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2009

Excellent plan!

I use my DVR for the same purposes! :lol:

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

I did it!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

Woo!

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

I don't know which is funnier. Ku finishing laundry past midnight her time, or Cassie's little 'woo' in celebration.

I'll add my own weak celebratory sound, and force myself to sleep in your honor. 'Huzzah!'

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

Ha, Jem! I figured out something ... In the summer when I am home from school, I get more stuff done in the evening than I do during the day. DH is out of town so I don't have to worry about his schedule. I've been super productive in the evenings.

My laundry piles in the spare bedroom, on the bed. When it was clear our dog Abby was in heaven ... a new place to sleep!! I took a photo of Abby on the CLEAR bed and sent it to DH's phone. He is going to be impressed. :)

I'm lucky that DH does his laundry and the linens. I'm just responsible for my clothes.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

The trouble with laundry--it has to be done over and over. My trick is to sort by person as I take it out of the dryer. Each person has a clothes basket. I also have a coat rack from a school that I immediatly hang clothes on. Everyone is responsible for picking up their hanger clothes and their clothes basket. It sure saves a lot of work for me. When I had kids at home, I also assigned underware by color.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2009

I do the SAME THING. It's such a gross smell and it does NOT come out.

I was also supposed to sit in front of the tv with a huge pile to fold. It didn't happen.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

KU, I'm right there with you. Laundry is my least favorite chore in the whole world. I've got a system a bit like Jem's; I won't let myself do more than one load at a time, and I won't put a new one in until the old one is hanging or in the drawers.

If I ever become a multimillionaire, the first thing I'm doing is hiring someone to handle the laundry. Bleah.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

I am laundry-impaired. I am, however, trying to develop strategies to make myself more successful. I now sort before washing--all the clothes in the load belong to the same person. I also have started to fold clothes as I take them out of the dryer--it forces me to do it. I don't match socks, though, they all get put in one big pile on top of the folded clothes. I also don't put laundry away--everyone's pile goes onto the couch in the living room or on the hall floor outside of the bedroom door.

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2009

Try using the Arm & Hammer detergent! It works wonders and it's also one of the least expensive detergents.

I found it to be the ONLY detergent that will rid of human urine smell (another long & sad story); I tried all detergents and Arm & Hammer was the only one that worked!

I still use it, even though I have no need to get ride of u. smell.

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

Okay - I have a deal to make with all you laundry haters

Laundry is my most favorite chore - I love doing laundry :love:

So here's the deal; I am free for the summer :D. Buy me a plane ticket and I will do ALL your laundry; washed, fabric softener, washed according to the label instructions, I will even handwash your handwashables, sorted according to color and fabric, uses great care to choose the correct washing cycle and water temp, dried on the right cycle, hung up or folded immediately when the dryer buzzes and put away in the right places :)

Sound like a deal - waiting on those plane tickets . . . . :whistle:

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

You're right! The A&H detergent is fantastic. I love how inexpensive it is and how it smells. It's pleasant and extremely mild. Who knew?

The only other brand I've found that I like as much is the Amway/Quixtar brand. My in-laws do Amway, so I always ask them to send us some of that detergent. I like it because you only have to use a teeny bit, so the box lasts for like months.

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

INTeacher, you could fly all over the country all summer!

21. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

IN--Just send me your address and your plane ticket will be on the way. I even have 2 washers and 2 dryers in my house with a huge laundry room. It is laundry heaven for someone who likes to do laundry.:lol::lol:

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

I HATE laundry! I fold the clothes in the dryer and put them away before I ever put another load in the washer.

23. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jun 2, 2009

I really don't mind the laundry..it's the dishes that I hate doing, especially by hand. I even bought myself a portable dishwasher for Christmas one year.

24. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 2, 2009

I like doing the laundry if I'm using detergent and fabric sheets that smell pretty. I liked the lavendar/vanilla sheets I tried from Downy.

It's much more enjoyable to fold when they're warm too because they're cozy especially when it's cold outside! If I don't take them out right away, then I just restart it for a short time to try to get the wrinkles out.

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

INTeacher--I'd love to take you up on your offer, but you would spoil my laundry so much that it could never go back to the "old ways". It would probably all run away and follow you so that it would continue to be well-cared for. I'd then need to buy new clothes for my entire family and I just can't afford that. :lol:

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 2, 2009

Hi, my name is kcjo, and I am a laundry-phobic!

I hate laundry so much. I am sitting here avoiding it right now. I can wash and dry all day, but the folding and putting away...<shudders>...

Has anyone tried those Purex sheets that have the 3-in-1? Soap, softener, anti-static all in one? My friend said they are great, but I'm not so sure. I am pretty attached to my brands.

27. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

Chemteach - drooling over 2 machines - it would be heaven :)

MrsC - too funny :) I am visioning your clothes trying to make a run for the border. And not make it too tempting, but I have 12 years of experience with soccer clothing :)

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

Hmmm...that does make it tempting. Would your willingness to do my laundry be impacted by the fact that, for the last 3 years, all of the soccer gear--uniforms, practice shorts and jerseys, track suits, warm-up wear, etc--cannot go in the dryer? Do you have lots of hanging space?

(Who, in their right mind, orders soccer gear that can't be put in the dryer? Obviously not someone who has kids who are on the pitch at least 4 tims a week!)

29. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

Folding

This is just for the guys out there..... (all four of us....:lol::lol:)

If you mess up on the "folding" enough your wife wont let you in the laundry room..... :p:p

If that doesn't work....... contact the Merry Maids.... or a similar group.... We've been using them for years....:):)

30. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

I did the opposite. My husband told me 22 years ago when we were 1st married that I loaded the dishwasher the wrong way so guess who has had to load the dishwasher for the last 22 years. He NEVER again told me I was cleaning something the wrong way.

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

Major...
    Guess who does his own laundry in my house?

32. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

Lots of husbands make similar mistakes....... (the Major included)...:p.... hence for over two decades we had a Merry Maid type service.....:eek:

Note to you newly wed husbands....... Never tell your wife you can do any part of "house work" better than she can.......:lol::lol:

And special note to you CT....... when we visit you in Louisiana please don't tell my wife that you don't fold clothes.....:p

33. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

Boy ........Canadian women are tough..(despite those good looking hair do's).....:lol::lol:

How did you train him?...... :p

34. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 2, 2009

I've never had a problem with laundry. I always prided myself on the way my sons looked when they went to school. I even ironed their t-shirts because I never put them in the dryer due to shrinkage. (most of my clothes I hang to dry) If I spend good money on clothes I want to take care of them so washing, drying, ironing and putting them away has always been a priority with me. Plus, all of the men in my home work outside in the summer(construction, lawn maintainance) and there is no way that I am going to leave smelly, sweaty, clothes laying around.

35. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

I didn't read the labels on all of his running clothes and something went into the dryer that shouldn't have. No shrinkage, but something about the "special quality" of the fabric was ruined. Since I won't read the fine print on every piece of clothing, and don't handwash anything, I have one less person's laundry to do. Simple!

36. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

I am with you--NOTHING in my house is handwashed and I am also too cheap to dry clean. I do not iron either--we put our clothes in the dryer with a wet towel in the morning and then there is no ironing necessary.

37. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

When I work, I also use Merry Maids. I have never had them do laundry--but might give it a try.

38. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

I don't mind doing laundry its just putting it away. It always bothered my mom that I never put it away.

39. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jun 2, 2009

Try just a little bit of vinegar. It works wonders! Somebody gave me this tip when I had a blanket under my bed get wet when the a/c leaked. I didn't find it for WEEKS until you could actually smell the smell when you walked in the room. I washed it over and over and over again with no luck until I tried vinegar. It's been perfect ever since. :)