My last for the night--lol- Record yourself reading

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Jul 22, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

I would like to record myself, parents, and guests reading books that the students can listen to at listening center. Any ideas on how I would do this and what I would use?

I have started so many threads tonight. I guess you can tell I am excited to go back.:lol:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

Have you looked into Audicity? It's online and completely free to download.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

Yea I have audacity on my computer but I want my kids to be able to take it with them to use as a center. Also parents would not be able to do it.

pretty much how would I get my recording off of the computer if I used that.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2010

Oh fun, I wonder if the kids would recognize their parents voices. It would probably be easiest to have a tape recorder set up in the classroom and send an invite for like 2 parents per after school to read the book into your tape recorder. OR you can send a memo, and hope they have one at home. Or you can record with a digital camera a video of them reading and play it on the computer.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

Can you burn what you record into audicity on a CD?

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

I guess I could get a cheap tape recorder or ask my library if they have a tape recorder.

I know it would be easier to do it on the computer but I still would like them to use it at the listening center and there is no way they are using my computer there. lol

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

Hmm..i guess I could ask my computer person at my school. Good idea!

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

Do you have an iPod? You can get a microphone attachment for it. They can record voice 'memos' (they can be as long as you want) and then you simply upload them to your computer. You can then put them on a website, burn them to a cd, etc. Very easy!

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

I would love to know if you find out this info! This is an awesome idea. I have a great collection of listening center sets, but would love to add more!

11. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 23, 2010

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features
    I guess whether the WAV or AIFF files play on a CD player is a different question.

Couldn't you also get a digital recorder such as http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=sony+icd+bx700&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9190401802334123059&ei=VYRJTN_POYP-8AbX98zSDg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDsQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

I know it records as MP3 and comes with a USB. Not sure about the sound quality though.

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

I have a MP3 but do not have the usb. I could never figure out how to work those things.

I did put an ad on craigslist last night for a tape recorder donation. I woke up this morning and someone has one to donate to me for free! He says its brand new and a SONY!
    Hopefully this is the real thing. I have to e-mail him back.

13. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

Awesome Idea! Will have to add this to my idea book!

14. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 23, 2010

It's not cheap, but I got three of these funded by donorschoose.org and I use them to record lessons and stories for listening station and the kids record themsleves reading too. The files are super easy to upload to the computer and burn on CD's if needed.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 23, 2010

I use Audacity in the classroom and at home. If parents come in, they can use it as well, though they have never used it. The only thing when you download it is that you should put the lame encoder file to change the files to .mp3 files. I have put them on my classroom website over time. .mp3 files play fine on a CD player; I put together CDs in iTunes from the .mp3 files; that's why I mentioned that.

16. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

So I have been thinking. Is it okay to read the books and tape record them? I don't want to ask parents to do it and then get in trouble for it?

17. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 25, 2010

Yes. I imagine you're fine as long as you're not selling the recordings. It probably falls under "education use" in copyright law.