My Last Day of Teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Letsgo, May 29, 2016.

1. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

May 29, 2016

I'm "retiring" as a teacher after this year to stay at home with my 7 month old son. Today, I attended graduation for my first group of graduating seniors. I've spent only 4 years as a high school teacher, and leaving is bittersweet. I love my school, and I love my coworkers. I love my students, and I love teaching. I'm sad to be leaving them.

One of the hardest things about leaving is that I feel like I'm leaving my job unfinished. I had plans! Last year, I covered one side of my room with a timeline of American Literarure. I wanted to cover the opposite wall with a timeline of British literature. I wanted to refigure our vocabulary program and teach Greek and Latin roots instead of "Vocabulary for the SAT." I wanted to pilot "Bonus Binders" filled with activities for my students who inevitably finish 10 minutes before the rest of the class to do. I had some ideas of attempting to do an "Open World" test for students to complete, allowing them to use not just their books, but their phones and laptops and whatever else they could find to complete a test (These types of things I hate to send home because way too many parents do homework at my school). And an ongoing poetry unit that we use to fill the bulletin board at the back of the classroom.

I love teaching. Before I had kids, I always knew that I wanted to stay home with them when they were little. Even so, I never knew how hard of a decision this would be. Who knows what the future will hold, but for now, I'm done. And I'm a little bit sad.

2ndTimeAround and DizneeTeachR like this.
  3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 29, 2016

You can always go back to teaching and finish your unfinished business.
    But you can't go back and watch your kids grow up :)

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 30, 2016

I was home with my kids for 10 years; I've never regretted that decision.

DizneeTeachR likes this.
  5. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

May 30, 2016

I also stayed home with young children for 10 years, and I am definitely proof that you can go back. I started as an elementary school teacher, but I now teach social studies.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 30, 2016

I think you are making the right decision. Teaching is a great job to return to, I don't think it is stigmatized by taking time off and returning.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2016

Enjoy every minute with your little one. It will be irreplaceable. I predict that in a short while you will wonder how you ever had a doubt.

2ndTimeAround and MrsC like this.
  8. JeniD

JeniD Rookie

Jun 14, 2016

Enjoy this time with your little one. Like the above posters said...you can go back to teaching but you can't go back and spend this time with your child once they are grown. Cherish each day! Best of luck to you :)