My laptop died. Suggestions for the next one?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TamiJ, Apr 7, 2013.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

My laptop died this past week. I have had it since 2005 so it has lasted me a long time. I have always had HPs and love them. What do you all suggest? We looked at and HP Envy the other day at BestBuy and I really liked it. What do you all recommend? What laptop is worth buying right now?

3. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 7, 2013

Once you go Macbook, you never go back.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

If you can afford it, I will second a MacBook.

Windows 8 is T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E. I have a new laptop, but I use my old one 95% of the time.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

If you do get a laptop with Windows 8, there is a program that you can install that will allow you to set up and use previous versions of Windows. It's been a lifesaver!

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 7, 2013

Like you, my 2006 (Fujitsu) laptop went south on me last year. I went for a Samsung from Bestbuy (0% financing as well; paying it off little by little). I think any way you go is fine, as long as you stick to the major brands.

That being said, Sony, Apple and others I'm sure charge a premium for their devices. If you are "a typical user", ~$500 is your ballpark.

7. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Apr 7, 2013

Go MAC!!

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2013

I had an HP laptop for 5 years and then it died on me. After that I bought a Toshiba, which is what I currently use. My Toshiba has caused me way more problems than my HP ever did. It also has real crappy speakers, I always have to hook up other ones to hear anything.

But, it runs well and does what I need it to do. I'll never buy a Mac because I just can't imagine spending $1000 on a laptop that I use for internet surfing and word processing.

9. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 7, 2013

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

wow thanks you guys. I am here in Mexico where technology is so much more expensive. My DD really wants me to buy a Mac but they are super expensive. The cheapest here I have seen are $800 USD. I am probably going to spend about $1000 USD or slightly above. Thanks for the advise. I am in the investigative stage right now.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

looking at the US prices I am tempted to send my sister money and have her pick one up for me. They are twice the price here.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2013

Hands down 100% worth it. I recently had to buy a battery for my laptop and I bought one online, had it shipped to my dad, and he brought it down when he visited.

I would never buy technology here. Way too expensive.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

yeah most people I know do exactly that. I would just have to figure out who would bring it down. DH has family that comes periodically so that might be an option.

14. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Apr 7, 2013

I have a MacBook Pro, and I will never ever ever go back to Windows. The price tag is so worth it.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

I was just checking out the US price of one. It´s about half the price of a Mac here, so if I buy in the states I just might go that route.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 7, 2013

Can't a family member ship one to you?

I am the kiss of death for laptops. I have had 3 in the last 6 months. I broke two and one was just a mess from the get-go. That was a Toshiba. Ugh. I had an HP first, and now I have an Asus. It is quite fast and the batter lasts all day.

Everybody says Mac is the best, but I couldn't spend the money and I didn't want to learn something new (for shame). I hated Windows 8, but got used to it. It works better with a mouse than with a touchpad, but I like to sit on the couch with it, so I deal with it.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

Macs are $800 or any laptop is $800? Because $800 for a Mac is a steal!
    I bought a Samsung for $400. I'd love it if Windows 8 wasn't so awful.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

Macs are actually way easier to use! I have a Macbook for school, and when I get home, I get frustrated because I can't use the Mac shortcuts on my PC laptop. Never fear a Mac!

And, in the long run, they are usually cheaper. They last way longer than a PC does. My school laptop is 6 years old and it works perfectly! With warranties, I've spent about $1300 on laptops in the last 6 years, so I should have just bought a Mac!

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 7, 2013

I told myself I'd never get a Dell product again. I like HP if I can't try Mac.

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2013

I have a school issued MacBook and love it. I'm going to have to buy one for myself whenever we move next.

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

Mac is like 28,000 MXN so about $2,240 UsD. $800 USD is what I would pay for the equivalent of a $400 USD laptop if bought in the states.

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

The importation tax would be so high that if I were to ship it here I might as well buy it here. Every person coming into Mexico is allowed to bring in 1 laptop without being taxed so that would be my best bet.

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 7, 2013

Oh, I see. Can you tell I don't get around much? Haha. That is really tough. Do you ever come to the states to visit?

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

The last time I went was in 2010. I will be going back home in October because my sister is getting married. I don't want to wait until then. I think I will have my friend pick me up one this summer when she goes back home. Thankfully most teachers go back home during long vacations and the summer. I'm one of the few teachers who stay here.

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

I think I might go for the Mac... :)

27. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 7, 2013

It's definitely worth it. OSX has a much better user experience than Windows, especially now. Everything is very intuitive and it'll feel like second nature in no time. I don't know if you have Apple stores where you are, but the Apple Care is definitely great as well. :)

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

There is an Apple store close to the school where I teach.

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

I agree 10000000% with this.

My laptop has a virus on it, and I needed something besides Microsoft Works to create my resume/cover letters in. (Last year I used my school MacBook but all PDFs now have a time/date/name stamp on them.) I wasn't about to pay $100 and install Microsoft Office on a 4 year old laptop with a virus. So I bought the Samsung thinking that I'd get used to Windows 8. But I keep using my old laptop for internet, and my new one for word processing.
    I'm honestly thinking about selling the Samsung once I (hopefully) get a new job, and saving for a Mac until this one officially dies.

30. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 7, 2013

That's perfect! :) It's nice to be able to take it in for any problems. If you're interested in training, they also do that for free.

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 7, 2013

32. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 7, 2013

I use Pages on my Mac and love it, especially compared to Word. I use Google Drive as well if it's something simple. Open Office has come in handy a couple of times, but in general I just keep it around to double check formatting and such.

33. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2013

I used Google docs for a long time because I refuse to pay so much money for something you can do for free on Google! It was sometimes a bit of a pain, but for the most part it worked great. (It was especially frustrating because the internet is so slow here and goes out frequently. So I couldn't get any work done when it was out!)

One time, Google Docs totally saved my butt! I was going through doing grades and I realized I had deleted the exam grades a few days earlier! Well Google docs saves every single change you make and I was able to go back and retrieve my exam grades. Phew!

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2013

Oh my gosh something we agree on! :thumb:
    I knew there was more than being a math dude and from Long Island that I liked about you :lol::whistle::lol:
    I now have an iPad too trying to get used to it

35. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2013

Don't get a Toshiba!

36. teacherfelly

teacherfelly Rookie

Apr 9, 2013

I would never suggest a Mac. They're really not worth their price. Unless you're a professional video and audio editor. I may be a little bias because as a PC gamer, Macs do nothing for me. The type of laptop you get is really dependent on what uses you have for it. If it's just something for basic internet browsing, paper writing, etc. You really do not need to drop a ton of money into your laptop. However, if you're a heavy PC gamer or do computer engineering or use your laptop for lots of video editing and watching (anything more taxing on your comp), you're going to want to have a higher spending budget.
    Finally, the name on the laptop really doesn't matter. What you want to look at is the processor speed, hard drive, graphics card, etc.
    My laptop, which I basically used for some moderate gaming but mostly internet browsing and school related things, has an intel core i3 processor and that's good enough for me. Don't drop the money into an i5 or i7 unless you've got money to blow or you need that much speed.

Just my :2cents:

My brother-in-law is a computer engineer and he owns both a pc and a mac. The only reason he has for owning a macbook is to program apps (for ipads, iphones, etc). He uses his PC for just about everything else.

37. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 9, 2013

I feel a Mac is worth the user experience because I'm on mine a LOT. It's really just much more pleasant and intuitive. I've had both, and really would never get another PC, especially not a laptop. My BF, also in computer-related engineering (don't want to be too specific), has a PC he uses exclusively for gaming and a Macbook Pro he uses for everything else. I also find OSX to be more reliable and consistent than Windows. My mom is still using the Macbook I bought about seven years ago. It's still going strong with no issues. I only upgraded a while back because I wanted to. Previously, she struggled to learn to use the PC she had, and every time I had to clean it up for her, it was riddled with viruses and a bunch of other junk. So far, she's been able to avoid any of that on the Macbook and has learned to do basic things like check email and look up recipes. Less headaches for the both of us. It's just a different user experience, and for a lot of people, it's worth the price.

38. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2013

Yes I have this on my laptop. Or did, anyway! lol. I love OpenOffice.

39. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2013

I have been using Google Docs so much this year. That's actually where I do most of my planning so I am very comfortable with using it.

40. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 9, 2013

Would you explain Google docs to me? Many of my tutoring students used it to complete work with their home schools.

41. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 9, 2013

The easiest thing to do would just be to go check it out. They actually just changed the name to Google Drive, and it's at drive.google.com. You need a free google account (can also be used for gmail and any of their other services). Essentially, it's online storage for documents, presentations, etc. You can upload or create your work on drive.google.com, work on it online, and share with others. You can allow others to edit as well, so it's great for collaborating.