My kids are going to Wiki next year!?! (FOR FREE!!!)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BioAngel, Jun 18, 2009.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 18, 2009

Every summer my school provides us with a tech development that teaches us new tools to use in the classroom. We spent a lot of time discussing going 1:1 soon with laptops, so we'll need to learn how to use these tools ASAP!

One thing that I felt I should change for the upcoming year, was how my students could share what they were learning with one another in the grade. I teach 4 classes of one grade level, so they're all doing the same projects, however, they don't really get a chance to share what they're doing, what data are they collecting, what they are learning about, etc.

So we were taught about a free Wiki workspace that's online-- http://pbworks.com/ . What's really great about it is that you can (for free) set up student accounts with a real password for each of your students, which is great since I'm working with young students who may not yet have their own email address or their parents are worried about privacy issues.

Once you start a workspace, you get a specific URL that people can access the wiki from. Mine has been set to private, so that you'd have to sign in to see it and only people who I say can access it.

Here a screen shot of my Plant Unit wiki so far...
    (screen shot was taken by using Jing, another great tool)

[​IMG]

I'm glad I have a tool now that I know I can quickly teach my 5th graders and it can allow them to share more of their ideas so it's not 4 classes but a whole grade of learning. :thumb:

If you need help setting up your own workspace let me know--- I've logged in so many hours now that I'm an expert ;)

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

My students blogged last year, it was GREAT!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

Let us know how it goes!!! That looks like an awesome tool!

5. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 21, 2009

Wiki's are AWESOME to use so that students can share what they're learning about a topic. I've used them for several years now and am always impressed with the quality of work I get out of my students.

6. BioAngel

Jun 23, 2009

Would you happen to have any examples online that I could see of your students' wiki work? :thanks:

I might ask some teachers to critic how the wiki's are looking and offer suggestions once I get started with them in September.

I think this also might be really awesome to develop classroom rules, homework policies, a study guide, etc. And it's something you can refer the parents to as well. :)

7. massacremayhem

massacremayhem Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

It's really great when teachers take advantage of all that the Internet has to offer. Students these days are up to date with emerging technology, so it's really helpful when teachers try to integrate that technology in the classroom. Wikis are deffinitely a great idea!

8. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jun 23, 2009

I love the idea I am just not sure how to incorporate them into my lesson. I would like more ideas of how to incorporate them into my 3rd grade classroom.

9. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

Here are two examples that I did with my 5th graders.

http://twentytwentyvision.pbworks.com/
    This was a PBL that my kids did to figure out a way to solve a problem so that they would not have to face it as adults. They had to research their topic and then develop ways to reduce the problem from happening in the future. The students worked in groups of 3-4 students and had to do everything using technology.

http://solarsystemproject.pbworks.com/
    This was a project that my students did on the solar system where they had to research a particular planet independently and then post their information on the wiki so that their entire group would have a wealth of knowledge once research time was over. I had each student color code their information so I knew who added what. Students were also encouraged to edit (spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.) or add to existing informatoin, but where not allowed to delete anything someone else had written. Then they took that information and developed a brochure, flier, or postcard (in Publisher) to convince their family and friends to come to their planet. Then they created a diorama to show what their planet looked like.

10. BioAngel

Jun 23, 2009

They sound wonderful! Only problem is that yours is set to private so I can't view them since I'm not a member of your wiki's :)

Glad to see you're using the same type of wiki site I'll be using too! How did you like it? Did you notice any issues with the students using the wiki and editing?

11. BioAngel

Jun 23, 2009

I saw one teacher who taught I think either 1, 2, or 3 grade use it to make a "choose your own" story that the students designed. She gave them a starting prompt and then the students would each write a different wiki page that had a different twist in the plot. Then she'd give them another plot, they do a continuation of the story, etc. It was really creative to see the kids design their own story and I'm sure they had fun choosing their own story at the end.

You can see it here: http://terrythetennisball.wikispaces.com/home

Of course, you can use it to develop classroom rules with the kids, homework or reward policies, etc too.

12. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

Can you view them now? They are both set to public now.

pbwiki.com has been the easiest wiki site for my kids to use. They haven't had any problems with using it. I am actually going to look into possibly using wetpaint.com this year because I've heard that it's even easier to use than pbwiki and since I'll have 3rd graders this year, I want to use whatever will be easiest.

13. BioAngel

Jun 23, 2009

Yes now I can see them-- thank you! :)