My kids are chatty kathies!

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by ShellyAnn, Aug 28, 2007.

1. ShellyAnn

ShellyAnn New Member

Aug 28, 2007

My group is already too talkative. I have an incentive chart to keep them on good behavior. What are some ideas to keep kids from speaking out during lessons, lining up, transition, etc??????:woot:

3. breneem

breneem Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

Mine are very "social" already too, for the 2nd day of school. But I am just remindeing them that I call on those that raise their hands, talk about respect, constantly, and in line, I will turn them around, or walk the hallway twice, until they get the point. i will do this all week :)

4. Sgiles

Sgiles New Member

Aug 28, 2007

I use a lot of procedures. But they do like to talk. I also have red warning cards that I give out - after that they start losing extra recess time in 5 minute intervals - they were quieter today than the 1st day - and its only the second day of school!

5. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

I do a lot of praising for the kids that raise their hands and pointedly ignore ones who call out. It may drive you nuts to do it, but if they are not getting the attention through call outs, they will eventually come around. I have a one on one conversation with that specific student too-
    "Johnny, I notice you have a lot to share in our discussion. I would LOVE to hear what you have to say because it sounds like you have some interesting insights. Why do you think I am not calling on you? You don't know? Well, it is because since Be Respectful is one of our class rules, I call on third graders that are showing respectful behaviors. How do you think you can show respectful behavior during class discussions so that you are allowing your classmates to learn? Yes! Raising your hand is a great way. How about if you try that the next time we come together as a class, and I will wink at you if you are doing the right thing? Great Johnny! I am so excited that we had this talk and that you want to share your thoughts appropriately from now on..."
    Okay. And to be perfectly honest, I pull the shout outers forward so they sit closest to me. Then they don't have to call everyones head. I also do a lot of turning around and starting from our start point when we are walking too noisily. Even if we have to do it five times. Sometimes I just sit and wait quietly with my hands folded in my lap looking at the kids when they are lined up. I can sit for a very long time at first, but eventually the kids realize that I will not get up to lead them to the bus/music/p.e./lunch/assembly/library/computer lab until they are quiet. When they quiet down, I silently get up and start leading them out. After one or two times of this, they know to look to me to see if they are quiet enough!