My jump drive 'disappeared' from my computer today

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by sumnerfan, Sep 3, 2008.

1. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Sep 3, 2008

I never lock my door. I know it was there 7th period but went to the office and milled around watching the basketball players for a while and when I went back to my room to get my things it wasn't there.

It makes me glad I haven't planned ahead extensively. I'm at a loss for words.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 3, 2008

Yeah, it's so hard to put your trust on hold in the classroom. I taught middle school last year, after three years of elementary. Both my digital camera and phone were stolen in the first week. It makes you feel like trash, and so mad. I'm really, really sorry for you. Watch everything-that's one of the reasons I went back to elementary. My kids are in awe of all my stuff, and wouldn't dare touch my camera now!

4. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I have not had anything taken that is anywhere near as valuable as the things you guys have lost, but it is not infrequently that nice pens, "fancy" markers (an entire set of dry erase markers in different colors), paints, an entire box of stickers, and supplies of the like disappear.

Our classroom is always in transition, with 3 teachers sharing and a different pull out group in there every period, which means picking up and dropping off kids from and to their classroom every period, there is frequently no one in there.

The worst part about it is that you feel violated, and truly heartbroken that you cannot trust your kids (or the kids in the school in general, not knowing who it was).

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Sep 3, 2008

I fear that sort of thing. I have an LCD projector in my room that isn't attached to the ceiling, so each day when I leave I lock it in a file cabinet. Throughout the day when it's on and plugged in (Usually to my laptop) I just lock the door to my classroom anytime I'm not there.

Even if I simply leave to go to the bathrom, I lock the door. I worry too much about what you've all mentioned....

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2008

I had a Cell phone stolen, I prosecuted
    and the USB connector to my Wireless Mouse was stolen I think they thought it was a thumb drive, DUMB!

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2008

Do you have a copy backed up on your hard drive??

Major........:)

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2008

Some teachers I sub for leave very expensive cameras on their desk..... or in an unlocked drawer in their desk...... When I ask them about they say "nobody" would steal from them.....:eek::eek:

9. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 3, 2008

we're a very small school, and we sell "snacks" toour students, and turn the $$$ into the office....last year my $$$$ was stolen by someone and was never recovered...this year the office is picking it up every morning. So sorry for you...:(

10. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I had that happen two years ago. I learned very fast to make a weekly backup (i also bough a cheapy flash drive - like $10, they're getting cheaper and cheaper with bigger memories every year). One thing I did last year was to plug it into my USB port in the BACK of the computer (which was against the wall) so it was not as noticeable. It totally sucked - I had all me team's discipline records on it too, so it had to go through the principal as a FERPA thing.

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2008

what is a FERPA?

12. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Sep 3, 2008

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Basically that no one should have access to student information besisdes the student, parents, and relevant educational staff.

...and the reason students can no longer grade each other's papers :(

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 3, 2008

I leave NOTHING in my classroom. The kids have busted through locked doors and cabinets to get to stuff teachers *thought* they secured. One teacher last year had her wallet stolen out of her purse...while her purse was on her shoulder. I don't even leave personal stuff like advil or tampons in my classroom.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 3, 2008

I think teacher, by nature, are very trusting. We see our class/students as family, and it's so hard to think of them stealing from us. Until it happens to you, you just can imagine that a student would do that to you.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2008

That really stinks! :(

Our administrators require that we lock our rooms whenever we leave them. My door is actually permanently locked and totally inaccessible without a key--even during classes. (The students have to knock to get in, and I or another student will open the door for them.)

While I trust most of my students, I don't and can't trust the general population of students. I have too many valuable items in my classroom, and it would just be too tempting for certain students if I made those items easier to access.

A couple of years ago we had a rash of stolen LCD projectors. I think we lost half a dozen or so--and those things aren't cheap!

16. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Sep 3, 2008

No, I moved everything to the jump drive when I moved schools. I guess I have to start over with my Caesar unit. Too bad.

17. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Sep 3, 2008

Oh and the school is old and even when the doors are locked they aren't locked well. Anyone who wanted in could get in. I'm really hoping they put it in a drawer or something as a prank. I can't imagine I've made anyone that angry already.

18. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2008

Sorry about that........:(

19. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 5, 2008

that stinks. so sorry.

at least some of you HAVE doors. we have an open campus inside. We are in what look like giant cubicles. no doors, and they don't even go to the ceiling. I have no where to leave my stuff. I stopped taking my purse in and the rest of it, pens, books, etc. well...here is to hoping they stay put. before the kids were even back, my team teacher had posters and stamps stolen out of her room by ANOTHER TEACHER :eek: its not just kids unfortunatly.

20. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

One teacher we know had her purse stolen. She thought that was bad...until she realized that one of her "kids" used the keys to steal her car. No one ever found who it was.

21. fargo21

fargo21 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

my sister had just started teaching the first grade. She had only been there a year when her digital camera disappeared.... Her assistant had stolen it. lol

22. BeckyPie7

BeckyPie7 Companion

Sep 11, 2008

That's terrible! I had my keys stolen once but they were recovered after the students were threatened by the principle. I've also had money stolen and other items.
    It's such a horrible feeling. You feel like you pour so much into the students and they steal something from you. On top of that, many of us spend tons of money on our classrooms a year. We have to. No one else provides materials. To put that much into a student and then find out they stole from you. It's a horrible feeling.
    Now I lock everything up. I lock everything in my closet and I lock my door every time I leave. On top of that, I separated my keys so that my students can't get my keys. When my keys were stolen I was sure my car would be stolen as well. Thankfully, it wasn't. Many of the teachers here don't have a closet that locks. I'm very fortunate and I take advantage of that daily.

23. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

Sep 12, 2008

It's worth noting here that if you are confiscating ipods or cell phones, get a receipt. I worked for one high school as a sub for a while, and the ipod I brought to the office "disappeared" when the student went to pick it up. You can imagine who got blamed for it...

I run off a sheet of blank receipts at the beginning of every year and fill them out with the student name, ID, serial number, date, and the person who receives the item's signature. Don't take chances!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  24. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 12, 2008

That's a good idea! You can never be too careful.

25. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 14, 2008

Right now, I don't have a key to my room - or closet. The teacher who has hr and 2 periods at the beginning of the day does. On Friday, I had to leave my door unlocked because he forgot to come by to lock it at the end of the day.... So I brought in my file cabinet from home, which I can lock. I'm in that room from 4th period on, so I wanted to be able to lock up my purse and anything valuable. I'll tell you one thing, though: I'm not using my 2 drawer lockable cabinet for student's folders. If they get stolen, I'll go back to the admin and say...you didn't provide me with a closet key, a key to lock your file cabinet, or to lock the door. I'll do what I can, but having my purse and valuables locked up is important to me. And I thought it would be nice to offer the second drawer to the other teacher - he sometimes brings in his laptop.

26. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 14, 2008

Almost forgot. Put your jump drive on a lanyard with your keys. Don't leave it anywhere. If you use the jump drive, remove it when you walk away.

27. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

Better yet, back up everything!

I never just "transfer files". I have one folder on my home machine and another folder on my classroom machine. If I ever leave either one, I save my work on the machine itself, and then overwrite the entire folder on the USB drive. They're mostly text files, and the whole process is just a minute anyway. If you use audio or video, just put that in another separate folder.

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 16, 2008

Glad to see you back on the boards, senseijoao!

29. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

Sep 17, 2008

Hey Jem!

30. historychic84

historychic84 Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

I think to solve some problems for files is to buy two external hard drives to back up everything. One for school just in case if the server crashes and the second for at home. Anything can happen.

31. dragonlady1182

dragonlady1182 Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

I teach in a small high school with cameras in the room but I actually have to take everything off my desk-including the tape and stapler-in order to make sure it's all there the next time I look.