My job is student teaching........

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ryhoyarbie, Aug 25, 2009.

1. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 25, 2009

Since there are very little jobs, I will be student teaching 8th grade social studies at my old middle school I went to as a little bratty kid! I got the information today and start Monday and will be there until early December.

Good news is I subbed there twice last year and know three teachers who graduated with me from high school. Not to mention my old band teacher and 7th grade math teacher are still there and the main principal is still there. Plus I know two people that work in the office that still live on my old street where I grew up as a kid. And since I was a teacher's aide back in the spring of 2006 at one of the elementary schools that feeds into the middle school where I'm student teaching at, I'll know some of the students there too. They already recognized me last school year when I subbed.

This shouldn't be too difficult, maybe......

3. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 25, 2009

I'll be wearing a suit and tie when I start Monday too!

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 26, 2009

Good luck! I loved ST!!! I learned so much!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2009

Good luck!

6. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 26, 2009

Good Luck, I wish we had that option.

7. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Aug 26, 2009

are you getting paid to student teach?

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

Forgive me but I am a bit confused. Don't you have to student teach before earning your credential anyway?
    Do you already have your credential?

9. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Aug 26, 2009

We only student taught while still in school... is there places were it can be like a job?

10. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

No I am not getting paid to student teach.

I either had the option of student teaching or get a teaching job. I did try to get a teaching position but there weren't enough around. So I'll student teach for one semester, finish up with some post teaching classes, take my ppr exam, and be done with everything by mid December.

11. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

Sorry, I am still confused. How could you get a teaching job without finishing your credential? Normally student teaching is the last phase of the credential program and then one starts looking for teaching jobs. However, I am glad you found a student teaching placement and congrats on being almost done with your credential program.

12. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Aug 26, 2009

oh well student teaching is a great thing to do... I really learned the most from that and not the classes (we had to do a year as part of the program). If I didn't have a couple little ones I'd like to student teach too, at least you get some experience out of that! have fun!

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2009

In Texas, some ACP (alternative cert. program) candidates get the choice of student teaching or finding a ft teaching position as an internship.

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 26, 2009

Generally, one cannot get a teaching job without being properly certified.However, in some states this can happen. At least in the past, but I have only heard of such things happening with career changers entering the field and in this case it would be entering into shortage fields. But not now. I don't know how seriously any candidate would be taken if they were not completely certified and just applied for positions these days....:2cents:

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2009

In Texas, there's a tremendous amount of ACP candidates that are attempting to become elementary teachers and teachers in other subject areas in a non-shortage area. Some districts take them seriously and some don't. At my new teacher orientation last year, I sat at a table with four other girls and as we all started chatting, I was the only one that had a degree in education, completed student teaching, and was fully certified. I asked about what their field experiences were like that prepared them for the classroom and many of them said their programs did not provide field experience. Eek.

16. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

My alternative teaching program gives you the option of either student teaching or doing a year of actual teaching (and getting paid a regular salary) and completing your final teaching classes and taking the ppr exam.

17. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

Unlike those girls who did not get any experience, I did substitute last year with two school districts with all grade levels, subbing four or fives days a week. I even did orientations last week for the two school districts I subbed at to get in the system even though I told them I would be student teaching. Subbing did help me a lot more than just sitting in a classroom and hearing a veteran teacher talk about classroom management and so on. It showed me how to run a classroom and what I would do and wouldn't do.

If the economy were a lot better, there would have been a lot more alternative certified teachers hired. I have heard there have been some good alternative certified teachers compared to those who were fully certified and did student teaching. I subbed several classes in different schools where the classroom management was horrible and the teachers running the classrooms were fully certified. I don't know how those teachers would be able to get their students to perform well when there was so much chaos.

18. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2009

I wasn't directing that towards you, ryhoyarbie. I don't know anything about your experiences so I wouldn't have said that directed towards you. It seems with ACP, it's up to the individual entirely to gain experience prior to earning certification, which I'm sure some just think it's not a requirement, so they don't have to do it, but they don't realize what a diservice they're doing to themselves. That's kind of alarming. I agree that there are some ACP candidates that are hired over fully certified teachers and that sometimes, they're a better fit or they have different strengths. I think it's important to remember that regardless of how you got there, we're all on an even playing field, so to speak, but we all still have different strengths and weaknesses regardless of whether we have a degree in education, started out fully certified or we have a degree in something else and had to earn certification with the first year.

19. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Aug 26, 2009

I am ACP and I never did student teaching. My teaching position this year counts as my student teaching/internship this year.

I was an aide this last year at a middle school, and I took lots of education classes in college. Neither of them prepared me for the classroom I'm in right now. You just have to go do it.

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2009

I was lucky enough to be hired as an intern teacher while I did my credential courses. I had my bachelors degree and had to pass the cbest and cset tests, and then enroll in the credential courses. I taught two years as an intern teacher with full teacher pay while earning my credential. I just got my credential in March. This year NO districts in my area are hiring interns, and they have canceled their intern programs. There is no longer a need for it. I was lucky. :)

21. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 26, 2009

Wow.

Things are sure different in Illinois. That would never have BEEN an option. And to student teach..though you student teach for a semester...you have a whole year of university planning that you have to do first. They have to work with you, find you a district to do clinical experience, do 30 hours there the semester before, go for your certification testing - if you don't pass in time you have to start over, and then you are given your student teaching assignment.

Up here... it would be impossible to just decide to student teach and then DO it. It takes WAY too long to build up to it.

22. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

In Wisconsin, you can get hired before having your license and then you are issued an emergency license and are expected to obtain your actual license in 2 years, I believe. I was in a post-baccalaureate program to get my license, and most of my classmates were already teaching.

If you are already in the classroom, that is considered your student teaching in these programs.

23. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

No harm done. At least this isn't like a sports forum or a movie forum where some might say something mean like "you're not going to get a teaching job because you're not certified and worthless" or something craptastic that is similar in that tone!

But I agree that getting experience is the key, but that might not get you a job since there have been a few people here that have posted that they've been looking for a teaching job for several years!:unsure::help: Someone needs to hire those people, fast and pronto.

24. txnewbie

txnewbie Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

the ACP program in Lonestar College-Houston area is different. You have two options to get your teaching cert.
    1. you will get a 1 year internship with any district or private school then you get your teaching cert.
    2. you do non-paid student teaching for 12 weeks then you get your teaching cert.
    Each option will cost you around 800-1000 to start.