My interview today

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by skittleroo, Apr 8, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2009

just got done with interview

I feel like it went well, but now not sure I even want the job. It's a great district, but big and very stringent on rules. I work for a smaller district where things are much more laid back. But, on the other hand, it would be a great district to work for.

Not sure if I'll get the job or not. The AP LOVED me, but the principal was almost emotionless. I also love themes and I could tell princ didn't care for them because the district has its own online curriculum.

They said I should know by Monday, so......:confused:
    Of course I want them to want to hire me, but another part of me wants not to get the job so I don't have to make such a hard decision between this school and my school.

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 8, 2009

Do you have a job at your school for next year? If so, it sure sounds like that's where you'd rather be than this place. I know the feeling you're having. I had an interview last year that I'm glad I didn't get an offer from because I knew it wasn't an ideal position, but if it was that vs. no job I would have taken it.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2009

Oh yes I have a good job. lots of respect atleast from school admin (not always form central admin), freedom in what I teach, great group of teachers in my clusters.

But it is competitive yet not alot of great advancement opportunities.

This other district is well respected. I'd be going from an academically acceptable school to recognized/exemplary school. I just would be much more limited in what I teach.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 8, 2009

Well personally I wouldn't leave the current school for this one. It just doesn't sound like a good fit. Once you've had the freedom with your curriculum I could see it being very frustrating to not have that anymore.

On the other hand I have no desire to advance in any way within teaching as far as going into administration being a lead teacher or department head, or whatever advancement might be. I'm perfectly happy teaching and continuing with that so I guess I am in a different place than you as far as the reason you're even looking for another job. I know that's not the case for everybody though, so I can certainly understand how you're looking for something else.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do if they do end up offering you the job.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2009

I don't think I'd take it if offered...it doesn't sound like its really what you want. But make a list of pros and cons to help you. Good luck!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2009

Don't take it if it's not what you want.

With that having been said....

I wouldn't pass up this job unless you had a firm offer, in writing, from another district.

Also, I'm not sure why it's a problem that this district has strict rules. Rules about what? Districts should have rules, and they should enforce them.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2009

rules about what you can hang in room - very cookie cutter. I like to have kids make products to write about. THere was none of that, just charts, charts, charts. I love doing charts with my kids but that is not all.

I am not trying to make it soundbad. It's just different and I guess change scares me. I know they have to be doing something right. It isjust outside my comfort area. That is why I would be torn - becuase sometimes being outside your comfort area is good.

But your right, I may not even get the job so I'll wait to worry.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2009

jeannie-you wouldn't be interviewing where I used to work are you?

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2009

where is that?

I GOT the job. I really don't know what to do..:unsure::unsure:

11. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 9, 2009

Have you been able to meet any of the staff at the new site? Do you know if you would work well with them? Is there a significant difference in your commute time or your pay?

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2009

I've met ap, counselor (both of who loved me at the job fair). they were the ones that pushed me to meet principal. Receptionists and secretary seemed nice. After school got out all the teachers that were there were tutoring with kids. So, I didn't meet any.

It is more pay (about 3000-3500 per year) but a longer drive. It currently takes me 25 minutes (if that to get to work). It would be 45 minute drive.

The school is a more respected school but would definitely push me out of my comfort zone.

13. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Apr 9, 2009

Congrats on being offered the job.

I'm not sure an additional $3000 would make me want to leave, knowing that my job was secured in the present school.

What kind of advancement are you hoping to obtain? I know you said your current school wouldn't offer that. I'm thinking the cons are outweighing the pros. ;) But of course, it is your decision.

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 9, 2009

Congrats on the offer, although that does mean you now need to a make a decision! Definitely factor in the 45 minute drive into your decision. Anything over a half hour can definitely feel like a long drive. My drive is exactly 30 minutes and I know I would not want to add another 15 to it. Think about it, you'd be increasing your daily commute by over 50%. Maybe for you that's not a big deal, I know for me it would be.

Could you meet with the other teachers at the grade level you'd be teaching with before you make a decision? Or ask to spend a day, or a half day, at the school? I think it would be worth the personal day to go and check them out to see if you'd be a good fit or not.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 9, 2009

Wow JeannieM- congrats on the offer. Was this from one of the metroplex job fairs you went to?

Maybe it's not as cookie cutter as you think if you told them about all those themes you love and do and they still want to hire you.

For me it would be the drive. That would be the killer. I don't even drive 5 minutes.

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2009

Yeah the drive isn't the deal breaker. I have 6 kids so a little alone time is good. It's not through traffic.

Yes I got the job from a school at a job fair here in the metro area - Mesquite.

I'm sure I could learn alot at this district. They must be doing something right. So much to contemplated.

Th

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2009

Jeannie, I would make a pros and cons list of going to the new school and staying in your old school.

18. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2009

Congratulations on the job offer! Good luck making your decision!

19. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Apr 10, 2009

My drive is 5 minutes. It would be the drive for me,but I have my own kids to get ready in the morning also.Congrats on the offer though! Let us know your decision.

20. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2009

Yeah I have 6 kids of my own. But I lived away from metro area so schools around here don't pay enough. So the drive for me isn't bad - only 16 more miles than where I drive to now.

I actually think I finally made the decision to move. It's a hard decision to make, but I think it will be good for my career and good for learning.

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2009

I drive 45 minutes each way and I don't mind it at all. I like the alone time and time to unwind from a crazy day. Congrats on making a decision!

22. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2009

that is what I'm thinking leighball. I drive about 15-20 minutes now and I like relaxing listening to music and thinking about what I'd like to do the next day in class. Because I have 6 kids at home it's hard to do it at home.

I don't think I'll mind it since there won't be alot of city traffic because of where the school is located.

The biggest drawback for me is not being able to work with my very good friends (my cluster is super close). But I guess sometimes we have to do hard things to grow professionally.

23. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 12, 2009

If you want any information about Mesquite ISD and it's ins and outs, pm me. I went through Mesquite ISD and currently sub there. I know several principals that were either my teachers at one point or were principals when I went through the school district.

What was the school that hired you?

24. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Apr 12, 2009

Eh, I know how you feel.
    I am about to take over a class for a teacher on maternity leave and I was told I must write and cite the standards my lesson plans are addressing on the white board every day.
    The principal comes in to check the white boards in every class to make sure the standards are cited.
    It sort of cramps one's style.

25. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2009

this is my biggest concern. But the district does well on the TAKS and the school is recognized so I guess they must be doing something right?! ANyways, I got to look at it as a new learning experience.