My interview this morning

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Jul 10, 2014.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 10, 2014

I had a sub interview this morning in the #1 district in the county. No pressure, right!!?!

It was GREAT! Best interview I had all summer. She said she had about 20 questions but that she was only going to ask me a couple of them.
    Most of the interview turned into a conversation. About my experiences, me leaving my current job, location, her experiences, etc. It was a really nice conversation. =)

To top it off, she gave me great advice and said so many positive things about me. She said that she will recommend me to HR and that she will even send them an email asking them to consider me at future 1st round interviews for full-time positions (I was totally shocked by this. I think my chin hit the floor). She also talked about the good things I was doing with my current job (I've had this job for 4 years and my supervisor has never said anything positive to me...not even a "good job"....it was so nice to hear it from this principal)

She talked about what I should do as a sub that would help me earn a long-term position or even future full-time positions. She even said that I would be great at a new summer program they started this year (recommended me to do it next year). She made me fill so comfortable and made me feel that leaving my good paying job with benefits was a good thing since I have such a passion for teaching.

Well, I still have the goal of getting a full-time position but I'm really happy about what happened with this sub interview. I have a good feeling about this district. It's still only middle of July so something may pop up. If not, I'm totally happy with being a sub in this district. I can't stop smiling. I even took the rest of the week off from work. along with some others. I go back to work on Monday and I hope my terrible job doesn't ruin my joy. I still have another 1 1/2 months there! ah!

Here are the questions I remember from this morning:
    1. How do you plan lessons?
    2. How do you deal with a difficult student?
    3. How do you make sure students are learning?
    4. How do you differiate instruction?
    5. Tell me about a time that you helped another teacher/colleague.
    6. Why do you want to be in this district? (she didn't let me answer this because she went straight into a different conversation...lol)

Most of the time, she looked at my resume and talked about my experiences.

Have a great day everyone!!

3. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

I have a friend who went to a sub interview and they ended up calling her and offering her a teaching contract! She was floored. She thought she would sub for a year since she had just got her credential. I bet you will have a full time position soon! Good luck!

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2014

Awesome. Having an ally in HR who sees your potential can make a huge difference.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 10, 2014

Woohoo!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2014

What a great start to your new endeavor!

7. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

That's great news! Hopefully this will set you off on the right foot and you will land a full time position quickly!

8. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 10, 2014

That is awesome! Getting your foot in the door in the district you want is a great step for landing a full-time position. Best of luck to you!! :)

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2014

Trust me- subbing at the right place CAN open doors!

10. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 10, 2014

Great job! I am so happy for you! :)

11. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 10, 2014

Isn't the interview so much easier when it becomes a conversation with the person(s) you are talking to? I find it so hard when you have an interview and it becomes 1 sided. I had an interview a few weeks ago where the P was all about trying to make it a conversation, but the other 2 teachers on the panel were stiff and didn't add much. Needless to say, I didn't get the job- I think it is hugely important to be able to connect on a personality level with the panel and sometimes you just can't break that barrier!

I am so glad you had a great interview today!

12. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 11, 2014

Thank you everyone for the responses!! I'm so happy to post something positive!