My interchangable mini-office photos

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 4inteacher, Jul 27, 2009.

1. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

I've spent lots of time working on these and still have about half of the actual mini-offices to finish and a few more cards to laminate. I hope it'll be worth it!

This is my mini-office design in it's raw form. (The math background to the right is covered with a plastic page protector, and the whole thing is covered in contact paper.)

[​IMG]

Here it is pictured with cards that can be inserted into the pockets for aids in math, language, etc.

[​IMG]

Here you can see a full page insert can be used to cover the math page. I plan to have a full page of writing aids (transition words, beginning words, writing process, etc.) to insert here when needed instead of individual cards since these things don't really fluctuate with lessons.

[​IMG]

Cards are laminated and inserted into photo pockets from a photo album.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When it's time for tests and quizzes, all of the cards are removed, and a cover sheet is placed over the math wall to create a privacy space.

[​IMG]

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I would have never thought to make the removable card spots... Awesome! You have put a lot of work into it.

Mine are just plain blue folders. I have used them for 3 years now and they are going strong! My coworker did give me a hint about getting them to stay up. You need to practice getting it to stand up and actually cover desks with where you place the two folders together. There are various points that will not work (the folder will fall down, or will be open too wide).

Again, great job!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

Love it! I'm going to try to think of adaptations of this for my grade 7/8 English class next year.

5. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I love it. Did you just tear apart a photo album or did you buy something specific?

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

Great idea for adding the information! I might have to steal it--I have a set of the dividers already made in my classroom.

7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

Great job!!! Those rock!

8. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Thanks for the encouragement! I've been working my butt off getting them together this summer and my husband it tired of hearing about them, so it's fun to share with others!

2inspire: I just found some cheap photo albums and cut the pages out of them. I actually have a few different types of pages since they're from different albums (which is cramping my OCD style) but they all seemed to work one way or another.

If anyone is interested, here's my basic process for the pockets:

Glue down all the photo pages first. Cover the entire mini-office with clear contact paper. Using a box cutter, slice open the openings of the photo pages (tip: cut the openings a little shorter than the actual pages so you won't have contact paper hanging off the edges--found this out the hard way). Cut a small piece of contact paper (a little under an inch wide and a little less than the length of the opening). Pull up the insert flap that you just cute and put the piece of contact paper down underneath (behind) the opening flap covering the place that you cut. This will help the back of the photo page stay put and help the insert cards not get stuck in the cracks when kids are sliding them in and out. I hope that makes sense.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

What a great idea!! And the work you put into putting them together is definitely worth it!

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

Those are fantastic! I really like the idea of being able to switch out the information. Consider the idea stolen...thank you!

11. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I love this idea. I was thinking that I could not use mini offices because of testing, but you have a great solution.

12. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

bump for anyone who might be interested in making these this year

13. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Aug 24, 2010

Those look great. Thanks for sharing.

14. forkids

forkids Cohort

Aug 24, 2010

I just had a thought that you could also make them by putting sheet protectors on the folders and you could slide whoe sheets in and out. If you got the heavy duty protectors, they should hold up. Maybe you could just laminate the folders first and attach the sheet protectors? Hot glue them?, or some kind of glue?

15. forkids

forkids Cohort

Aug 24, 2010

Maybe you could tape them to the laminated folders on three sides with the clear packaging tape? I use that stuff for everything!