My indoor cats have fleas, and I'm freaking out!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by moonbeamsinajar, Oct 12, 2010.

1. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 12, 2010

On Sunday my daughter noticed a flea on one of our indoor only cats! I am totally horrified! They never had fleas before! I ran to the pet store and bought a product that goes on the back of their neck, then started vacuuming the carpets and furniture. I think I must have done about 10 loads of laundry - throw rugs, blankets, etc. I even threw away the vac bag when I was done. So I was feeling like I was getting things under control until.... we noticed the cat scratching tonight, and looked and found 2 more fleas! Help! I thought the product I put on the cat would have killed the fleas by now and I am not sure what I should do next. I haven't seen any little critters jumping around, and no one has any flea bites ...yet. What should I do?

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2010

Did you use the tube stuff on the back of their necks? If you have already treated them, don't add anything else to them. Get one of those little flea combs and comb through their fur. If you get any fleas on the comb, flush them down the toilet. Do this a couple times each day. You might notice little black specks. These are not fleas, just flea dirt from bites. Your vacuuming will help. Mine have a few fleas this time of year and I just use the flea comb until they die out.

4. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 12, 2010

Thanks, Grammy Teacher. You made me feel better. I just don't want to have an infestation in my house! I used a tube of stuff that goes on the back of their necks. What do you think is the best brand of spot treatment to use? I am not sure I got the best kind.

5. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 12, 2010

The worst part is that every time I feel an itch, I am afraid I have a bite! Kind of like when one of the students has head lice, and suddenly all the grown ups in the room are scratching their heads! :p

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 12, 2010

Frontline. From a vet.

Get Borax and sprinkle everywhere. Safe around pets. Then vacuum. It dries up flea eggs and larvae.
    Let it sit for a while. Then repeat.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 12, 2010

My DD took her cats to the vet yesterday. They had fleas so badly that she decided to take them in. She was told to vac every day for a few days, as the eggs willl hatch out for several days.

8. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 12, 2010

I have been doing that. The first night it took me 4 hours...I did all the sofas, chairs..etc. We have a big house, and lots of furniture and carpet. I hate to use spray, but I think I am going to use the kind for carpets and upholstery that kills the eggs and larvae too. And I will be using the vac everyday for a while.
    What did the vet do for the poor kitties?

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 12, 2010

No info here, but how did they suddenly get fleas if they're strictly indoors at all times? I have a strictly indoor dog that's only been outdoors when I occasionally walk him at my outdoor shopping mall. He's never had fleas or ticks in his life & I've never had to use any flea/tick meds.

I hope it gets better soon.

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 12, 2010

Fleas can come in on your clothes...yuck. Some areas have bad outbreaks during the year. :-/

11. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 12, 2010

Seriously, they have not been out of the house since the trip for a rabies shot last year. I have heard they can hop a ride in on people, so I guess that is what happened. They are both 9 years old, and this is the first time they ever had fleas!

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 13, 2010

I have 2 indoor cats and got a bad infestation this summer. They still return sometimes. The ONLY thing that has worked is Bayer Advantage. Frontline worked for a few days and then I would see them again.

13. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 13, 2010

So did you have to spray your carpets and furniture too, or was the Advantage enough?

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 13, 2010

I haven't had to treat my indoor cats yet. I always keep some Advantage on hand just in case, because it is true that anyone who has pets with fleas can bring them into the house, or you can. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Hugs to the kitties! :)

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 13, 2010

I didn't like the idea of using chemicals so I vacuumed a lot and washed everything I could.

16. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 13, 2010

I have never had to spray my carpets or furniture, although it has been years since we have had a flea problem. I vac everyday anyway, but was sure to vac all furniture, wash bedding, etc., just like you are. Be sure to throw the vac bag out tied in a bag to be safe.

17. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 13, 2010

I have been using the sweeper every day on the carpets, baseboard edges, and all the furniture. It takes forever! (But worth it if it solves the problesm ). I have also been throwing the vac bag away after I vac. This morning we sprayed one room, just did another tonight. Tomorrow the last one downstairs. The cats are not allowed upstairs so I am praying that area of the house is okay. Going tonight for the flea comb like Grammy Teacher recommended. Also will get me out of the house, it smells awful in the room we just did. Gosh I hate this.

18. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 13, 2010

I am with you Moonbeam! It is just like when the kids get head lice I use my flea comb regularly on the cats just to keep a check on things. HUGS