My husband thinks I'm crazy...

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Oddity123, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Oddity123

Oddity123 Rookie

Jun 13, 2005

I graduated may of 04, and we got married in july. We both got job offers a week before the wedding, on opposite sides of the state, and took his (if you're living on one salary, take the one that's bigger by 18K). What with the honeymoon, apt hunting and move, it was Aug before I started looking around here again. The last year's been rough, away from all family and friends, working at home as an item writer, and looking for a job. I've subbed in our district a whopping 4 days. I've sent out replies to about 20 postings, and another 10 or so unsolicited applications. Last year after we moved, I had one interview. I've only had one so far this spring (I didn't get the job). I have excellent qualifications (top of my class, recognition of excellence in like everything, willing to coach/advise anything, etc) but feel like every letter I sent out is getting ignored. How do you get a job if you can't even get an interview? And I've already done every "tip" out there. Hubby thinks I'm nuts cause the pressure and lonliness (no friends in cleveland) are getting to me, and I'm a little flaky (read: cry for no reason) these days. I find myself checking all my "sites" several times a day for job postings. On top of that, I don't even know when I should start worrying, it's not like my friends are in the same boat like we were in our last year of school. It's even worse this time around too since if I don't teach this year my cert. expires and I'll have to take more classes. Am I nuts to be this worried yet? Any advice on how to be less so?

3. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2005

It is so stressful trying to find a job, especially if you are unfamiliar with the schools in your new area. It is also very hard to get hired in districts that don't know you. With that being said, you can find a job and you will find the one that is right for you! Be patient and stay positive. My advice would be to start visiting schools and administration offices. Take a complete packet of information (resume, cover letter, transcripts, letters of reccomendation, lesson plan, management plan, maybe even pictures of lessons taught). Be persistent with the schools but not pushy. Find out who does the hiring. In some districts the principals hire from a list of Superintenent selected candidates, other districts the Superintendents the one that does everything. Whatever you do, make sure to put yourself out there. The districts need to be able to see you and hear about you. Good luck, and try to keep a positive attitude it will help you through the journey!

4. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jun 13, 2005

I moved from South Carolina to Miami Beach about a year and a half ago, and knew no one except for my husband and 2 boys. Last year I got job as a para at the school where my son started Kindergarten. I got to know many of the teachers and the administration. I received my certification in January of this year and got hired at that school for upcoming school year as a Kindergarten teacher. If finances will allow, maybe you could find a non-instructional job in a school and get to know the staff. That way they can see how wonderful you are and hire you to teach.

Good luck and try to stay positive!!!

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jun 13, 2005

It's completely normal to be totally preoccupied with finding a job, especially when you just invested everything you have (time, money, family, hopes and dreams, etc...) into an education for that job. You are me right now, checking the websites several times a day, getting depressed at everything turning into a dead end, etc... I share your uncertainty as it's my reality now too, but one thing I am sure of (and I remember it best on my more positive days) is that everything always works out in the end and things tend to happen the way they do for a reason that you sometimes don't figure out until much later. People on this site have given me encouragement about the very same thing, so now I guess it's my turn - keep your head up and stay courageous, it will work out, it has to. :love:

6. Oddity123

Oddity123 Rookie

Jun 13, 2005

Wish I could just go volunteer. I'm working at home right now, and need to do so, plus school is out. It doesn't help that those I try to talk to about it (MIL, hubby, friends) have no idea about any of it and end up frusterating me more when they try to "help". My MIL especially, keeps telling me to just show up and basically demand an interview, even in schools where there's no postings. I keep trying to explain how beaurucaratic (sp?) the system is, to no avail. It doesn't work quite like the business world, where if they really like you they can just find a place for you.... BTW, best college friend just announced she's not going back to teaching next year... She got a job teaching AP lit (we're both HS English) at her old high school right off the bat, told her I wish I could take over for her! Just have to be patient, I know, but every time a loved one tells me to "stop worrying" or "relax" it just makes me want to bite his/her head off!

7. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jun 13, 2005

As a paraprofessional (or teacher assistant) you do make a small salary and with me it was part-time (25 hours a week). I didn't make a lot of money but feel the experience was invaluable, as it also help me land a teaching position. I know your anxiety level must be through the roof, so it is hard to be patient and relax.

I hope everything works out for you soon.

8. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jun 13, 2005

Oddity, let me assure you...Northeast Ohio BITES right now in most job markets.....especially teaching..im feeling a LOT of the things you describe. Not only are there TONS of new grads out there hoping to fill hte ever-so-rare vacancies, there are probably THOUSANDS of laid off experienced teachers too.....Good luck to you!

9. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2005

Could you tutor? Here, people write up advertisements and post them in the library, grocery stores, etc. I paid a girl 25.00 an hour.
    It's something,and it would get you out of the house( unless you wanted them to come to you.). You sound like you're developing depression from the isolation.

10. wolfster

wolfster Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

Oddity,

I understand that pain of not being employed - several years ago I was briefly unemployed (2 to 3 months) - that was the most depressing, stressful point of my life (I imagined that I would be living in a box, never get a job, etc.)

Just a couple ideas, I don't know if any of these are feasible for you-

You mentioned that in the first year, you followed your husband for his new job with the higher salary. What if the two of you reach a compromise for both your careers? For example, now that he has more experience, perhaps he can obtain employment in more places. What if you applied to everyplace in Ohio (even out of state, but I don't know how public schools work with certification), if you get job offers, you can accept one. Now it will be your husbands turn to find a job in that new town or place. Both careers are important, but you just sacraficed a year...can he let you try next year?

The other idea (I know you need to work at home ) - can you volunteer just a few hours a week somewhere (2 hours max?) Think of what things are important to you (perhaps animals, literacy, who knows).

Several years ago I also volunteered just an hour a week tutoring literacy/and then somewhere else - ESL. It really helps minimize stress, you step outside yourself. If you want to meet other people, this is also helpful. For example, you could - volunteer at an animal shelter. I have heard of some people being offered jobs this way - but don't go with that goal. Just get out of the house, meet new people, and for an hour or two a week, think about something different.

Good luck.