My house got broken into :(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, May 30, 2013.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 30, 2013

Yesterday when I came home at 2:30 pm, came inside, found my house as if a tornado hit it! Everything was looked over, cabinets open, drawers dumped out,even in the bathroom!
    They took:3 laptops, a new flat screen smart tv, a camcorder, a small iPod, a DVD player, $15 cash. They almost took my sewing machine, packed it up in its case, but left it behind.
    This hasn't happened to me in 18 years. Made a police report, the cop told me to ask my students (the ones that like me), they'll find out who did it. He said my school is a good one to work at for this kind of things. I know my students have nothing to do with it, but they will know if someone is selling stuff, or even just hear about breaking in. I have at least 4-5 students who live on my block.

It was very upsetting, but at least my daughter and I are ok. It could've been worse. Went to school today, I thought could handle it, but as soon as I walked into the office, a few students were sting there and one said "oh God" with a disgusted voice. She does this all the time, and then says she's just kidding. I gave her a dirty look, went into my Ps office, but by the time I got there! I was in tears and said that I couldn't do this today. She totally understood, so I left lesson plans and came home.
    I didn't want to break down and cry in front of my students,all they would remember that they made me cry, but not why.
    I have no laptop, so she said to bring home my iPad. That was sweet. So I'm researching alarm companies, checking Craigslist to see if anything pops up for sale.
    Other than that, I'm still upset. There were things on my laptop that I can not replace. :(

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 30, 2013

I'm so sorry to hear this! :( I hope they catch the people responsible.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 30, 2013

I am so sorry; it feels like such a violation. I am glad your principal was so supportive.

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 30, 2013

Sorry for your loss. :(

Hope you have a good homeowner's policy.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 30, 2013

Linguist, my sympathies.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 30, 2013

I feel so violated. They didn't damage anything though, except my back gate, because they pushed it into the wrong direction. I know they were looking for cash, jewelry and drugs, otherwise they would not have looked through all my stuff in the bathroom (drugs) and elsewhere.
    One thing I learned though: the best place to hide cash is in books. They didn't look through any of them.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 30, 2013

I'm renting and I have no renter's insurance :(

9. bison

bison Habitué

May 30, 2013

I'm so sorry, it must be very traumatic. :( I hope you're able to recover some of your stuff. I know sometimes it can turn up on Craigslist if you keep your eye out.

10. bison

bison Habitué

May 30, 2013

Oh dear. Perhaps we should put out a PSA about renter's insurance here on the boards. It's very cheap and SO worth it. I live in a city where it's a must. I think we pay something like $10-15 a month and it includes earthquake and theft coverage. BF pays this particular bill so I can't remember exactly, but it's low cost.

Edit: He says $9/month.

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 30, 2013

My renter's insurance is added on to my car insurance, and I think it's even cheaper than what Bison said...

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 30, 2013

After assessing the situation it's not as bad as if my car was stolen for example. I'd have to pay $40-50 / day for a car rental and then trying to buy another one with my bad credit and limited funds :(
    Now I really only have to replace 1 laptop for now, 1 later, a tv and dvd player later and that's it. I can live without my camcorder, iPod and my daughter will be ok without her wii.
    But I am getting renter's insurance and an alarm, probably by ADT. That's the only one I've seen advertised in this area that seems any good.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 30, 2013

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry! I couldn't imagine being broken into.

I don't know if you rent a home or apt...oh, I guess a house by the title of your thread, but my apt complex makes it mandatory for us to get renter's insurance.

14. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 30, 2013

I am sorry that happened to you. Check pawn shops too ...do you have pictures of your items maybe that can help you too somehow...

I hope good things come your way.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 30, 2013

My agency had an on campus office. One summer we were broken into 5 times in 3 months. When a computer got stolen, I asked a few students, and found out who took it. Luckily, we were covered under the school insurance. We also lost one building to an arsonist. I never want to experience a fire again.

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 31, 2013

I don't have any serial numbers, but if i saw any of the 3 laptops i would recognize them and could prove it that they're mine. The tv i would recognize, but could not "pick it out of a line up" i really just want my laptop back with the info on it, pictures, files, music, etc.

Right now i really don't have the money to replace any of it, i have to spend close to $3200 for our trip to Europe, and the more i wait the more expensive it will get. So i will bring home my iPad and laptop from school for the summer, it seems that my P will be ok with it, since she told me to bring home the iPad. I will have my keys and be able to go to school on weekdays so i can always take them back.

17. bros

bros Phenom

May 31, 2013

Just so you know, if you get an alarm, remove all signage and stickers stating that you have an alarm system.

My mom (who works at the town court) has said many times that pretty much the only robberies that occur in my small town are people who have the signs out on their lawn saying they have x alarm company, because they have a response window for each area, and burglars tend to know the response time for each alarm company.

18. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 31, 2013

So very sorry to hear this happened.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 31, 2013

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry. I know how this feels. My house was robbed on Monday. Your sense of security is shattered. What a horrible thing. Hugs and orayers your way. I am so, so sorry.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 31, 2013

And nobody in the neighborhood saw anything?

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 31, 2013

No one saw anything because this was during the day, everyone was at work. I was told most of the burglaries happen during the day because most people are gone, no one is home and no neighbors are around either.

22. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2013

Sometimes break ins are done by someone who has been scouting your place for a while; knows when you leave and come back. My take on it; Could it have been pulled by someone; that anyone who dislikes you; gave the info to?
    I hope you will be able to recover your stuff, and put the idiots who pulled the job, away for a long time.
    Rebel1

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

Yep. That was when our house was broken into. However our neighbors had been home, but still they didn't see anything. It's so frustrating. My mom and dad always used to say there's nothing worse than thieves and liars and they were so right.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

Well, i'm sure we were watched for awhile, because they knew that we leave the house at 7:30 and never come back before 2:30 pm. But we just moved to this town 2 months ago, hardly know anyone and definitely don't know anyone who should dislike us.
    My house doesn't even look like we have expensive stuff. From the outside it's actually a little run down, it needs to be painted, it's not a new house, and looks small, but the inside is nice, because the landlord fixed it up real well. And i haven't had anyone in my house.

I don't know if it was random, or if we were targeted because we just moved in and they started watching us.

I have absolutely no money to replace any of the stuff. I just paid for our airline tickets to Hungary, if i waited longer, the price would have kept going up. Couldn't wait until i get paid in 30 days. So i will have enough money just pay my bills and food,even that, barely. I'm gonna have to try to find a way to pay for the alarm.
    So right now i'm stressing about money in addition :(.

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

That really sucks. I am so sorry. Our landlord is extending our fencing and making the windows more secure, plus many homes will put up cement on the top side of the roof with broken glass to keep people out. I know this will not protect us 100% but it will make me feel better. My p told me her house has been broken into 3 times. She finally put up an electric fence. Can you do anything in the summer for extra money? I don't know if that will be possible since you are going to Hungary.

26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

I might be able to pick up more subbing days in June. I could have worked 3 more days but i already committed to the dates having the trip in mind. So i'm sure my P got people for them. I can always sell things on Ebay. In this situation i usually go in survival mode and start looking at every dollar i spend. It looks like we won't be going anywhere, or do anything, in a town where there is nothing to do. We don't even have the beach like we used to, that was free to go to :)

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

Well that's good. My P asked me to teach summer school which is only two weeks but is extra money so I am glad I said yes. That was perfect timing.

28. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

My landlord won't do anything. I texted her right away, she never got back to me. I mentioned in my text that we couldn't lock the back gate, because there was no latch to lock it on, so she probably thought i wanted to blame them, or ask for money, etc. the next day i called her, she answered. I just wanted her to know, and that i need her husband to fix the gate because it's broken and i could barely keep it upright, and to put a latch on so i can lock it. She was nice then, but i think only because she could hear that i wasn't trying to ask for other things.

29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

As the Landlord I would think they should be helping to make the house safer. I had actually never seen our landlord respond so quickly. My husband had left a message with the lan,ord's sister and then he showed up in the afternoln to measure around the house plus our wondows. Having said that, he still hasn't said when they will start the work, but I do think there is some obligation there. Are you feeling any better about it all? My home was robbed on Monday and it too me several days to calm down and get back into a better state of mind.

30. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

Yes, i'm more "over" it. I would just really want my laptop back with the information on it. Because i won't have money to replace things, i'm going to bring home my school laptop. I need to prepare for the next school year, which means saving things on a flash drive, and apparently you can't do that on an ipad. At least we still have 1 tv, Internet and satellite tv connection.
    My students were very upset, especially the ones who live in this neighborhood. I'm going to place my faith in them that they will hear something, and get me my stuff back. I think it is a better chance than the cops doing it. My students said they will ask around if anyone is selling anything, because most likely these will be sold on the street.

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

That's good. I hope your things do show up. I can't believe how much they took. As for my things, I have no faith they will ever show up. The cops just don't do a good job and many of them are corrupt. That's what makes it so hard here. The system itself is so broken that you don't even have them on your side. Supposedly that has improved since the lastmpresident but cops still ask my hubby for money when they pull him over (we always get pulled over because of our CA plates)' and now the newpresident, from what I understand, is corrupt.

32. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

Oh, that's horrible, the worst is when the cops are corrupt. These cops will do their job, but i know a burglary is not as high on the priority list as assault, kidnap or murder, or rape, etc.

By the way the student who made the comment when i walked in the office apologized. She is a handful. She has had a hard life, so i understand, but every day, it's too much.
    I guess she heard what happened, and felt bad. Even gave me a hug. Later on when we were just talking with a few students, she announced that she tried to make me quit, but she's done now. I asked "wow, you finally gave up?" She said yes :)

33. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

After 10 days, I am just now somehow moving on. I haven't heard anything, and I haven't gotten anything back. It doesn't seem that I ever will :( I'm still sad over all the data and pictures on my laptop, but as time goes on, I guess I am starting to forget about it (can't do anything else)
    I got my alarm system installed today, I think that was the biggest help + time.
    But I have changed since the break in. I used to watch Law and Order SVU and always felt that nothing like those crimes could ever happen to me. Since then I got a little more paranoid as I was watching it. I haven't truly felt happy since then. School is over, I have nothing but time to do whatever I want, and I feel like they took something from me, I guess it's my peace of mind.
    I think I'm still feeling it because anytime I'm in my bedroom I'm reminded by the empty space of my tv. Once I buy a new tv (probably in 2 months) and a new laptop (about the same time) it will all seem like it never happened.

But for now, I do feel better.

34. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 15, 2013

I think I know who broke into my house.
    My neighbors told me yesterday that they know who it is, but they can't do anything, because he's locked up. They said he got locked up very shortly after my house was broken into.
    I wasn't very happy though, that they didn't tell me.

Today I ran into a student of mine who lives on my street. I see him all the time, we have a good relationship. One of the neighbors is actually his dad. I asked him, he told me the same thing, he actually said he knew this a week before his dad even heard.
    I was pretty upset because he didn't tell me, I thought that he wouldn't hold this information back.
    Anyways, this is what I found out (let's assume it's true). He gave me the guy's first name, doesn't know last name, supposedly. He said he's about 30.This guy's bother in-law was the other person with him, gave me his first name, and said he lives in the nearby bigger city.

After that I did a search and found this:
    - searched my city's jail's data base with first name only. Found 2 guys getting arrested within a week of my break in. One guy is 29, the other is 50 something. My guess is on the first guy, he got arrested 2 days after, he was rearrested for something (some of the info I couldn't see because his mugshot was covering it). My student also said he was already on probation, so that makes sense.

Then I did a search on a website where you can get more info on people, and found out this guy lives 1 street over!!! His backyard is separated by an alley from my backyard.

Could this be a coincidence? If the 1st name really is true, then I think all the evidence points to him. I left a message for the officer on this case to call me because I have more info, but haven't heard anything yet.

This guy is supposed to be released on the 22nd!

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2013

Try not to be too upset about your student not telling...it's scary stuff and probably puts him at risk. Good detective work, though. I wonder if the police can and will use it.