My heart smiled...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Aug 9, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2013

I haven't gotten my "official" roster yet (school doesn't start until MONDAY!!!), but I have the list, and I'm very happy with it. I'm even happier because of a couple of things I heard:

• (from a coworker in another grade) "her mom told the P that she would take her to another school if she wasn't in your class" (confirmed by a member of admin)
    • (from a parent upon learning her son is in my class) "Oh, thank God!"
    • (from another parent, same situation) "When I told him he was in your class, he couldn't stop smiling!"

I'm not a braggart, and I rarely "blow my own horn," so to speak, but there are days when it just feels GOOD to be a teacher! I love my school! :love:

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 9, 2013

Grats.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2013

That's a great way to start off with a class! Enjoy.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2013

Hope you have a great year!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 9, 2013

So nice when you are appreciated! :wub:

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 9, 2013

How great :).

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2013

So glad to hear that you are so highly appreciated.

Also, just need to say that I love the title of this thread!

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 9, 2013

Yay!! Good news

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2013

It's not been the greatest week (think I'm having gall bladder issues), so this was especially sweet!

11. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 10, 2013

Every compliment goes a long way to lift your spirits! I can def appreciate your excitement! Here's to a great year for everyone!

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

How nice!

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2013

Congrats. I too smiled when I got my list. We aren't supposed to have parent requests but all three kids who I wanted in my class I have. I could see maybe one making it but all three without outside influence. Naaaa. So right now 1/4 of my class is parents who "love" me. Yeaaaaaaa!!!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2013

Congrats! Things like this always give an extra boost!

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2013

That´s so great! You are a wonderful teacher, and I am glad they appreciate you.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

Hold tight to those compliments to get you through the tougher days. It's so nice to be valued!

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

That is awesome!

I'm the new teacher, so I had a parent ask me if I was a sub, and another tell me she petitioned for the last week to have her son in another class but was resigned to the fact that he'd have me.

Enjoy your compliments! :)

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 11, 2013

The love from kids (and their parents) is what keeps us coming back, right?

I saved a poem from one of my lovely third graders last year. It made me cry and still does.

With everything that is going on in education, really, we'd probably all find other careers without the LOVE!

19. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 11, 2013

She will soon change her tune. I am an experienced classroom teacher but have done some subbing after having my family. Last year, some parents were disappointed that the regular teacher had decided to take leave and that the kids would have a sub. But when it was time for her to come back, they didn't want me to leave! These same parents were teary-eyed when I left.

They just have to get to know you. It'll all be good. :hugs:

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2013

Jem - you are a fabulous teacher, and the parents will definitely learn that soon!

Our new teachers are not in the grade in which I teach (one is actually replacing me in 1st). This parent just felt strongly that I am the teacher who is the best fit for her daughter. Since so many of our incoming 3rd graders had such a horrible year last year, we have had a number of parents pull them from our school. I'm actually humbled that this mom felt that strongly about my abilities as a teacher!

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 11, 2013

The librarian's daughter is in my room this year. She told me that she broke the rules to tell her because she was in knots worrying about not being in my room. :) I hope I can live up to that hype. :D (I taught big sister and loved her. I know J already from being around the school, so I know I will love her, too.) My biggest feel good moment came from my principal. There is a new student (came in the last month 1/2 in 3rd grade) that I really wasn't looking forward to. My principal stopped me Friday and told me she had placed him in my room. I know my face probably showed my feelings. She told me a little of his background and why she placed him there and I'm humbled. In the past, I've done well with "different" kids. He's going to be more of a challenge than most. I have had a girl that threatened to hit often, and did kick others, she and I really worked out a relationship that we could deal with. I hope I can give him the loving support he needs and keep the stories of his 3rd grade out of my mind. (He's an angry angry little boy - with good reason.)

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2013

Jem...our kids used to find out on the last day of school who their teacher would be for the next year. At dismissal, on the last day, while I was standing in traffic, a parent yells from the sidewalk, 'Oh Mrs Czacza..you're going to have my sweetie next year. I don't know you but I asked around and heard you're ok'. To which I replied, 'Oh, Mrs S. I know who YOU are and trust me, I'm SO MUCH better than ok'. ( mrs S has quite the reputation...:rolleyes:):lol:

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2013

Love it, czacza!

Our kids find out when they arrive at school the first day what class they are in. Since we are opening a new building, I expect that things will be quite "fluid" for the first few days as we have no way of knowing how many new registrations to expect. I do have one student on my class list whose parents I anticipate will request be moved out--they did last year. Not sure how our new principal will treat these requests, but I strongly believe that the student should stay with me, and i can certainly tell the parents why.