My heart needed this!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mylonite, Aug 27, 2008.

1. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

I was sitting in the allergists office today, waiting for my arms to swell up, and it was obvious that school was back in session. The waiting room started to fill up with kids of all ages, sorting through papers and working on homework. There were a pair of girls in there when I arrived, giggling together and generally looking like the sort of girls I avoided in high school. Then the coolest thing happened - another girl walked in, who was apparently a past classmate of theirs, and they spent a little time catching up in that witchy high school girl way. What I thought was truly remarkable about the exchange was the fact that they were trying to one up one another - by bragging about what *math class* each was taking!

When the girl taking precalc ran up against a wall, I apologized for being nosy but offered my help. It was just a 'review' assignment, which was why she was so frustrated. She was afraid she shouldn't be in that class if the review was tough for her. Turns out she never took trig - no wonder she couldn't do those problems! I walked her through the very, very basics - SOHCAHTOA, the relationships between the initial trig identities, the laws of sine and cosine... I warned her that this was hardly all of what she'd missed in trig, but that it should give her a boost in getting caught up. I told her that if she went to her instructor and asked for a trig book, they'd probably let her borrow one - and that if they wouldn't, to call the allergist's office and ask them to tell me to bring one with me on Monday.

She seemed so excited - she even said that working with sine and cosine didn't seem all that different from 'normal' equations. It was just what I needed - a few kids with pride in their academic standing, and a bright kid who I had the ability to help. Maybe I'll get that math certification sooner rather than later =)

3. Hazel QT

Hazel QT Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

I bet it feels so great being able to lend a helping hand to a student that really wants to learn. You would really be a nice math instructor. I can't wait until next year when I start my teaching career. I have always had a passion for helping people and I love kids so hopefully it will work out ok.

4. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

Great story thanks for sharing!

5. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Aug 27, 2008

Right place, right time. Good for you! :)

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 27, 2008

As the self proclaimed "biggest math geek on the planet", my heart did a jig reading that story. Thanks for sharing. :)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 28, 2008

Purrrrrring...

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 28, 2008

I know that young lady was glad you were there... just serendipitous!