My Heart Got Two Sizes Bigger

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Dec 17, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 17, 2011

So I have been dealing with major parent woes that have been weighing on me this week. Being the reflective person I am, I have given a lot of thought to why this is happening (besides that there are some people out there a few nuggets short of a happy meal;)).

I decided to sit down and write a note to each of my parents telling them what I just "adore" about their children-yes, every single child. I don't see any of my parents on a daily basis anymore. Our dismissal system has changed, anyway...my thought was maybe because I couldn't tell them "Johnny had a really good day today" or "Mary did really well on her test" on a daily basis that maybe it's taking a toll. And I could wish their families a happy holiday at the same time.

I was just going through my gifts from the parents and found a card where the parent typed out a very thoughtful note thanking me for complimenting their child and how happy they are with the way their daughter's year is going. And how she talks about me and things I've taught her all time.

Ahhh, it's the little things that seem to make the bad things melt away a little bit! :)

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 17, 2011

Positive communication absolutely does make a difference! You gave them a wonderful gift. It is the little things. Your parent felt blessed and now so do you.

4. ihollywould

ihollywould Rookie

Dec 17, 2011

I love this!

When I was student teaching, I was very familiar with my students. So much so, as a matter of fact, that during parent conferences, I could often identify the parents based on mannerisms and appearances that they shared with their children. One was shocked as she walked up and I said, "You're Peter's mom, right?" "How did you know?" "You share his exact facial expressions."

It may be time-consuming and take a lot of effort to get to know students well enough and then subsequently write the parents a note as you did, but I bet it continues to pay off big time for you. Congrats on having the energy to do what you did and I hope your students know you care.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2011

How wonderful, KinderCowgirl!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2011

What a delightful Christmas present for any parent to receive!!!

7. juli233

juli233 Companion

Dec 18, 2011

great idea, we do this with our daily planners. we of course don't write to each kid each day but if they had a particularly good or bad day we write it in their planner.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2011

This is something that I did at the beginning of the year and it definitely does make a difference. The kids and parents treasure your words. Throughout the year I've been trying to do this monthly for a few kids, but it is hard to fit into my day. So for the new year, I am going to try to write a little note to one or two kids a week.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 18, 2011

What a wonderful idea! I may be "stealing this". :)

10. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 18, 2011

that was a great and thoughtful idea! <3

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 18, 2011

Yea Kinder for being such a great reflective teacher and finding a way to deal with your issues in such a positive way :) AWESOME

BTW - my oldest daughter's third grade teacher wrote a very similar letter at the end of third grade to all her students. Of course I still have the letter;) and as a high school graduation present, I made a copy of the letter (never, ever letting that go, still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it), and had it framed. Of course she had forgotten about the letter. Now it hangs proudly in her little studio apt 3 and a half years later.

You never know how LONG your acts of kindness will last

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 18, 2011

KinderCowGirl,

I don't know of anything more powerful than positive notes to the parents. The fact that you took the time to send one to all parents is awesome. For those who find duplicating your idea overwhelming, I hope they can start small and send out positive notes as they can. I hope your idea is something that other teachers throughout the world decide to use. I know I am thinking about it for a Christmas annual tradition for me.

13. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2011

Love it. Thinking of doing the same myself. We had a Christmas play before the last day of school. The last day of school was so busy, I didn't get to thank them properly. Over break I plan to write out a card to each student thanking them for their part and how wonderful they did and enclosing a picture. They were awesome and I feel bad for not fussing over them the next day. Sometimes they can really surprise us!

14. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2011

Absolutely wonderful, Kinder!

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2011

That is so great to hear. About a month and a half ago I got an email from a mom saying how happy her daughter was and the mom was so pleased. This had made my day too. It's grate to be appreciated and recognized. Great job Kinder! :)