My Health

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lily1989, Apr 1, 2017.

1. lily1989

lily1989 Rookie

Apr 1, 2017

...has gone downhill since starting in this new school this year. I have strong former references from previous schools. No matter what I do it is not enough; Im being targetted. My P legit even gave our team a unit which included the worksheets. When she saw mine she said it was all wrong,that the worksheets were not hard enough... but she does not criticize the rest of the team. All my data is strong and she is still criticizing me. I was up until 2am earlier this week. It is too much. Even if she doesnt non-renew me I dont know if I should stay. Even my teammates and union rep recognize it and have said she is talking down to me and targetting me, but union cant help bc I am not professional status.

My wedding is in a few months. I dont even have time to cook a fresh meal or exercise, and really need to lose some weight for both my wedding and health. I am not eating or sleeping well bc I am always on the go and so wound up. I am writing out full-blown college type of lesson plans for each lesson, plus grading for 2+ hours each day, copying, taking anecdotal notes, meetings, parent e-mails/phone calls, oh yes and actually teaching the children!

Overall, I would like to just have even an hour in the evening of free time and to be able to sleep more. And maybe a chance to sit down for dinner. This is taking a toll on my health and what will be will be; I cannot keep working this many hours per day. I dont need to take a medical leave or anything like that, but whether I put in 6 hours or 6 minutes it still wont be good enough for her, so what is the point? I'd like to stay home from school on weekends too. I am beyond burnt out.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 1, 2017

I think you answered your own question. Is this job bad for your health? Yes. Now, how will you handle that? It sounds like you need a leave of absence until after your wedding. Is that possible?

Obadiah and Backroads like this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 1, 2017

If a leave of absence isn't possible, cut back what you're doing for work to the basic essentials. Leave work at work. Don't plan on weekends, or plan as little as possible on weekends. Take at least one day of the weekend off (this is my approach - I don't do any school work on Sundays if I can help it. Sometimes I get lazy on Saturday and have to play catch up, but for the most part I get everything done by Saturday so I have all of Sunday to relax). Start looking for a new job, because it sounds like this one is NOT a good environment. You've already established that it's bad for your mental and physical health, and if your P isn't content even with the amount of work you ARE doing, there probably isn't anything you can do to live up to whatever she wants of you. I don't think you should do the bare minimum, but do the essentials that YOU feel you need to be successful. You'll probably find it's not the amount you're doing now, which should take a lot of pressure off and give you a lot more free time.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 2, 2017

When given the choice between 6 hours and 6 minutes with the same nasty results, I pick the 6 minutes, though of course still do a good job.

Obadiah and miss-m like this.
  6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Apr 2, 2017

I know how you feel! A few years ago my assistant principal was totally out for me. She would critic my blog, analyze my data and no one else's. SHE NEVER ONCE SAID I was a good teacher. My heart heart to go to school. I hated everything I was doing and everything about my job. But thankfully, she retired. This year I was nominated for teacher of the year. So things can flip. I would look for a new position. Nothing is worth your self esteem. NOTHING!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 2, 2017

If she's criticizing something that she gave to you, then it sounds like you might as well take her with a grain of salt, if not the whole shaker. Do what you know is right and do your best to let her kvetching roll off your back. It sounds like you will be looking elsewhere anyway.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 2, 2017

Depending on the exact nature of the faculty, I'd consider asking her point-blank what's wrong with the worksheets. Because of course you're professional and fair, Madame Principal.

Obadiah likes this.
  9. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 3, 2017

You are putting forth an amazing effort! Your fortitude is remarkable! I would suggest, however, that you take a few steps backward, now. Teachers are sometimes required to do the impossible, but we're not super-human. Although you are overworking in order to perform better, the overworking will result in underperformance. If you stop the overworking, there is a threat of poor evaluations on your job performance: if you keep overworking, there is a reality of poor evaluations on your job performance. I would recommend spending your time planning your lessons and (politely) insisting on block planning or whatever abbreviated planning the teachers in your school use. When possible, avoid grading after school--it's sometimes a necessity in modern education but it's also useless. Students learn by correcting their mistakes and adjusting their previous learning, not by seeing a grade slapped on a paper or report card. Worksheets--sorry Principal, but making worksheets harder is akin to making worksheets stupider. Shoot for upper level questions on Bloom's taxonomy that also include lower level learning such as memorization or recognition. Better yet, shoot for a worksheet of one or two questions that take time to figure out. Better still, find such questions on the Internet. If the principal doesn't like her own questions, there's a file cabinet for the principal's questions located next to your desk--it's called File 13 (or sometimes known as a trash can). Cooperative group work on worksheets with you monitoring gives you what? maybe 4 papers to grade plus what notes you scribbled down on your clipboard while monitoring the groups--this might be a better solution than only individualized worksheets.

Here's the goal--OK, it's scary at first--but set a limit for your time on schoolwork. 1 or 2 hours after school, max! And no weekend work. What doesn't get done, doesn't get done. Next, for more strength and energy, and start slowly on this to avoid digestive problems, eat nutritiously. Don't skip the donuts, (that just makes eating right more of a burden), but plan for meals of whole grains (I like Sara Lee bread), fresh veggies (and a little salad dressing is fine--I prefer Ranch myself), be sure to eat some cruciferous vegetables throughout the week, fruits (especially bananas, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, apples with the peeling); yogurt (pre-sweetened is OK or better yet, add your own such as a Stevia-sugar mix). Coffee or tea, especially green tea, is very healthful, but I'd limit or avoid carbonated drinks. Caffeine is fine in moderation. Chocolate (a little, especially "dark chocolate" is nutritious and has a calming effect) but can be overdone, too (I'd recommend Hershey bars for the extra fiber). Fish oil (check with a doctor first if on any medication) is helpful, and fish twice a week is also good. Avoid too much meat.

I'd also recommend a daily walk of 1/2 hour 5 days a week. On rainy days, use the shopping mall. Other exercises, even if just for 5 minutes a day, is so-o-o-o-o-o helpful; exercise books or yoga books can be found in the library--perhaps learn 1 new exercise a day or per week. Some of this can be done at your teacher's desk. If sitting doing work, stretch your feet now and then.Once a day while sitting move your knees by lifting each leg a few times. And stand up; I've read every 15 minutes, but that's not always possible; definitely don't go over an hour without standing for a stretch or two.

Last recommendation, laugh. You are now in control. You have good references; if your principal doesn't like you, tough boloney! You are the one who is teaching and guiding your students and you are going to do a good job of it in spite of the principal! Her pestering won't last forever and you have now taken control of the situation. So back to my original topic sentence, it's time to laugh. My grandmother taught me this when I was 10. She told me to pack my problems in a box, then sit on the box and laugh. Laugh at a funny movie, laugh during a phone conversation with a friend, laugh with your fiancé. Relax. Unwind all your muscles. Take a warm bath, sit outside on a porch swing, whatever. Unwind. Then, the most important step, and it might take a few days to get back into the habit, sleep, for at least 6 hours, if not 8 or 9.

Why do we need all this? We're like rechargeable batteries--we run down if not put back into the charger.

Backroads likes this.
  10. lily1989

lily1989 Rookie

Apr 3, 2017

Thank you, everyone!
    I have applied for gen ed and sped jobs. I have not spoken to my previous references in quite a while, but their letters of recommendation are very strong.
    I went home from work today and took a nice walk with my fiance. I will do some grading in the morning. It does feel freeing; now I am just praying I land something somewhere else.