My hands have been peeling ever since I got strep throat?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Apr 21, 2009

Howdy,

A couple weeks ago, I was feeling sick and my throat was killing me. Turns out I had strep. I took my antibiotics, rested, didn't go to work for three days and drank lots of fluids.

A week later, I noticed the skin on my middle finger started peeling. I didn't think much of it. However, the peeling began to "spread" until it was on all my fingers and then it was on my other hand and fingers as well.

It doesn't itch or hurt, it just looks like my hands are extremely dry.

For the past week I've been slathering my hands with vaseline whenever I'm at home and wearing these special moisture sealing gloves (I also wear them to bed) and my hands look normal until I take them off...then w/in 10 - 15 minutes, they start looking dry and peely again, like I've been picking at them.

Today, I noticed the peeling looks better on my palms and is almost gone off my fingers, but some of it has "moved down" to my wrist.

What in the world is going on here?!

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 21, 2009

Thats a normal symptom of Scarlett Fever. Both my brother and daughter had it and their fingers peeled. Your step probably got into your blood stream and turned into Scarlett Fever. Did you get a rash?

4. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Apr 21, 2009

That's the strange part -- I don't have a rash and I haven't been itching. So why the finger peeling? Sometimes the peeling looks better like it's about to go away and then it comes back a couple days later looking worse than ever. I'd post a picture of it but I don't want to gross everyone out.

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 21, 2009

I call the free "Nurse line" through the hospital if I'm not sure about something. Do you have one in your area you can call?

6. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Apr 21, 2009

We do have something similar to that in my area called the Advice Nurse line. Maybe I'll give them a ring after school today

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 21, 2009

Could be from the fever. Definitely call!

8. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Apr 21, 2009

My sister had medication from strep that made her hands do that once when we were younger... she would not let me peel them - I was upset.