My Grandmother

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by Beth2004, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 27, 2005

Please pray for my Nana. She's been in a nursing home since July because my grandfather couldn't take care of her at home anymore. She hasn't been doing well for the past few weeks and I guess the doctor told my uncle today that he's not sure when it'll be, but she's probably going to pass away very soon. She's got a DNR so she won't be brought to the hospital at all. Right now the nursing home is just trying to make her comfortable, I guess. I haven't seen her, but my father said she looks terrible and I guess it must just be her time. Please pray that whatever happens is what is best for my Nana. Thank you.

3. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Dec 27, 2005

I'm sorry, I'll be lifting her (and your family) up in prayer!

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 27, 2005

Beth, I am so sorry about your Nana. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2005

Beth, that is so sad! My grandpa died many years ago this same time of year...........it is always hard to lose someone you love, but this time of year makes it especially difficult. God bless........I'll keep you all in my prayers.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 27, 2005

I'm so sorry. Prayers for you and your family.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 28, 2005

I will keep you in my prayers, too.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 28, 2005

Beth,
    Make sure you go visit her soon. I regret not being able to say goodbye to my Nana. I was in WA state when she passed away in 1998. It was right before Thanksgiving.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 28, 2005

I don't think I'm going to go. I actually regret going to see my mother in the hospital before she passed away. I hate remembering her that way and all I did was cry hysterically so I hate to think that she was conscious enough to hear me crying like that. I don't want to go see my grandmother and be a total basket case. My dad said he wishes he hadn't gone to see her yesterday because she looks so terrible.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 28, 2005

but what if she is waiting so she can say goodbye to you?

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 28, 2005

She doesn't even know who anyone is right now.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 28, 2005

Before I moved to WA my Nana thought I was my mother. But I think some place in there she knew who I was. She was 94 yrs old I think.

13. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 28, 2005

I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, and as for seeing the person, I think it's a personal decision. I'm glad I was there for my grandpa, but then again, that's just me.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 28, 2005

Beth, I'm sorry to hear about your Nana. I will pray for her - and peace to you.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2005

I will also pray for the family & a for a peaceful ending to a special life.

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 14, 2006

Well, I figured I would update this thread. My grandmother passed away on December 30th. We had a "celebration of life" ceremony for her last night at her church. It was beautiful. The pastor spoke and then openend the floor to my grandmother's children to get up and speak. One of my uncle's wrote something beautiful, but knew he would be too choked up to read it so another uncle (related my marriage) read it for him. Then two of my aunts got up and spoke as well. My father and my other uncle were too much of a mess to say anything. Then, they opened the floor to the grandchildren. All 10 of the grandchildren and 2 of the great-grandchildren got up while my 18 year old cousin read something she wrote. She had asked us all some of our fondest memories and the whole church pretty much laughed through the whole thing...she's a riot...and it was great. Then my 19 year old cousin (a great-grandchild) read something he wrote and spoke a little for his mother (my cousin) because she knew she wouldn't be able to do it. They had such wonderful things to say. Again, he was funny and kept us laughing with the memories, but then at the end he spoke directly to my grandfather and said, "Papa, you have taught me what it means to love someone and I can't thank you enough for that. I just hope that someday I can be half the husband that were to Nana." There wasn't a dry eye in the entire church. My grandparents were married for 60 years and my grandfather has put all of his time and energy into taking care of my grandmother over the past few years. It's really something we all admire. Once we sat down, a few people were allowed to come up and speak. Friends and neighbors came up and had wonderful things to say about my grandparents. The theme of the night, the pastor said, was "Make a Difference" because it was obvious that that's what my Nana did. The church was FULL (hardly standing room) of lives that she touched. It was a very emotional night. My boyfriend said that he cried more last night than he did as his own grandmother's funeral. People just had such beautiful things to say. I'm sorry this is so long. After last night, I'm just so proud to be a part of my family.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 14, 2006

Oh Beth it sounds like your family did a great celebration of your Nana's life. How is your Papa doing?

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 14, 2006

What a beautiful testament to a loving family. Prayers to you all.

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 14, 2006

He's doing alright. I'm a little worried about him, though. I mean, you hear stories about people dying within weeks or months of their spouses of "a broken heart." I think he's ok though. He was very emotional last night. He dedicated the song, "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" by Eddy Arnold to her and sang along as it played. I guess he used to play it to her on his harmonica. :) Then we all sang Amazing Grace which he sang in her ear as she passed away. Everyone was very emotional, especially him, but it was just so beautiful.

20. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 14, 2006

Oh, and I almost forgot the icing on the cake....
    My cousin took a picture of my grandparents holding hands on Christmas day. It's a picture of just their hands and they made copies for all of the children and grandchildren and put them into frames that say "LOVE". It's such a nice picture. I lost it when they gave it to me, though. I swear they were trying to make me cry. :)

21. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jan 14, 2006

Beth, makes me cry just reading about the hands. I'm sorry for your loss and it sounds like you have a wonderful family! You're in my thoughts!

22. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 14, 2006

Here's the link to the picture of them holding hands.

http://tinypic.com/k996if.jpg

I tried to post the picture right on here, but it's really big so I figured it'd be better to just post the link!

23. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jan 14, 2006

Thank you for sharing this Beth...how touching...
    You are blessed, belonging to such a loving Family.

24. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 14, 2006

I do feel very blessed.

25. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 14, 2006

Beth it sounded beautiful and I think your grandmother probably would have loved it. Amazing Grace makes me cry everytime I hear it.

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2006

Beth, I am sorry I didn't see your post sooner about Nana passing away. What a testament to your family. Reminds me of my own, your papa and nana sound like my parents. Hugs to you and your papa! I'm so sorry for your loss!

27. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2006

Oh Beth I am so sorry for your loss.The picture is so touching..i started tearing up. May god bless you and your family in your time of sorrow.
    When my grandfather died in october my uncle read a beautiful euliogy and for christmas everyone got a copy of it in a frame...things like that are wonderful rememberances.

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2006

Oh Beth...how touching to read about your family and all the love...how beautiful...my best to all of you...especially grampa.

29. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 14, 2006

Thank you everyone. It's really been an emotional 2 days for me. I think I've cried more in the past two days than I did when she passed away 2 weeks ago. I was a wreck this morning, but I'm doing much better tonight. :)
    Thanks again.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 15, 2006

My dear grandmother died 25 years ago and I still think of her just about every day. (((Beth)))

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2006

I wish I'd had those relationships with my grandmothers. I wrote letters to them long distance...but didn't see them much. What a shame. YOu guys are lucky to have those memories...but not so lucky to feel the sadness I guess...but that is all part of life.

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2006

Beth, I'm sorry. I'll pray for you. I know I lost my first grandparent about 6 years ago & still think of him daily. I lived with my grandparents while going to college, so grandpa & I got to be really close. I wish he were here to see his great grandsons!!!