My grade level chair has suddenly started calling me by my first name?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Feb 2, 2009

I'm a young teacher (24) and my grade level chair is old enough to be my mother (she's said her youngest daughter is 35). We've always called each other "Ms. <full lastname>" whether the kids are around or it's just the two of us working in her classroom.

Today, however, she's starting calling me "Lynn" (not in front of the kids of course, but before and after school).

It doesn't bother me, but it's kinda odd because she never asked if it was cool, she just started doing it.

Is this an unspoken teacher rule that means I am supposed to call her by her first name? Since she's older than me, should I perhaps call her either "Ms. <first name> or maybe Ms. <first initial>"

Or just continue to call her "Ms. <full last name>" unless she says to call her something else?

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2009

I've never heard of a place where teachers don't call each other by their first names. If I'm in front of kids, I'll try to use a formal title, but sometimes I slip.

But away from students, it's always been first names.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2009

This is the same for me. All staff use first names with each other (when not in front of kids), including administration.

5. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

Yeah. I've never been in a place where you didn't use the staff's (including higher ups) first names.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2009

I still use titles for my coworkers, but it is because I am younger and it feels rude not to. Of course, I think as you grow closer, that feeling fades...so I don't see a problem with it. That is probably what happened here, just a natural thing.

I'd continue using the title with this person unless she asks otherwise.

7. HMM

HMM Cohort

Feb 2, 2009

When I'm not with students I almost always use first names when talking to other professors. If I'm in a meeting and I am talking to a professor about another professor in a professional manner then I use their title (Dr., Dean, President...)

8. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Feb 2, 2009

no one ever uses first names at my school and I cant stand it!! I always say ms. or mr. but most people just say just the last name as if we are in the military. I dont see why we cant use first names when the kids aren't around.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2009

Aside from the members of a religious community, I call just about everyone by their first names.

I only refer to 2 members of the staff as "mr." Both are the fathers of other males on the staff. So we have "Ken" and his dad "Mr. C" and "Mike" and his dad "Mr. F."

10. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Feb 2, 2009

Wow. I even call the principal "Rick" and I'm brand new. In front of students, I'm formal. Otherwise, everyone is fair "first-name" game as far as I'm concerned.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 2, 2009

We always call one another "Mr." "Miss" "Mrs." when we are in front of the kids.

The kids found out my first name last week not a big deal. We talked about how you call your teachers with Mr. Miss, Mrs...they got it.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2009

Our ID badges have our first and last name in big letters, so even my kids know our names. We use a first name basis with everyone, including admin. When speaking to the kids, I am very good about "Mrs. Smith" and "Mrs. Jones", but if I am talking to an adult and the kids here, I still often slip and say "Susie" or "Sally".
    One of my kids used my first name along with another teacher's first name earlier in the year in her imaginary writing prompt. I made them tell me about what the teachers do while the kids are on winter break. In dialogue, she used our first names. I had no problem with that, either, as it was a very good piece of writing.

13. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Feb 2, 2009

On my very first day of student teaching, when the kids had gone out to recess, I called my new master teacher by Mrs. She laughed and told me that I should use first names with other teachers. Since then, its always been first names. Of course, in front of the kids its always Mrs. or Ms.

I tell my students my first name in the beginning of the year. I always put my first name on my sample paper, so they will do the same. Its a great teachable moment about respect.

The thing I struggle with is knowing what parents should call me. I'm 28, so I'm younger than most of my parents. I feel like its odd for me to have them call me Mrs. Z. But then the first name is even more odd.

And what to call them? I always say Mrs. or Mr., but many of my kids are close and the kids call the other parents by their first names.

14. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2009

I always use first names.....our super and most other higher ups insist on it!!!

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2009

first names

We've got a principal with one of those odd names in which the first name sounds like a last name. So every once in awhile I call him Mr. (First Name).

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 3, 2009

I have no idea why she started calling you by your 1st name out of the blue. In that case, I'd definitely start calling her by her 1st name & if she questions you at all, I'd say, "Well, you're calling me by my 1st name all of a sudden, so I assumed you figured we can be more informal."

If she has the nerve to be mad that you called her by her 1st name, hopefully, you can say something w/o getting into a tiff, after all, you have to work w/ this person from now on.