My Gerbils- A Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

They don't do much when I'm around. They have the plastic tubes, but they sleep in them consistently. They also don't go on the wheel that often... :unsure:

I want them to see their "possibilities"... :haha:

Should I get them one of those gerbil "condos" from Petco? Who has gerbils, and what kinds of habitats do you have?

3. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

It is not the same pet but I have one hamster and it currently lives in this
    www.shop4-toys.com/images/thumb/sp60515.jpg
    but just today I ordered this
    www.allyourhobbies.com/images/thumb/sp60525.jpg

He sleeps a lot in the wheel and the tubes but around 1:00am he runs and runs and runs and runs and runs in the wheel. I also have one of the rolling balls and he will roll in that for hours and hours. I want to make him a play area in a big box as soon as I can find one that will work.

If you do buy another cage I would look on line before going to a store the deal I found on line was better than petco and pet smart even when the shipping was added on.

4. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Well, I don't know much about gerbils, but if they're like hammies, they're nocturnal, so it probably doesn't matter what you buy, you won't see much action unless you're in the classroom at night. Guinea Pigs are the only "rodents" (they're not really, they're cavies, but they appear rodent-like) that will be awake in the daytime. They're also very friendly and social. Unfortunately, they take up a large amount of space because they need larger habitats. Sometimes white mice will run around during the day, also.

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

Well, since these little guys are nocturnal, maybe your kids could do a science experiment and see if the gerbils react more when the lights are turned out. Maybe by simulating night time, the animals may be more active.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 12, 2007

Actually Rats are supposed to be awake during the day and highly friendly with owners. Personally I can't look at one much less buy one.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

We could try it. :mellow: ...

The gerbils are going to be an on-going experiment through the year, anyway. The students are going to research them, find ways to keep them healthy and active, and observe them at times.

I read that hamsters are nocturnal, yet not specifically the gerbils. Maybe if I bring them home for a few days, I can see how their behavior is different in the evenings.

Man... I come in late at times to get prepared for the next day, so maybe around 8:30 at night, they're loony! :)

8. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Gerbils are active both at night and day. Mine are quite busy right now! I prefer a glass tank for housing, and have a "tank topper" on mine, similar to this: www.target.com/gp/detail.html?asin=...e_10_Gallon_Tank_Topper&ref=tgt_adv_XPYD0100 Well, actually, it is this one, but they have since chewed the shelves and ramp to bits. I replaced them with a wire shelf and ramp, and keep their food and water up there.

I do have a wheel for my girls, but only one of them has a clue about it. Maybe your gerbils just aren't "wheelies?" I give my girls an assortment of toys (wooden cubes, tunnels, a bowl of chinchilla sand, paper towel rolles) and they seem pretty busy. Some people also give gerbils clean toys designed for humans(I have seen some use those baby beads-on-a-track toys) but be careful with plastic. They will shred it and there is the small chance of ingestion. The gerbil we have in the classroom has a lot of fun with empty tissue boxes (the long, flat kind, make sure it has no plastic film)

Here is one of my favorite gerbil websites; they have lots of ideas about fun things to do with your little cuties!
    http://www.twinsqueaks.com/index.php