My first year as a preschool teacher

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by smpeterson77, Jul 14, 2011.

1. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

I just finished my first year as a preschool teacher, ad I definitely learned way more than I taught! I work in a Goddard School, so summer becomes summer camp, but the last week in June was transition week, so some of my kids moved to preschool. I was so unprepared for how attached I was going to get to these kids. On the last transition day, when they were leaving for good, a few of them started crying and I started crying! My assistant teacher had to take them to their new room because I couldn't stop! Later inn the day, one little boy, who has been a problem for me all year started acting silly in the bathroom and was making me laugh. When he saw me laughing he said "So your not sad anymore? I made you happy?" When I said he had made me happy, he put his hands on either side of my face and said "Don't cry anymore Miss Sam, I love you." :wub: Way to make me cry again! Lol. I hope transition week gets easier for me in the future!
    Happy Summer everyone:)

3. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

Aw. Yay. I'm working summer school with preschool kids. After just one week I feel like I love them and don't want them to leave! Little kids are so sweet.

4. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

I know! I feel like they're my babies!

5. MissAdena

MissAdena Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

I finished my first year at the end of May. I teach 3 and 4 year olds, so I will get most of mine back next year, but it was still so hard! I worked on a musical slideshow the last week and was a bumbling mess! I get so attached to those kiddos. I never thought about this part of teaching! No one warned me how difficult it would be to let go of these little ones at the end of every year. I know I would get attached to the older kids, too, but these preschoolers steal your heart!

6. abcme

abcme Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

It sounds like your heart is really in it! I definitely do this job for this reason. This is my 13th year, and I love the kids more and more every year. And you're right, they teach us far more than we teach them.

7. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jul 15, 2011

Over the years I have developed some kind of weird coping mechanism through just being in denial. It does get easier but I always miss them and about a week after they leave I just want school to start again. Your students are lucky to have a teacher who cares so much. For me I have learned to replace my sadness with the realization that they are big kids who are ready to go to kinder. I am so proud of them and I know that even though they leave me they'll remember how much they enjoyed preschool and how much their teachers cared for them. That is a good feeling that makes it worth it.

8. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011

Great way to think of it! I kept telling myself that moving on was good for them! It's funny, because I still see them in their new room!