My first interview!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by missml, May 17, 2012.

1. missml

missml Rookie

May 17, 2012

I finally have my first ever interview for a full-time teaching position on Monday! I am incredibly excited but also very nervous! I am interviewing for a middle school English/communication arts position. The middle school principal is the only individual listed as my interviewer. Any advice you can offer either in general or specific to this position? I'll also take any good luck, prayers, and positive energy you can send my way :)

3. MathEqualsLove

MathEqualsLove Companion

May 17, 2012

Good luck!

Make sure you really research the school before the interview. If they have a handbook on their website, read through that. Look to see if they have a mission statement. During my middle school interview, I was asked "what does our mission statement mean to you and what would that look like in your classroom?"

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2012

Make sure you concentrate on why YOU'RE a good fit for them, not why they're your "dream school."

Try very hard to be comfortable; this is really just a conversation about something about which you're passionate. Don't be afraid to have a laugh at your own expense, or to admit if there's something you don't know. The very best interviews are just conversations about teaching.

Bring along a few copies of your resume, preferably in some sort of portfolio or briefcase.

5. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

May 17, 2012

Know thyself! Be aware of who you are and what you can bring to the classroom. Add some research about the district and you can probably pinpoint several areas where you could really shine for the district. Tell them about that.

Also, invest in a nice suit... something I wish I had done.

6. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 17, 2012

Look nice! And be yourself. Be completely honest - if they ask you a question involving an acronymn you don't know, tell them you don't know it! But also make sure you let them know you're resourceful and will find out the answer to anything you may not be sure of.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 17, 2012

Good luck! :)

8. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

May 17, 2012

Echo AliceAcc's thoughts, keep in mind that they are trying to find people who have personalities and are a good fit, and are passionate about working with kids - most people who come from a reputable institution are probably going to have the technical expertise, so try to show your true personality and try to relax as much as possible. Good luck!

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 17, 2012

Good luck!

10. missml

missml Rookie

May 19, 2012

Thanks!

Thank you all for the advice and good thoughts! I will report back after my interview on Monday :)

11. missml

missml Rookie

May 29, 2012

I know it took a while for me to respond, but the interview went okay, especially for it being my first one. However, I did receive an email last Friday stating that the position had been filled. I'm continuing the job hunt with only positive thoughts. Thanks for all of your advice and well-wishes!

12. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 30, 2012

I'm glad you are staying positive. Even though you didn't get the job, going on interviews is great practice. I was very nervous last year when I first started interviewing but I became more comfortable and confident the more I did it. I knew what to expect going in and how to prepare myself.