My first interview of the 2012-2013 season!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by houseofbooks, May 10, 2012.

1. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 10, 2012

I received a call this afternoon from a GREAT school district in NJ. I'm absolutely thrilled. I know it's still early in the hiring season so already having a interview is a great sign and ego booster, especially because NJ has always been a competitive market. I'm certified to teach English and recently finished graduate school, but was briefly looking into other career paths (re: PR and editing for universities) since I know public K-12 education is a tough market. It would be my dream to teach secondary English so I truly hope this time works for me. :love:

Wish me luck, everyone! The interview is Tuesday. To everyone job hunting: STAY POSITIVE. Even though it's a tough economy, there are still openings and people will be needed to fill them! :hugs:

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 10, 2012

Good luck.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 10, 2012

Good luck!

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 10, 2012

That's wonderful!! Good luck!

6. MathEqualsLove

MathEqualsLove Companion

May 10, 2012

Good luck!

7. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 10, 2012

Good luck!! At least you have time to prep!! :thumb:

8. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 10, 2012

Thank you, everyone! I'm so glad I have the weekend to prep! :) Hopefully I won't be too nervous on Tuesday. I always get jittery the morning of the interview.

9. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 10, 2012

I feel like it's normal to be nervous, it shows you care. As long as you can express yourself, jitters are fine!! :) Woo!!

10. KAPNJ

KAPNJ Rookie

May 10, 2012

Good luck! Where in NJ?

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 10, 2012

YAY!!! Happy prepping!

12. Rosebud9802

Rosebud9802 Rookie

May 10, 2012

GOOD-LUCK to you!!

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 10, 2012

Good luck!

14. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 14, 2012

I'm bumping my thread to say that I prepped a lot for this interview tomorrow. I read over the school's philosophy several times, glanced over the student handbook, checked out the interview questions thread from last year, wrote down questions to ask them, etc etc. I think I'm adequately prepared for this interview. However I feel VERY nervous. I had a few extremely negative interview experiences last summer, and I'm trying not to let what happened in the past affect me this job season. Any advice on how to relax and sail into the interview with confidence?

Thanks guys! I'm so happy I found this forum. You've been a beacon of support.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 14, 2012

Here's my theory on interviews:

Interviews are like cocktail parties, minus the glass of wine and the cocktail franks. They're a chance to meet new people, and talk about the issues of the day-- in this case education.

I've always done well at interviews. I think that at least part of the reason is that I love talking about teaching. And that's all an interview is: a chance to talk about teaching.

You firmly believe you'll be a great Language Arts teacher, right??? So this is just your opportunity to let that great Language Arts teacher shine through.
    '
    Don't worry about buzzwords or about what they want to hear. Don't be afraid to have a small laugh at your own expense. Be friendly, with a firm handshake. If they bring up something you're unaware of, ask them about it, just as you would under other circumstances. In other words, be yourself. That will be enough.

Good luck!

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 14, 2012

I agree with Alice (as always). Just try to be yourself. Its normal to be nervous, but remember not only are they looking to see if they think you are right for the job, you are also looking to see if you think you like the school and administration.

Where in NJ? (you can pm me if you want)

GOOD LUCK!!!!

17. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 14, 2012

Alice, I absolutely love your theory on interviews! I'll go and look at it as an opportunity to talk about my passion for teaching. I've had some great conversations with faculty subbing so maybe I can translate that into the interview setting! :D

Leigh, thanks!! You have a PM!