My first grade plans

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MissFroggy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

I have lots of ideas.... tell me what you think:

birthdays- the b-day kid decorates a crown. The kids color and write a birthday page for the birthday book. The birthday book will be construction paper connected with binder rings, so it will be easy to make. At the end of the day we read the book together and sing happy birthday!

Snack- during their snack we will play a game of some kind or hear a story. This will keep snack relatively short and include some learning.

Morning Message- I was going to do math tubs but it seems to cumbersome to set up and check. Instead we will do the morning message suggested by the responsive classroom which will be something like this to read: "Today is Wednesday, September 3rd. Today Jack and Ryan are the helpers. How many letters are in your name?" Below that each child answers the question. Then we read them together as shared reading and discuss it at morning meeting. We could also graph the answers on a regular basis. They would get harder as the year goes on.

Other than that, I am just going to follow the curriculum for reading, writing, phonics and math.... I am going to do learning partners. The kids will read with that person during partner reading and do other things with them as needed.

How does this sound?? Remember, I am coming from third/fourth grade!

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

I think what you have come up with sounds great! I love the idea of the birthday book. Is this something they will add to each birthday or will they make a new one whenever a child has a birthday? Do you have a template? :)
    Also- I think Morning Message is a fantastic way to begin the day. Like RC says it really gets the kids ready for the day and you can throw in academic stuff too which is wonderful.
    Also- it's great that you are planning to do some sort of something during snack. It really helps a lot. Last year I had the kids get started on their snack and they were allowed to chat with the kiddos at their table and then I did a read aloud. It was amazing. The minute I went and picked the book up from my desk, there was an immediate HUSHHHHH that came over them.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

Sounds like you are on the right track! I do a birthday book too. I give each child a half sheet of paper. One side they decorate and the other side they write a nice message to the birthday person. Then I put this birthday certificate (or one like it) on top from me:

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/results.aspx?keyword=birthday certificate

Morning snack- sometimes we just need a break and the kids can chat for a few minutes, sometimes we work as we eat our snack and sometimes I just read to them while they eat. It just depends on the day.

Just remember you have to be REALLY flexible with first graders from day to day and from minute to minute!

Welcome to first grade and have fun! It is a great grade to teach.

PS~What are you doing up at 3 AM?? Get some sleep, you will need it!

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

Love that birthday book idea! :)

6. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I think that all sounds great!! I really like your birthday book idea. Are you going to do any kind of VIP/Student of the Week as well?

Remember at the beginning of the year, it might be best to take group bathroom breaks...they have to go to the bathroom all the time at the beginning of the year, and they aren't very good about holding it.

And just be prepared that things will often take a lot longer than you expect. At the beginning of the year I'm still shocked at how long it takes them!!!

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

And remember you will have to tell them 1,001 times to put their names on their papers and even then some still forget!!!!

8. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Buy a magic wand or a baton with glitter and water inside of it! Use it as a pointer for messages, calendar, and reading. The kids will love the power of using it too! Also, when doing calendar or sharing let the student choose who is next by passing it to someone who is ready. Mine often give clues to elicit good peer behavior: I'm looking for someone who is sitting criss cross applesauce, and who is paying attention... Try dollar stores, or party stores. I also make pointers with cute erasers (made for pencil toppers) and dowel rods. Michaels crafts sell precut dowel stick 12" in a bag.

9. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Ms. Frizzle, love your wand idea. Even when I let mine use the regular pointer, they get super excited. Anything crafty, fun, different they love to do. I bought some oversized glasses and fake fingers for them to wear during reading block and they love all that kind of stuff! Good luck in 1st grade - you will LOVE it!

10. busybee

busybee Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

:D
    Here's a neat saying I've heard of for this.

'The first thing I do is always the same. I pick up my pencil and write my name!'

The kids really like it. I wrote it on the board and left it all last year. I think I'll make a poster this year.

11. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 14, 2008

Love the name chant. Can I "borrow" it?

12. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

Miss Froggy - Great idea to use that snack time!
    Last year I read from our chapter book during snack time. It always amazed guests who entered the room how quietly my kiddos would eat because they were so into the story! It also amazed my subs that they would rather have a "story snack" than a "visiting snack" (when they got to talk to tablemates).

Occasionally, we have played games (like I Have, Who Has) during snack time because they don't need to do much in order to play. It makes snack time go a lot quicker, because they are more focused (even though they may be doing more than one thing). And with games that have an end, at the end of the game (or the end of two rounds if it's a shorter game), snack time is over and they know to clean up!

13. busybee

busybee Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

Yea, use it. I didn't create it. Not sure where I heard it at. It's so cute though.