My first ever "teacher" cover letter...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Leikela, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Apr 15, 2008

Hi all,

So I finished my cover letter today after reading many different websites on how to do it. I think it came out ok. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you in advance!!

April 14, 2008

Dear Dr. XXXXXXX:

It was with great interest that I read your advertisement in the Star Ledger for a special education teacher with the XXXXXXXX. As a home owner in XXXXXXXXX, I have a vested interest in our culturally diverse community and would love to give back and make a positive difference with our youth.

After graduating with a Bachelor’s in Psychology from XXXXXXXXX, I realized my passion for guiding others to success and pursued an alternate route to teaching through XXXXXXXXXXX. Currently, I have certificates of eligibility in Teacher of Students with Disabilities and Elementary School Teacher in Grades K-5. I have since earned 35 graduate level credits achieving a GPA of 3.88 and have completed all courses required for standard certification.

Being eligible to be dually certified in special and general education has afforded me the opportunity to work with all students. My first year teaching, I was in an inclusion setting where I oversaw six special education students with a wide range of levels. Through persistence, team teaching, implementation of IEP goals, differentiated instruction and the use of manipulatives, four of my students successfully passed the NJASK5 assessment.

As a new teacher, I have learned the value and importance of involving parents, the community, and extracurricular activities to ensure a whole and successful child. I play four different instruments and have incorporated music into my lessons; whether it is a song in order to memorize facts, or a fun way to do fractions, it thoroughly engages the students in learning. Getting to the root of how a child learns empowers a teacher to reach that child; thus all children can learn.

I would like to discuss with you the opportunity to teach for the XXXXXXXX. Enclosed is my resume along with three letters of recommendation. I am available for an interview and can be reached at XXXXXXXX. Thank you for your consideration. I eagerly look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXX

Enclosures

3. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Apr 17, 2008

So 71 people viewed my thread and have no feedback?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2008

The cover letter shouldn't be too long, not more than 3-4 paragraphs. Hope this helps.

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 17, 2008

I really like STG's suggestions (she's great isn't she?) but I would also say it's a tich long. Cover letters should be a brief introduction to yourself with a max 3 paragraphs...IMHO