My first DOE interview!!!

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Doris, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Doris

Doris New Member

Jul 1, 2017

Good morning everyone, its my first time posting. First a little background: I'm a SEIT (Special Education Itinerant Teacher). I have a few cases this summer. I love my job, everything about the job itself is a dream come true for me. The hours, thenschedule, working one on one with students, the money. The ONLY downside is the benefits. I don't get any, have to pay a CRAZY amount for insurance. I recently had a baby (still on maternity leave), so you guys can imagine the amount it is for insurance. So I decided to speak with the mother of one of my students, who's a board of ed teacher. She said she was going to speak to her principal. She told me that the principal peeked up when she read my resume and asked if I was any good, the mom stated that I was and that I had worked wonders with her son. The mom called me on a Wednesday afternoon, and said that I got the interview for the very next day, not even 24 hours later!!! I went on the interview (it was my first time ever interviewing at a public school, so nervous was an understatement). Principal was super laid back, the other person in the room was the uft representative who's a special ed teacher in the school as well. The entire interview was no longer than 15-20 minutes, and that was including what we waited for the uft lady to come back from buying coffee. She asked me no more than 4 questions. Nothing what I had practiced. She ended by saying, "it was nice meeting you, we (her and the other lady) are going to have a conversation and get back to you". She didn't give a timeline or anything. My concern is that the interview was so short. But since I was recommended by a parent, is it a good sign that the interview was a bit laid back and so short? Thank you all for reading!!

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 27, 2017

Sounds promising! Did you hear anything back? Sounds like you're in NYC, the interview which I got a job offer from went similar, minus the coffee break.